COMPLETED! My McViper to 1998 RT/10

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay (whew)...FINISHED!:2tu::2tu::2tu::2tu:

So, here is a quick pictorial of where it started - '96 McViper by Maisto - to a 1998 RT/10...to come as close as I can to my RT:

My starting point:
You must be registered for see images attach

Intermediate step of '96 UnMcViper'd RT/10:

Stealing Gen II hood off my Bburago '97 GTS B&W:

Cutting and grinding Bburago hood to fit Maisto frame:

Totally dismantling UnMcViper to paint rest of car to match hood:

My converted and UnMcViper'd '98 RT/10 Gen II...Completed:

Certainly some small issues (yes needs to be detailed to get wax out of door sills.:eater:

Completed car has been wet sanded, compounded and waxed with Mother's Gold. Only major issue is that Bburago hood on Maisto frame has no hinge..not a biggie for me though.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Comments?:dunno:

Thanks all.:headbang:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you're not kidding....my wife told me exactly the same thing! But, I'm a bit on the obsessive side, so once I started I had to finish it.

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, you are obviously a perfectionist, it really shows in your work...awesome job!!! Thanx for sharing your project with us. ~juli

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Juli....yes, generally a perfectionist, thanks for the compliment! There were little things I found as I was putting it back together, but as Red snake said....seems I have too much time on my hands. Needed to just finish it and end my obsession with having a "real" and accurate 1998 Red RT/10.

Personally, I like the car with the black wheels!

Peter

Last edited:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfection has it's price. Well done! It is not easy to "kit bash" two different manufactures diecast parts together.

If you like the black rims put them back on and adjust your 1:1 accordingly:)

Just a suggestion:
The black wheels would look really cool with a red pinstripe. You can do that by first removing the tire from the rim and placing the rim on the butt end of the appropriate sized drill bit.
Insert the cutting side of the bit into the chuck of a variable speed drill. With the wheel spinning slowly, wet a small paint brush with the paint of your choice and place the side of the brush on the corner of the rim. You can vary the width of the pinstripe by adjusting the angle of the brush or amount of pressure.

I just reread this and before you wiseguys start in... I am talking about the model rims and not full size. That would be one heck of a drill. We would need lbstone just to hold it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I tried. The Maisto hood hinge setup is better than Bburago, as it screws together instead of pressed on. Didn't matter, had to cut it off anyway.

Yes, really like the black wheels...not sure I want to spend the $$ on real ones. Still need to complete painting of black wheels, did quickly which is why you can still see some yellow inside.

Like the idea of red stripe....have to see if I can do that.:2tu:

Thanks again!

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a little wishful thinking, going to do my silver '96 RT over in red, keep the black wheels and maybe add black stripes. Still considering stripes for my RT, but just not sure enough to pull the trigger...even with vinyl stripes.:dunno:

Peter

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, being the perfectionist you are, there are various threads on how to adjust that hood gap.

Seriously, nice job and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dave, thanks.

And, by the way, sorry I had to "steal" the hood off my '97 B&W GTS...since i see you own one!:omg:

Considering re-doing the GTS in candy apple red (my favorite color), just not sure I have the time.:nono:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but didn't you replace your yellow wheels with chrome??

My intent was not to eliminate a McViper, but to put together a gen II. The only way I could do that was to UnMcViper it....hence, my UnMcViper'd 98 RT.....

We aims ta please!!!!:D

Peter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen