Comp Coupe Wins Second Formula Drift Event at Houston

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations to Samuel Hubinette for winning the first two Formula Drift events in Marko Radosvljevic's Mopar Performance Dodge Viper Competition Coupe. It was nice to see a Viper whooping up on the typical Japanese drifting cars.

309toxic_drift.jpg

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOORAY.Viper competes in ricer drifting contest and wins while Corvett competes and wins at Lemans.Will fart cans and wings the size of dining room tables be next for Vipers? Excuse me while I puke.Maybe its time to get rid of the ricer viper and get a real car like a Corvett. Bruce

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy **** that is so funny and soooo true Bruce. What a shame. It was fun watching the vettes take on the ProDrive Ferraris but it would have been alot more fun watching ORECA or **** anybody out there with a snake.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marco, I've seen you and your Comp Coupe run at Viper Days. I was surprised to see you run it in the 1/4 at Mopars on the Strip at Vegas. I am astonished that you are letting someone enter it in drifting. It is great to see a car being used as an all round toy, instead of in a garage.
Now that's a sports car and a sportsman!

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes....What is Dodge thinking. They bail on beating the competition of the Corvette in the most prestigious endurance series ever to use all there talent to win sliding contests. Corvette must be laughing all day at that one.
Maybe next we can add some neon lighting to the Comp Coupe and have one on "**** My Ride", and add a DVD player with Bozooka Speakers to the rear.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would it cost you $800 per event? and would you have to purchse the tires from Archer?

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Skip needs a Drifting competition at the Viper days events so we can hone our Skillz!!!!!

:) :)

Okay man, I just had to laugh at that! Da skillz baybee!

pearlquest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somerset County PA (hour out of pittsburgh)
you people are really coming off as assholes. drift cars aren't the typical riced out cars you see on the streets. 600-700 HP out of 6 and 4 cylinder turbo motors. pretty impresive if you ask me. i'd also like to see some of you guys go out there and drift the cars at the speeds they do and the precision as they do. ease up. expand you horizons to other automotive sports.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drifting is the only motorsport I can think of that REWARDS you for going slower. Remember, on pavement losing traction just slows you down. I'll stick to the motorsports that reward high speed and quick times, not tire smoke and show boating. It is fun to watch, though, for like 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALRIGHT, Glad to see a $130,000 Viper beat a $5,000 junker! :2tu: :headbang: :usa:

Please do us a favor don't ever lose to one of those :(

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see the CC doing well at this. It would be a hard car to be competitive at this because tires that wide do not tend to be very forgiving.

It takes a huge amount of skill despite all the bozos who think it *****. Truth is that most of the knockers (including several who road race) would look like dorks if they got out there against these international drift drivers... it is one thing to keep a car on line and cut out a very quick lap - it is another to control a powerslide with 335 rear tires and have the car exactly where you want it at any slide angle on demand.... try it - it's not easy and those skills will make a lot better driver on the street if you ever got caught out by ice or some hazard.

try this - go into a sharp 50mph turn in your Viper and instead of going in on trailing throttle, shift down to 2nd flick the steering the opposite direction to the turn and floor it while tossing the car back into the turn. Enter it sideways with almost full opposite lock - then steer through the turn on the throttle alone - keeping the car exactly in your lane... no fish tailing, but perfection - every time any turn you want.... then try it with one hand, waving to passers by....

all these drifters could do that and hold a conversation while doing it. My money says you propbably could not do that - and if you could - you'd appreciate what these guys do.

BTW - the competition is not made up of $5k ricer wrecks. All of the top cars would have enough in them to buy at least one Viper - some of them enough to buy several.... get real.

There's room for all forms of motorsport - be thankful DC supports some of them - even if not the one you want.... doesn't stop us competing in whichever one we choose. Some road racers think drag racing ***** and vice versa - does that make anyone feel better?

:2tu: :p

rant over - it's all in good fun - now I'm going to check out that video

:D

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dorkmonster nothing wrong with that kind of racing and no doubt about the skills of the drivers but, for a comp coupe to race a car like the one in the video and if he were to get beat it would make the Viper look pretty bad. If you don't like that or the opinions of others here then have at it with your slant eyed buddies! :usa:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dorkmonster nothing wrong with that kind of racing and no doubt about the skills of the drivers but, for a comp coupe to race a car like the one in the video and if he were to get beat it would make the Viper look pretty bad. If you don't like that or the opinions of others here then have at it with your slant eyed buddies! :usa:

So you should only compete where you can look good right?

Poser :rolleyes:

knew I'd get a bite on this... :smirk:

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Far from poser. My car is always at track events racing. Road racing and drag. Yes you should compete with cars that are in the same class as Vipers like World challenge. I'm just saying theres something about saying I just beat a Celica, Pinto, or a Chevette in a race ain't my thing. Even worse to say you got beat. Sorry if we hurt your feelings because this is what you like.:(
If looking bad is your thing THEN GO FOR IT.

Most Viper owners have pride, then there are a few that don't. :(

OP
OP
J

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you guys win. Drifting is such a waste of a car like a Viper. This drifting stuff is almost as bad as drag racing a Viper. What a waste of time to take a car that was meant to turn and just go in a straight line. Really should leave the drag racing to hopped up Pintos and Mustangs. It would be horrible to take a Viper to the drag strip and get humiliated by a $2,500 Pinto.

But track days with a Viper can also be quite embarrassing due to the primitive nature of a Gen I and the horrible braking system of a Gen II. And the car gets such bad gas mileage too.

So I guess a Viper's really not much good for anything is it. Can't drift it without all the "macho" Viper owners crying, really a waste to drag race it, can't stop worth a flip on a road course, run hot in traffic, air conditioner can't keep the car cool on a hot summer day, poor fuel economy, and so forth...

I'm sure glad all of you guys helped remind me how silly drifting really is.

And the coolest thing about all this is that...

If I really wanted your opinion on drifting, don't you think I would have asked for it?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really comes down to each his own. You have the right to enjoy your car anyway you want.
Good luck and keep it winning! :2tu: :usa:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I'm going to enter my car in a low rider bounce up and down contest along with some drifting contests.NAW.Just kidding.I'd rather burn it first. Bruce

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth "true" drifting rewards not only the best car control but also the fastest around the track. Good drifters go around 100 MPH on good size (larger) tracks.

As far as losing to a "lesser" car. I have lost to POS Pintos, Chevettes, Civics etc. drag racing. But these POS Pintos, Chevettes, Civics etc. are not such POS after all as they are drag cars running 9's or 10's. That's what they were built for. I used to not like getting lined up with cars like that at the track, but after a while I stopped caring as a 9 second car no matter what is still a 9 second car and quicker than my 10 second street car. Same logic applies here in my opinion. Not embarrasing at all for a Viper to lose to a "lesser" car that is set up for drifting (even if the Viper is too) with a good driver. Personally I rather watch a cool car drift than a POS.

Drifting is the only motorsport I can think of that REWARDS you for going slower. Remember, on pavement losing traction just slows you down. I'll stick to the motorsports that reward high speed and quick times, not tire smoke and show boating. It is fun to watch, though, for like 2 minutes. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang