Corsa Sport 2.5" Question

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a bit of trouble. Looks like the exhaust slipped back off the clamp on me on the passenger side and flaked some paint away at the opening. I had them repaired and took the car to the beach this past weekend. Unfortunately it looks to have happened again. The paint hasn't chipped, just a slight bubble starting.

I plan to have the exhaust tacked in place after the next adjustment, but my tips do not protrude from the side sill opening. Should the tips protrude from the sill opening hole? I feel this would decrease the likelihood of a problem.

Thanks.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:....Oh no...unfortunately, I know what you're talking about. I set mine up with the tips protruding a little to avoid that issue when the exhaust grows from heat. And yes it's a good idea to tack weld the connections to keep things in place.

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:....Oh no...unfortunately, I know what you're talking about. I set mine up with the tips protruding a little to avoid that issue when the exhaust grows from heat. And yes it's a good idea to tack weld the connections to keep things in place.

Yea, big bummer. How were you able to get the tips to protrude from the side? To keep them centered vertically, they're set in 1/4" or so. Due to the hanger rearward hanger/rubber mount, I can only imagine spacing this out to push them outward.

Thanks. I'm quite disappointed over this.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is the 3" Mopar race exhaust, and I think that the tips may be a little longer than your beautiful Corsa set up. But yes, space out the rubber mount from the frame if you can. Shouldn't take as much as you'd think to get the tip out enough to clear the sill. May have to use some longer bolts to do it. ( I used the original bolts, and mine's spaced out about 1/4" ) If you're doing the work yourself, you're gonna get real proficient at removing / installing the side sills. (that 10mm nut at the wheelwell isn't even a problem for me anymore) If you're having a friend do this, you're gonna owe him big time. I know what you mean about the feeling of disappointment, *****. Just fix it and go on. For the few problems these cars have, and as bullet-proof as they otherwise are, aint that bad really.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Corsas sit a hair inside of being completely flush.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I can get the sill off in a matter of 10 minutes or so. I've already replaced the sheet metal bolts with nut serts and 1/4-20s. The mechanical side of things is the least of my worries (my degree has the word mechanical in it!), just making sure I'm not crazy for wanting to space out the tips/hanger.

Appreciate the feedback, glad to see someone else encountered a similar predicament. And yes, I enjoy the car immensely.

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you for the pic!

I'll likely get to it later this week or this upcoming weekend. I'll probably remove a sill and have spacers made for the hanger mount. I'd truly like to remove the mufflers and connecting pipes and replace with v-bands.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE Yeah, see how nice that looks. My exhaust looks like some redneck farmtruck cobbled together junk that don't even fit............funtion over form. Mine isn't a show car though, I'm a track addict. :headbang:

F

FrgMstr

Get some real clamps and you will not worry about it any more.

OP
OP

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some real clamps and you will not worry about it any more.

I'm afraid I'm using just that style clamp, in stainless. I had concerns that the band style clamp would slip more easily. I may give it one more go without welding.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine are welded also only enought to keep them from rotating. Hardest part is getting them exactly where you want them before welding.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having a bit of trouble. Looks like the exhaust slipped back off the clamp on me on the passenger side and flaked some paint away at the opening. I had them repaired and took the car to the beach this past weekend. Unfortunately it looks to have happened again. The paint hasn't chipped, just a slight bubble starting.

I plan to have the exhaust tacked in place after the next adjustment, but my tips do not protrude from the side sill opening. Should the tips protrude from the sill opening hole? I feel this would decrease the likelihood of a problem.

Thanks.

What about throwing in a couple of self tapping screws to hold it. Just a thought. Drill a small pilot hole, and use a decent size bolt

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about throwing in a couple of self tapping screws to hold it. Just a thought. Drill a small pilot hole, and use a decent size bolt

Thats what i did. Got the idea from MoparSteve. Standard 304 3"long bandclamp with a selftapping set screw on each side to hold her in place. Be sure to let the bandclamp go through a few heat cycles First and retorque Before running those screws in her though.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had thoughts of this as well. In place of screws a stainless rivet though as not to back out.
the rivets will work themselves loose. I've tried rivets on different mods, and they don't cut it. Especially with the vibration end of things.

Reaction score
We tack weld everything, nothing else has proved reliable enough for me anyways.

I don't care for the protruding tips, easy to tattoo yourself if your not always careful, plus any change in growth front to back with the temperature extremes could contact the sill opening and start rattling, not a good thing for the paint either. If the tip is positioned correctly the exhaust will blow right through the hole without affecting the sill paint.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I did. Mock up the exhaust in your garage and make sure its good. Take a piece of wood, level, or the cardboard roll from paper towl's and mark where the top of the exhaust tip sits with the end of the ruler on the ground. Then drive over to the local shop with your side sills off and double check the measurement at the shop before the tack. After a couple tacks, clamp the hell out of the pipes and you should have no problems. You might get a couple funny looks when driving your car with no side sills, but it speeds the process up a lot.

One side note, a few people have already mentioned that the pipes might move a little with heat. I spent a lot of time making sure my tips were dead center before getting them tacked. That way if they do move a little, I should be good... should...

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on running them through a couple of hewt cycles when i have it on the lift. This should not be to tough. I wont tack till im posotive of both sides are dead on. Im a little OCD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang