Cool video of a bunch of fast cars

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper did about 199 mph as 321 km/h is 200 mph if memory serves me correctly. I thought the published top speed of the '08 Viper was 192 mph, so this car was a little better. I am not positive but I thought all Mercedes had speed limiters in them....so what is the "prototype" designation?....I am not at all fluent or conversant in german.

Can anyone interpret what the drivers thought of the Viper at top speed?

Regards,
Aaron

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In MPH:
Aston Martin DBS: 192
Dodge Viper SRT-10: 198
Porsche 911 GT2: 205
Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4: 201
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1: 206
Mercedes SL65 AMG Prototype: 216

The quoted top speed of the Gen 4 coupes is 202 mph. It didn't have an aero package, so unless its a convertible with a hardtop, thats a disappointing result (though not necessarily indicative of its power, considering its not even at the power peak in 5th at that speed). Can anyone understand German?

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Mercedes is truly amazing. If someone wants a comfy DD why would anyone buy a vette? Not very comfortable compared to a Merc SL and now, not as fast either. I suppose the ZR1 may be quicker than the Merc ... since the Viper certainly is, but the Merc has a LOT more really cool hi tech stuff and an awesome cruise control that monitors following distance and applies the brakes for you. Poor vette. Can't even win DD referrals anymore.

Ted

OP
OP
L

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mercedes is truly amazing. If someone wants a comfy DD why would anyone buy a vette? Not very comfortable compared to a Merc SL and now, not as fast either. I suppose the ZR1 may be quicker than the Merc ... since the Viper certainly is, but the Merc has a LOT more really cool hi tech stuff and an awesome cruise control that monitors following distance and applies the brakes for you. Poor vette. Can't even win DD referrals anymore.

Ted

The Mercedes is about twice as much money as a ZR1. It also took longer to get to 300km/h, so you'd never be able to experience it being "faster" anyway.

Personally, I want a sports car that LOOKS like a sports car, not one that just performs. I'd take a Vette or Viper over the Mercedes.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You really love those vettes, or just the ZR1s?

It really wouldn't take much for that SL to make huge power since it's Turbo'd. It's slower because it doesn't have the 345 tires. Traction control is much more advanced than the vette units. And the SLR (Maclearen model)is the one that's double the price. Hp for the SLR is 630 isn't it?

Ted

OP
OP
L

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really love those vettes, or just the ZR1s?

It really wouldn't take much for that SL to make huge power since it's Turbo'd. It's slower because it doesn't have the 345 tires. Traction control is much more advanced than the vette units. And the SLR (Maclearen model)is the one that's double the price. Hp for the SLR is 630 isn't it?

Ted

The SL65 AMG is 200k. And the ZR1 is supercharged and tuned very rich, so it would respond just as well to mods as the SL would.

I have always liked Vettes, yes. I have also liked the Viper ever since it came out. Choosing between the GenIII and a Z06, I like the Z06 better. Believe it or not, I like the ACR better than the ZR1 (that doesn't mean I think it's faster, though).

I like the GenII Vipers better than the C5 Z06. I like the styling of the GenII Viper better than the C6, but since I only have enough money to have one car I chose the C6 Z over the Viper for several reasons.