Convertible trunk space - more when top is up?

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I haven't had an opportunity to look over a Gen3 in person yet, so maybe the answer to my question would be obvious if I had, but based just on photos, it would appear that the main reason why the convertible's trunk space is less than the coupe's is that some of the room is taken up by the compartment for the folded convertible top.

It looks like there is a bulkhead between the trunk and the area where the convertible top is stowed, but I'm wondering if anyone has modified their Gen3 to be able to use the convertible top area as trunk space when the top is up? (Or is the area already accessible when the trunk lid is open?) Obviously, if you raise the top and fill the convertible area with stuff, you can't put the top down, but this might be helpful for some additional storage space on road trips.

Has anyone tried this, or is it not a viable option?

Thanks!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be. I haven't tried pulling that open to check inside, but for reference on my BMW 330CiC it actually has a compartment for the top to store in when down, and when the top is up it has a lever in the trunk you pull & it pushes that storage compartment up to make quite a bit more trunk space, and the system won't put the top down unless the lever is in the right position in the trunk. So maybe, but I'd have to take a peek tonight, I don't have my car with me today.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, The fuel tank is there where you are talking of.No extra room.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or is the area already accessible when the trunk lid is open? Obviously, if you raise the top and fill the convertible area with stuff, you can't put the top down, but this might be helpful for some additional storage space on road trips.
There's a "well" behind the seats that's actually pretty large (will hold a small/med duffle and a jacket ot 2). Problem is that the access is difficult via the inside and over the back of the seats.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a "well" behind the seats that's actually pretty large (will hold a small/med duffle and a jacket ot 2). Problem is that the access is difficult via the inside and over the back of the seats.

And I'll be using that well area for my trip to SLC :drive: