coolant LEAKING from TIMING COVER....ANYONE??

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
found a small coolant leaking out from the side of front timing cover, found out the samll section of gasket was blown out, i guess there are "in" and "out" holes for the water pump on the timing cover, so anyone had to deal with this before?? what gaskets should i replace?? and how much stuff do i have to remove to get this job done? THANKS...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
been there...done that. timing cover gaskets going on Gen-2's is commonplace- especially 96's.

You have to take the timing cover off and replace it's gasket- but getting to it is always a good time. You will need a timing cover gasket, a water pump gasket, oil pan gasket, coolant, oil,and I recommend- a front crank seal.

If you want I'll take a look at it for you...

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey dan...thanks for the info, and i was thinking the same way, it's gonna be pain in the ass for this job, and i know it's leaking from the timing cover gasket, becuase one part of the gasket is out...it's not leak too bad, still drivable, but i wanna get it done before the winter, so i'm gonna get all parts and get on it, if i run in anymore problem, i will let you know...one more question, on the timing cover, i guess there are two holes for the water pump, one in and one out, and i think the leak is from the in side, and is that in part of gasket part of the whole timing cover gasket??i'm gonna do the oil pan and everything else at the same time...THANKS

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
in order to pull the crank pulley off, will have to fit the puller in there, do i have to remove the steering rack to make more room to fit the puller in or i will have enough room to work with...and WHAT else should i replace while i'm doing this job.....

also the timing cover gasket, is there any update ones will last longer, so just a 96 GTS replacement ones?

THANKS

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blew that one right off my car on the first tank of gas when I bought mine, ouch.

Ended up taking my time and did it myself in the garage, talk about getting to know the car.

Not that big of deal, yank that hood off pronto!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You should have enough room to pull the balancer off with a low profile puller. Not really much in to replace while you are at it- seals are a given. Oil Pump would definatly be worth doing while its apart, as well as an oil pressure relief valve, if it shows any wear on the sealing surfaces. Examine your water pump while it is apart as well.

Any gaskets you order should be the updated versions.

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i do have really good oil pressure, so should i still get a new oil pump? i mean i'm changing the oil pan over too, so while it's on the lift, i just wanna know what else is there, do it at once....thanks dan...and how do you test the water pump to see any good or not? what's the average time on this job? thanks again

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Cant hurt to replace the oil pump, isnt very expensive. The pressure relief valve is even cheaper.

Spin the pump by hand, if it feels rough in any spots, replace it. examine the impeller for cracks & wear. Check the weep hole for coolant tracks.

8-10 hours, if you are taking your time, and know what you are doing.