Comparison

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the weather finally cooperated and I had an opportunity to evaluate both the SRT and RT/10 on the same day. This was the first day of the year that I insured the RT/10 as I will only drive it on true top down days. It had been since November that I drove it last so it was difficult to truly compare the old and new.

225Front_Side_SRT-RT-med.jpg

From this view both have that menacing Viper look. Still not totally comfortable with the sharp edges on the fenders but it is still all Viper.

225Rear_SRT-RT.jpg

The view from the rear, which is what most people will be seeing is quite different than the RT/10. The SRT looks much taller and less menacing.

225Front_SRT-RT.jpg

The front view also makes the SRT look taller and also much more ground clearance. Could be an optical illusion as the drive has a slight slant. But it does not look as bold to me.

Ah the drive. The wife just doesn't get it but every time behind the wheel is like the first time. Doesn't matter if I am going to get a gallon of milk or off to the track. I take the RT/10 out. Had to get some fresh gas as it has been garaged since November and only moved from place to place during that span. Tank completely filled (ugh it takes 20.4 gallons! Must of been on fumes). Now take an aggressive drive enjoying WOT bursts, high speed braking, cornering, etc. Felt a little sluggish, especially the turn in. Braking seemed like something was wrong. I do have EBC Greens and they are less grabby than the original pads but it seems like I have to stand on the brakes to get them to work. Throttle response, especially in lower gears feels great. SHift feels wonderful. It is 'snickety," if that is a word. Clutch is light but th edriving position seems awkward. My knee is against the IP and not overly comfortable. I do feel more hunkered down. The view over the hood is great. Smooth endless hood just says power and style all at once. A one of a kind view.

Now I return and take out the SRT. First impression is how quiet it is. I have borla headers and 3" exhaust on the RT/10 and stock on the SRT. The shifter is incredibly balky. Takes quite a bit of force to get it in gear. Both cars have MGW shift knobs at a similar length so that's not the difference. Maybe it is due to the low mileage (about 850). Seems to take more throttle to get it going and through half throttle seems decidely slower. after that it is look out. And braking. After just driving the RT/10 I darn near put myself through the windshield. God they work! I feel the dip as you shift from first to second. The RT/10 had absolutely no dip in transition. Turn-in is incredible. And higher speed cornering, though nowhere near the limit, is much more confidence inspiring. God, if only it looked as good as it drives.

Guess my overall impressions have shifted some now. I believe my initial impressions, especially of the acceleration, were affected by the winter. It seems every year I need more performance to keep me at the same level. And now after driving the SRT for more than 800 miles the RT/10 just sems slow and unresponsive. Incredible. That's with about 400 RWHP for the RT/10. Taking the SRT to the dyno next Saturday so I will see how my bad valves SRT goes. Can only wonder how it will be will more ponies and ft-lbs. Now the biggest question is do I keep the RT/10 around because of its great looks and give it more modifications, or do I go back to a single Viper home and mod the SRT. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I still think the new viper looks like the tail lights of the sebring convert. I guess I'm stuck on the old look.

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Many thanks for sharing your experince and comparions with us.
One thing that has started to concern me, is that 1st/2nd shift some of you have been describing. Could it be related to the valve issue or do all the new vipers have this - what gives ?

Anyone else care to elaborate more - Thanks

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My SRT also has no valve issues and the MGW short shifter and have no problems in going from any gear.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang