Coolant Leak - Head or Thermostat

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all:

I posted earlier inquiring about correct procedure to remove the intake manifold so I could get to my thermostat housing gasket. I got that removed, but now I am not sure whether what I am looking at is a thermostat gasket housing leak, or a head gasket leak. I posted a photo below. Could you take a look and let me know which you think it is? Thanks.

You must be registered for see images

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are kits available in which you can pressurize the cooling system to look for leaks. Sounds like it might be time to invest in one. Go to toolsource.com and do a little looking. They have a great selection of tools.

G

grcforce327

The housing is leaking for sure as shown by the coolant stains.Replace the thermostat and seal it back up properly including the bolts,and then pressurize the system to check it.Do you have the updated head gaskets on the motor.Coolant will usually leak down the outsides of the block from the head gaskets if there is an issue there!Good time to do the ALL the hoses and clamps if they are original. Looks like someone changed the injector plugins if what I'm seeing in the blurry pic are metal clips!

OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank guys. I am looking around for parts. It seems I can readily find the thermostat but can't seem to find the housing to block gaskets for the housing legs. What's a good place for these gaskets?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jgrakla,
First, what year is your car, i.e. Gen1 ?? (I don't recall seeing the year - maybe I missed it)
Here is what head gasket leaks look like on a Gen 1:

428CoolantLeak05.jpg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think those are the coolant pecker-tracks of an obvious old-style head gasket leaking (as predictable) at the corner of a cyl head.

If Chuck does not have gaskets in stock (common problem) PartsRack does.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jgrakla you'll need:
Two intake gaskets #5245194AC MSRP $20.50 each
Two thermo housing gaskets #5245643 MSRP $7.10 each
Thermostat gasket #5245231 MSRP $11.50

BUT! From that picture you still have the original head gaskets!!!!:omg: IF NOT leaking now, THEY WILL!!:mad:

GENI upper engine gasket set which incluges gaskets above: #4626640AE MSRP $1125.00

Less 20% VCA discount! I have everything in stock.:cool:

914-763-3136

OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Thank you so much for all the replies. I forgot to mention....mine is a Gen 1 '94 RT/10. I think I am going to try replacing the thermostat and associated gaskets and see if that takes care of the leaks. If it still leaks, I'll go for the head gaskets next.

Viper Wizard - please to make your acquaintance....I've seen your name referenced in previous posts, but did not make the connection. As for parts, I was able to find the parts at a local dealership, but I thank your for the discount offer. I may take you up on that in the future.

Thanks all! I'll post back and let you know what I find out when I replace the parts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS