Concerns on Viper SRT-10's

verc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made a few posts asking y'all for advice, and had the opportunity to speak with a few of you on the phone, so I thank you for all your help. I've been tracking cars on ebay and craigslist for a while since I'm still kind of on the fence between a viper or, making a real estate investment in china... sigh. But I digress.

Looks like a lot of Vipers are taking a long time to sell. I'm seeing them reposted time after time. Now the SRT's are such a great deal, 50k range and some in the 40's. What's going on with the market? I know that a lot of people prefer GenII styling over SRT, but when a newer product is the same or cheaper than its preceding generation, this pricepoint is ridiculous to the point of concerning me as a prospective buyer.

I've also read somewhere that about half of the vipers for sale have been in a collision. This also worries me. My friend advised me to hire someone to do the "ultrasonic paint evenness scanning thingmajiggy" as a conclusive test of whether any panels have been replaced. Thoughts?

Thanks
Ambert

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Less disposable income, tightening of the credit market, the process of using a home as an ATM is no longer available, the talk about recession, record high oil prices, the '08's imminent release...take your pick as to why Vipers are slow to sell or are being relisted.

Definitely have a member check out the Viper for you.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy one from a dealer with a good rep. I wouldn't think twice about buying sight unseen from the likes of Woodhouse, Tator, BJ's, etc. I prefer the styling of the GEN2 cars but that 600 HP in the 08 has caught my interest. I was going to get a new Z06 for my daily driver but now I think I'll get an 08. My two cents worth.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way and cobra replicar sells in the 40's-50's and a viper is alot better than those. That is why I purchased a viper!

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
China? Please think twice. There taking over our economy Bush has sold us out to support the war in Iraq and line the pockets of Hallaburton. Everything you buy today is make in China even our childrens lead painted toys. Its time we just boycott buying China products and buy or try to find Made in the USA.

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
China? Please think twice. There taking over our economy Bush has sold us out to support the war in Iraq and line the pockets of Hallaburton. Everything you buy today is make in China even our childrens lead painted toys. Its time we just boycott buying China products and buy or try to find Made in the USA.
That's why he's investing there :D

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
A car, even a Viper is not an investment. While I do get great joy when I see a broker statement showing a positive gain, it is NOTHING like the VIPER SMILE I get EACH and EVERY time i'm behind the wheel.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Bush has sold us out to support the war...and line the pockets of Hallaburton (sic)"

Were you looking for the Prius forum??

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only reason manufacturing has stopped in the US and has commenced overseas is US consumers have voted with their dollars. 86% of the furniture sold in the US is manufactured in China. Most people want an 800$ sofa not a $2000 domestically made product. We ship locally grown hard woods and leathers over to China, the sofas are assembled and shipped back to us for about 1/2 the cost of us making it here. Its a snowball effect. Manufacturers end up follow their competitors over to China for the ability to stay competitive. I have more issues with Chinese furniture than all other points of origin combined. White is a disaster. I resisted selling it but we must to remain competitive and offer the broadest selection.
Boycotting China is like trying to boycott the oil companies. It nice to say but nobody will due it and it certainly won't last.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A paint meter will not work on a non metal car. A damaged car put back right is as good as new one except for the frame.

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car, even a Viper is not an investment. While I do get great joy when I see a broker statement showing a positive gain, it is NOTHING like the VIPER SMILE I get EACH and EVERY time i'm behind the wheel.

I have to agree totally. If you have the disposable income, I can't think of a better way to have fun. If you want to invest in something, a car sure isn't the way to go. My .02.

~Craig

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of Vipers are taking a long time to sell. I'm seeing them reposted time after time. Now the SRT's are such a great deal, 50k range and some in the 40's. What's going on with the market? I know that a lot of people prefer GenII styling over SRT, but when a newer product is the same or cheaper than its preceding generation, this pricepoint is ridiculous to the point of concerning me as a prospective buyer.

I've also read somewhere that about half of the vipers for sale have been in a collision. This also worries me.

Honestly, you've been listening to way too much bs. Gen3s are better cars than Gen2s, as any new model should be ... the problem is that the new '08s are expected to be better than the Gen3s, and everybody has known this for some time ... Dodge built a whole bunch (too many) of the Gen3s in '04-'06, then stopped production, with no Vipers built in '07 -- it hurt the market. It will pass.

Buy from a good dealer, and then just enjoy a car that is truly one-of-a-kind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine