Congrats to PMUM (must read)

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My very special congratulations to Paul Mumford for an extraordinary feat. He entered his Comp Coupe in his first Speed World Challenge GT at Road America. He was immediately limited to 275 Toyo RA1 tires in the front. Afer doing well in the practice sessions he ran out of gas in the qualiying race and was forced to start 22nd. Well to make a long story short he finished 3rd , yup a podium finish AND he also won the "Hard Charger" award for moving up 19 positions. He finished ahead of such notables as Boris Said and David Farmer. Ya think these guys are scratching their heads saying "who is this guy?".

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PMUM has been mentioned on this board going all the way back to the original board days. In fact, he was one of the original smackers. Congrats to PMUM and crew.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's gonna run in the Speed GT again at Laguna Seca on Sept. 5-7. SSpeed Racer, luc and myself will be there to watch/help in pits. I just got off the phone with Paul and my sympathies go out to Mike McCann and Bob Woodhouse who both were taken out by a Vette in the later stages of the race.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
PMUM is competitive with the likes of Boris Said? Not to mention beating him! (Hah!) Wow! I guess he is a lot more than just a local track hero. Thats some high level of driving skill there, in those ranks.

What is good to hear also is that the Comp Coupe can be made competitive in a professional commercial series like Speed World Chaellenge GT. I thought there was still some sorting out to do, before we would see it on any podiums. (Obviously, I'm out of touch on this) Anyway, great show, PMUM and PVO!

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, let's not forget he worked over a little known racing legend named "Hans Stuck" who was in a factory-backed car!

Laguna should be interesting on the mini-275 tires and added weight. I've learned never to bet against P-diddy, but it should be a harder fight than Road America.

WAR PMUM 1:21

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is outstanding, and the most impressive news to me since the ORECA days. Now....Ron if we all BEGGED you would you shoot some vieo at Laguna Seca, we KNOW you know how to shoot video! Seriously I bet everbody would love a shot at seeing that venue with PMUM in the CC.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh, let's not forget he worked over a little known racing legend named "Hans Stuck" who was in a factory-backed car!

WAR PMUM 1:21

Who's "Hans Stuck" :confused: , Lee I might shoot it adding my own flair, GOD I LOVE THIS SH*T, NO factory backing and Paul is single handedly renewing the faith in Viper racing, DC GET A CLUE <font color="red"> </font> you morons!

<font color="black"> </font> Disclaimer these are my personal views and do not reflect any current events that have happened :D

Please forward this thread to PVO, thank you!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GO PMUM GO PMUM GO PMUM. Running over Boris Said who's a Trans Am race winner is Great!! Congrads, Paul Great Going!!

I've always wanted a decal across the front windshield or right above the headlights to read 'Hard Charger' Thats Great!!

Congrads again,

Jay K.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to all the Viper racers who particiapted in the Speed GT race. We "watched" the live scoring and saw Paul make enormous strides as he wove his way through the field. Mike McCann was also running 4th (ahead of Paul) when he was involved in an incident where a car spun off the track and back on - probably in his path - and took him out -this was on lap 16. The race stayed under yellow for hte remaining 2 laps. The 2nd place car had to do a stop and go penalty for jumping the restart back on 14 or so, so that's when Paul moved up to third. It would have been great to see where he could have finished had the race remained green - we could have had 2 Comp Coupes on the podium.

Further congrats go to Jim McCann who also appears to havebeen involved in the lap 17 incident, as well as Bob Woodhouse. I hope that there is not too much damage to these cars.

Frank Parise finished well as he avoided any of the race carnage or penalties. Nice job, Frank.

And unfortunately Adel didn't start, my guess is due to the damage that occured in a practice session.

Congratulations to these guys for getting the Comp Coupe in a pro series event, running hard and showing the rest of the Porsches, BMWs and Corvettes that "we're back" - all without official factory backing. When the money frees up for helping our road racers again, let's not forget these guys.

And, hope the cars are back on the road to receovery as we speak.

Event will be televised at 10 PM on August 22nd on Speed. Tune in - it will be exciting!

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed World Challenge News Quote:

"Rookie driver Mumford, driver of the No. 23 Magellan Financial Dodge Viper, had arguably the best luck of the day charging from his 22nd starting position to finish third in his first-career Speed GT race. He not only captured his first podium finish, but was also won the Sunoco Hard Charger of the race award for moving up 19 positions. The finish was also the first podium for the new Dodge Viper Competition Coupe".

PMUM on the poduim and they call it "luck", I'll bet some factory teams are hurtin today. Hope all are well, Jim, Mike and Bob. Congrats to PMUM--Good job. We will be at Laguna to watch the next one!

Joe B

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my sympathies go out to Mike McCann and Bob Woodhouse who both were taken out by a Vette in the later stages of the race.
Were they taken out by the same Vette?

Ron if we all BEGGED you would you shoot some vieo at Laguna Seca, we KNOW you know how to shoot video! Seriously I bet everbody would love a shot at seeing that venue with PMUM in the CC.
When I went to VRL at VIR, almost all of the Comp Coupes had camera mounts with cameras set up in them. Get some footage from your viewpoint and mix it with onboard footage! That would be freakin sweet.

Who's "Hans Stuck"
Please tell me you're kidding? I guess you're just too enthralled in Vipers. I beleive he's raced at Le Mans numerous times in Protype and GT classes.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently this race was broadcast on HDNET on Direct TV.

Anybody TIVO this channel? A co-worker stopped by this morning and said they showed the crash like 20 times. Said the Vette went off by the snap-on bridge, tried to save it, and came back on track w/o regard to flow of traffic and got t-boned. He said one of the drivers went to the hospital. Who went? How bad are the McCanns and Woodhouse cars?

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vette driven by McClure went off came right back on without regard for traffic and t-boned McCaan and then in turn was t-boned himself and sent to the hospital.

BTW, the 10pm start time on the 22nd is EST, 7pm for us leftcoasters.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read on another post in the SCCA forum that it took out both McCaans.

Hope the man is alright, and learned a valuable lesson on staying out of trouble. I'm just going off of what I heard on this thread and the SCCA one. Sounds like he tried to safe the spin and jeopardized himself and others.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FITZGERALD WINS SPEED GT RACE AT ROAD AMERICA

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (Aug. 3, 2003) – Mike Fitzgerald, of Phoenix, Ariz., drove his Porsche to victory circle for the second time this season after passing early leader Randy Pobst on lap six of the SCCA Speed World Challenge GT Round Seven race at Road America Sunday. Michael Galati, of N. Olmstead, Ohio, and Paul Mumford, of Yorba Linda, Calif., survived a late-race melee to complete the top three.

Mike Fitzgerald leads the field

Fitzgerald, driver of the No. 22 1st Interstate Inns/3R Racing Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, battled Pobst for three laps until making his move in the infamous Kink to take the lead and never looked back. Fitzgerald averaged 84.878 mph during the 18-lap, 72.864-mile race, which ended under caution.

“I was trying to be patient, but I had a whole stack of BMW’s behind me,” Fitzgerald said describing the move he put on Pobst for the lead. “The way these races work, is the first guy to get around the Audis ends up winning. I wanted to get around Randy as quickly as possible and, hopefully, he would hold the rest of the guys off. Well, that didn’t exactly happen. I had to force my way underneath him in the kink. Randy raced clean and hard.”

Fitzgerald earned the Remus Power Move of the Race for the pass.

The race was essentially finished on lap 17, when Phil McClure, then running fourth, slid wide in turn eight, spinning his Corvette back across the track and into oncoming traffic. The resulting accident, which blocked most of the track, also eliminated the cars of Michael McCann, Jim McCann, Hans Stuck and Bob Woodhouse. McClure, 40, of Floris, Iowa, was transported to Plymouth Hospital for observation and tests. McClure was awake and alert at the time he was transported and listed in stable condition at the hospital. No other drivers were injured.

Clear of the accident, two-time defending series Champion Galati, driver of the No. 1 Champion Racing Audi RS 6, finished second, his first podium finish of 2003. Galati’s finish ended a seven-race hiatus from the podium, dating back to the 2002 finale at VIRginia International Raceway.

“I know I had a good shot to get up front,” Galati said. “I had an incredible last lap and got the second spot.”

(l-r) Mumford, Fitzgerald, Galati
Rookie driver Mumford, driver of the No. 23 Magellan Financial Dodge Viper, had arguably the best luck of the day charging from his 22nd starting position to finish third in his first-career Speed GT race. He not only captured his first podium finish, but was also won the Sunoco Hard Charger of the race award for moving up 19 positions. The finish was also the first podium for the new Dodge Viper Competition Coupe.

Galati’s teammate, former Championship leader Pobst, did not fair as well. After leading early, his Audi took a detour into the sand trap at turn 12. He then returned to pit lane to fix a tie rod and, as he left the pits, the hood on his Audi opened, forcing him to get out of the car at the end of pit lane to pin it down. With his 21st-place finish, Pobst dropped to third in points.

BMW Team PTG also experienced some good and bad luck during the event, as Boris Said, of Carlsbad, Calif., who was running fourth at one point in the race, took a rough ride into the gravel at turn five and had to be pulled out. Said’s trip to the gravel in his No. 6 BMW M3 dropped him from fourth to 21st position. However, the late-race accident helped advance him back up to fourth. Said’s teammate, pole winner and point leader Bill Auberlen, of Hermosa Beach, Calif., was running second to Fitzgerald, but was black flagged for jumping on a lap-16 restart, necessitating a late-race stop-and-go. He ended up seventh, behind Victor Contreras, of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Tom Oates, of Chester Springs, Pa.

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, in case you seriously don't know who Hans Stuck is, he is arguably one of the greatest road racers of all time. His career at Le Mans and in German/European Touring Car Championships probably will never be matched by any road racer going forward. In between that, he's been a factory tester and driver for Porsche and BMW. Hell, he even has his own Speedvision "Legends of Motorsports" special.

On top of that, his father..Hans Stuck, Sr....was a great Formula One driver.

Now he can add "PMUM's Newest Girlfriend" to his lengthy resume!

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron if we all BEGGED you would you shoot some vieo at Laguna Seca, we KNOW you know how to shoot video! Seriously I bet everbody would love a shot at seeing that venue with PMUM in the CC.

When is the race at laguna? Us NorCal Viper guys and girls would love to go and watch PMUM and the other VRL racers run
Dan

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BP, of course I know who Hans Stuck is, I was just goofing around.

Dan I don't know how good the view will be from the pits, the practice is 9/5, qualifying 9/6 and race 9/7. We already have a huge contingent of our inner circle of Viper racers going to cheer PMUM on, the more the merrier. I will be acting as Paul's press agent arranging interviews and writing his victory speech.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan I don't know how good the view will be from the pits, the practice is 9/5, qualifying 9/6 and race 9/7. We already have a huge contingent of our inner circle of Viper racers going to cheer PMUM on, the more the merrier. I will be acting as Paul's press agent arranging interviews and writing his victory speech.

Are you supplying the track babes too? ;)

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bikinis and all, I gotta do something to attract the press to PMUM's pit.

BTW, here is some video of the "big" crash from on board David Farmer's car http://www.metricchemical.com/crash.asf

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bikinis and all, I gotta do something to attract the press to PMUM's pit.

Sweet! I think you'll attract more than the press ;)

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,
I am one of the Panoz drivers that runs with Viper Days and have seen, Raced with Paul, The McCanns, Bob Woodhouse and some of the others. They pass me by at 120+ 12" from my door! what a car!
As for the view from the pits, I raced at Laguna last month with the SCCA and found that there are a few places you can watch from. If we can get up on the press building over the front straight or the building at the end of the hot pits area. That's within walking distance from the pit's. Or the bleachers at turn four, also walking distance from the pits. Drive and walk to the cork screw is a
favorite however you can't see much else.
I'll bring this event up to our Club and see if we can make a showing of support for our Viper Brother's (and sisters).

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We got close to a dozen SoCal Viper road racers making the pilgrimage going and of course our adopted NorCal resident JoeB is going, lets coordinate this and make some noise!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he ran out of gas in the qualiying race and was forced to start 22nd.

LOL... he must of gone to the Dearing school of qualifying ;)

I guess when you're as fast as PMUM (and Dearing) you don't need to start on the front row to get to the podium :laugh: . Go Paul!!!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ooohhhh - that video is really ugly! It looks like Woodie had nowhere to go and T-boned the Vette in the driver's door. Lots of $ in CC repair parts needed now. I guess a few of the new cars under construction will be "pushed back a bit" with little explanation from DC...

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's get a fund going so we can send Woodhouse to the spa (if there even is one in NE) for a neck massage with a "happy ending"! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas