Competition Coupe and Gen III RT

Reaction score
A small group of VCA members from N.CA. were at the Media unwrapping of the Competition Coupe. We were standing along the fence, better view of the cars than first row seats in the media area. But our view of the speakers was a side profile from the back.

John Fernandez and the rest of Team Vipers' response to our (customer) request was 110% on the mark.

Team Viper asked what we wanted in a new generation and we said, more power, lighter, better handling, better braking. Bottom line was to remain King of The Hill! The 2003 RT provides the features we requested. It is a great looking rag top!

Many have asked for a Viper that was Race prepared, that could be put on the track from the delivery truck ready to race, like the Panoz and other spec. race cars. Well they are giving it to us Big Time.

In one word the Viper CC is Awesome!

If you want to have one of these incredible Spec. Race Cars to drive at local track across the country with Viper Days, SCCA NASA, and other national and local organizations get you check books out and start writing.

Make checks payable to Dodge MotorSports, deposit amount $20,000.00. I will give you the address tomorrow after I confirm my FedEx overnight letter and check were received. There is no guarantee you will get one of these beauties but it will show Team Viper and Dodge who is willing, ready and able to buy this Snake. And if we are lucky it may be our ticket to the best Spec. Race Car on the Planet. The sales channels were not disclosed or perhaps not finalized on Sat. when the CC was introduced. I have always been told that Money talks and B*ll S*it walks. Lets Show them the Money!

Suggestion based on observations and sitting in the Viper CC:

Seats: Before the final option package is defined I suggest that the racing seat be sized to the buyer. Being a little on the large size my leg would not move far enough to the left to get to the clutch pedal.

Also offer a passenger seat for those, like me, who like to have an instructor with them; to guide them to the braking-point, turn-in point, Apex and track-out point. This one-on-one instruction takes seconds off my snails pace. Viper Days and other training schools also do drive a-rounds to provide similar info.

I think it would be an interesting requirement for each buyer to be fitted at the plant for the proper seat. This might help reduce re-sellers from sneaking in orders.

Exhaust: The factory exhaust sound not to exceed 90 db as measured at Laguna Seca. Sound polution is becoming a common problem at more tracks, even drag venues' are being restricted or being closed. The GenIII RT has to meet an 80 db limit so the need for sound reducing technology already exist. Mopar Performance could sell this technology (new exhaust) to the present Viper Days cars that are louder than 90 db to allow them to comply with the new sound level limits. Also provides Mopar with more sales to recover their Dev. cost.

Four corners: I hope corner impact will not bent the frame. I have seen the current GTS frame bent rear and front after giving the inner Cork Screw concrete wall a front and rear kiss. Body damage did not look that bad and the driver had a couple broken ribs, I think from hitting the console and stock restraints. But the car was totaled because of the frame damage. I know the Panoz can take a good corner hit without frame damage. Just something to consider.

Team Viper hit a couple Home Runs with the Viper CC and 2003 RT. Great Job! These Two new Snakes will give Bob Lutz a lot of ammo to support his A** kicking! And if and when he can change the momentum of GM, Team Viper will give us the next Street Coupe to remain King of The Hill. I have the highest respect for Bob suspect that D-C will give a little more support to Team Viper to make sure the Father of "Ode to the Viper" will be looking at our tail lights, Remember the Vette is missing "Two Big Holes"

What else do we want? D-C to support ORECA and American Viperacing to Kick some ALMS A**!

You are right we do want a lot! But we also buy a lot; Dodge Rams, Dakotas, Jeeps, Mercedes, Prowlers, etc.
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
To show your emotional, cognizant and finical commitment to purchase the Viper CC. There is no guarantee this will result in you getting a Viper but it should improve your chance over anyone who is only talking. Money Talks And Bu*l Sh*t walks!

Send a check for $20,000.00 payable to: Dodge Motorsports

Address:
Daimler Chrysler Corporation
CIMS 429-18-04
2301 Featherstone Road
AuburnHills MI 48326
Attention:John E. Fernandez, Director SVE

Good Luck!

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this something that Dodge has told you to do? Or are you just firing off 2 stacks of high society on a whim? Are they even authorized to accept money directly from us? I would imagine your local dealer or the CA Franchise Tax Board might have a small beef with you eliminating them from the loop.

I was just wondering if you were instructed to do this from somebody at Dodge or if this just your idea on how to get a car.

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, first of all, let me just say that on behalf of everyone who frequents this board, we are relieved that Driving School's check was received at 9:30 am, errr 9:38 am.

Secondly, I sincerely hope that DC adds a back seat, as well as Fred's right hand seat, so that Lil' Whoadie, Brett and I can ride along with PMUM as he doles out a beat down to the super-comp-I-got-Michelins-and-more-cash-than-skill class Vipers, a la E55 style.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
PMUM, Sorry if the following is not clear, from the original post?

"The sales channels were not disclosed or perhaps not finalized on Sat. when the CC was introduced."

When the Viper concept car was first introduced deposit checks were sent to Dodge by many people who wanted the concept car to become a production reality.

Just to make it clear there is no released sales channel or channels!

Why would you expect a typical retailer to sell a Race Car? The SCCA sold the Panoz Spec Race car, That changed this year but what is the logic for this car or any car to be sold by your dealer next door? Truth being; I do not care if the local dealers are happy or not! They do not care if I am happy! If it is a dealer purchase, I would by one from Bob Woodhouse.

To answer your concerns about the CA Franchise Tax Board, ask your accountant!

There is nothing official about my suggestion to send a deposit to Dodge!

But is shows "your emotional, cognizant and finical commitment to purchase the Viper CC" if you are so inclined!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PMUM:
Is this something that Dodge has told you to do ? Or are you just firing off 2 stacks of high society on a whim ? Are they even authorized to accept money directly from us ? I would imagine your local dealer ........ might have a small beef with you eliminating them from the loop....... I was just wondering if you were instructed to do this from somebody at Dodge ........
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dodge, Lutz's GUTS, and most Viper media coverage have always bragged that "folks sent money before we even decided to build the car." It was indeed considred a BIG DEAL.

That said, all the checks were returned. Dodge then, and D-C now, have a VERY STRICT policy on who cannot accept money. The checks may get you some attention, for sure. More importantly, while John Fernandez wont be CASHING them right away, he can approach his German-speaking bosses and say LOOKIE HERE! When can we start?!? If John had solicited the checks, he would be in deep doo-doo I would surmise......

I also think that BRAND LOYALTY is important to mention:
"I now own 3 Vipers, 1 Durango, a Mercedes, and NO Japanese cars whatsoever." Might carry some conscience-swaying weight.

And almost lastly: Maybe DEALERS won't be selling these at all.
Think outside the 2500 dealer box. When this car is a likley image piece, low-profit item, that 2495 of those dealers could NOT support on race day, or even the Monday after.

Lastly, for the record, it was not ME that mentioned the new Team moniker first, it was another past national officer who 1st posted "P.V.O." ........ stay tuned! [ P as in PERFORMANCE ]

DANNO......can I have a RAISE ?! I been werkin REEL HARD! No? Ok den, howz about a BONUS....$20K oughtta do 'er...... NO, I did not say Boner, I said BONUS !!!! {Everly Brothers Playing}

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, the moral of the story is lets all send in $20,000 checks that we know can't get cashed, just to show we are serious (not you Eric, we already know you are SERIOUS).

Hmmmm, maybe it's just me and the fact that I don't keep $20,000 laying around for use as kindling Beverly Hillbillies style, but that doesn't sound like a real good use of 20 grand. Nevermind the ludicrous notion that I'll lose over $2,500 in interest letting my money sit on deposit (which will ostensibly be returned after two years), but couple that with the fact that I am just sending unsolicited funds to a corporate address I have had no contact with, and it just doesn't make sense. I've got a better idea - how about you just call Woodhouse, send him some cash and ask him to place the order - seems to have worked in the past.

Rich Bontempi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to congragulate John Fernandez and the group at Dodge Motorsports for offering a great car, the Competition Coupe!!!! I've already sent my $20K check, and I hope I'm able to enjoy this great car on the track starting sometime in 2002! Rich Bontempi (A Mopar Man since 1969)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe instead of thinking outside the box, we should be thinking inside the viper community.

Maybe Dodge will sell these cars through VCA, or have Skip Thomas's Viperdays become the distribution channel of choice. Heck maybe even let PartsRack offer them to club members at a discount.

I suspect that we shall learn Dodges decision at the Detroit VOI.

Whatever they decide I am just grateful they are going to manufacture such a fantastic car.

THANKS AGAIN DODGE!

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pictures do not do justice to this race car!! It must be seen and look out the window from the Recaro race seat. It is truly awesome. As for the distribution system used let us not forget that DC & PVO want these cars on the track. We look forward to their arrival. There will be a separate class if needed or it can join GT-1. Time will tell.
We are ecstatic and will do whatever we can to make the Competition Coupe become a reality and a winner!!

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ferrari makes you pre-pay for a whole year of 360 Challenge events before they'll allow you the privilege of dropping 185 Gs on a 360 Challenge car. Maybe if Dodge made us do the same then they'd be pretty sure they wouldn't end up sitting in some guy's garage forever. I think that would **** out a lot of people that are afraid to race them.

I'd hate to have to wait for one to race because a slew of Zaino freaks are hording them.

Sincerely,
P "Skip's Favorite Pupil" MUM

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PUMA, did you run in the Ferrari Challenge series? If so, give the details to Skip. Maybe he can put together a similar program? I know the Ferrari racers at our event last week said that you need to commit about $400,000-500,000 which covers car and all the event costs.

To a lesser degree, I would say that Skip is offering the same style of program, and the race car is the missing piece.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
......... More importantly, while John Fernandez won't be CASHING them right away, he can approach his German-speaking bosses and say LOOKIE HERE! .........and....Maybe DEALERS won't be selling these at all. Think outside the 2500 dealer box....... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kid97 ........ If past is prologue, NO ONE will cash the checks, so you won't lose interest or use on the amount you send. If they DO cash the check, WHOOPEEE! You got a GTSR-CC !
You cannot lose.

Paul H.......The BOX I mentioned being outside of is the DEALER BOX! As I suggested and hope, maybe D-C / PVO WILL distribute differently than involvin the DDA. Would indeed be great if VCA was somehow involved, but I bet even a RAFFLE would be unlikely because of lawyers...........

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crazy couple of months...I sell bad Viper to Tom..lease a new 996 Cab as a temporary replacement till gen 03 I have a deposit on
arrives. Can't stand the 300 HP underpowered 996 Cab
turn it in after 8 days and 685 miles. Loose $10,000
buy a NEW 2001 Porsche TT that a guy flaked on(BEST 10,000 I ever lost!)..2 weeks later they announce this Competition Coupe.. I send in my $20,000 with everyone else
....my wife says SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!! I CAN'T.... I'm addicted to cars,speed and the pursuit thereof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
The Viper Competition Coupe has filled the request for several needs.

Competition for the Panoz GTS. When the Panoz GTS started to get momentum in N. CA I started calling Bob Champine weekly asking for a Viper for the track. I have good friends that bought the Panoz and really enjoy taking them to the track to play or race. Bontempi and I were on the sales radar of Panoz, but both of us wanted more, two additional holes. The Panoz is however a relatively low cost track car at 50k, it will take a good hit with relatively low repair cost(suspension folds before bending the tube frame) but it is not a Viper!

Great car for "Viper Days".

Great car for any race series,where the series rules will allow the Viper CC.

Great car for fun on the track.

Still can not believe Team Viper gave us The Competition Coupe. What Great Customer support from Team Viper!

I am surprised that at least 50 deposits ($1,000,000) were not received last week. May want to reconsider bad mouthing the Zanio and collector markets because their orders may be needed to make this a viable business for Dodge.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to Mr. Hernandez yesterday ar Mid-Ohio after his race. He said...This car WILL be built with a run of @25 initially and will be eligable for Grand-Am or World Challenge and will be delivered by the end of 02 so they can be raced in the 03 season. He did not know if it would ever be eligable for SCCA club racing.

PS...Don't you worry about frame damage on the corners...John knows what a race car needs...the front left of his 01 ACR Neon looked like it doled out a world of pain to some other car.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 T1, It's Fernandez (for the record). You almost had it. So you say he bumped the Neon again. Time to send him some grief.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala