Coolant Flush, Fill, Burping...Gen III

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I have spent the last hour or so looking on this site, Viperalley and Google....looking for a write up of the procedure to drain, flush, fill and "burp" the coolant for my 2006 SRT-10. I have 5 years now...and 15,000 miles....just replaced the clutch and brake fluids, and want to do the PW steering and coolant next weekend....... does anyone here have a write up on this procedure that you can share...or if by chance I have missed an existing writeup in search...please point me to it?

Thank you in advance,
Lance;)

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 3 vipers are easy, they don't hide the bleeder screw like on a gen two.

The rad has a drain on the lowest part of the drivers side. Also there is a small molded ****** you can put a hose on. This will keep the coolant from making a mess.

The block also has two drains if you want to get every drop.

After you are done open the bleeder and fill it up. Then run the car to full operating temperature and recheck.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bleeder in the T-Stat housing. Also when you refill the cooling system you can take the upper hose off of the t-stat housing and pour the coolant into the hose with the bleeder open and the cap off of the coolant tank. When you pour the coolant into the hose you fill the block from the bottom and have less of a chance of a air pocket in the block.

OP
OP
M

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Tom...... I went out and looked under the hood.... I see the bleeder....should have noticed that before! Thanks for the added tip too!

Happy New Year!

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also use the Air Lift tool to refill the system.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, when you use that bleeder valve, it is a good idea to hook up a long length of tubing into some container. Service manual advises not to douse the serpentine belt with coolant.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bleeder in the T-Stat housing. Also when you refill the cooling system you can take the upper hose off of the t-stat housing and pour the coolant into the hose with the bleeder open and the cap off of the coolant tank. When you pour the coolant into the hose you fill the block from the bottom and have less of a chance of a air pocket in the block.

I like Tom's method, you are using the height of the hose to force the air out. This will work better then any funnel.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also jack the car up on a 45 degree angle for superb quick air fart. guarranteed!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang