Corvette ZR1 Turns a 10.55 At 137 MPH

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting night at the track tonight. Got to see a ZR1 in action. Here are the particulars.

Density altitude was about 700 feet. Temps around 65-70.

I am pretty sure this car was modified. Looks like it had headers and an aftermarket exhaust but I can't say for sure as I haven't seen another one. But it was quite loud and had a pretty lopey idle. Anyone who has seen or heard one of these cars please chime in on this point.

It was running Hoosier R6 drag radials.

First pass was a 10.84 @ 133. Then they parked it for a long time and ice packed the intake. Then the second pass was a 10.55 at 137. That is some serious power. Really wish I new for sure if the car was stock (engine). All the outward evidence says no but I could be wrong. If it is stock then the Gen IV is in for some misery. Even with DRs I don't think a Gen IV could run that time in similar conditions and with negative density altitudes this car could easily trap 140+ and maybe even see a high nine second time.

You Gen IV guys need to put some DRs on your cars and see what they can really do with traction. I am sure some high tens will happen with traction but man, a 137 trap. Wow.

As a sidebar I will save for another thread, I have watched several dozen Z06's run now, nearly all of them modified and no 10's. Even with negative DA (-1300 feet) of a week ago best I saw was 11.31 at 128. Then finally tonight one went 10.98 @ 133. It had drag radials and with that trap I said if this is stock I am 6'10" tall. Sure enough I went over and took a look under the hood and noticed a nice nitrous plate ahead of the throttle body. Draw your own conclusions.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Best my Gen 4 did was 11.3 on stock Pilots .That ZR-1 IS A bad car ,Now way would i gain almost a second switching to drag radialls.Wonder what Ted Ritted will have to say about this.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless Ranger or Jaime Furman was driving it was not stock. Even they would be hard pressed to run that time with drag radials. Furman pretty musch set the bar for a bone stock ZR1 with great density altitude late last fall in Maryland. If memory serves it was a 10.9

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Hennessey's web site. They have a viper that did a 10.38.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
NA with cat back amd smooth tubes only, with fair track conditions and 7500 altitude conditions here last summer, I was running mid 12s :eater:... Can't wait to get back to the track for a few runs this summer with the few mods over this winter and maybe take a ride down to TX or over to AZ :drive::2tu:

mid 10s :(

Sniper:usa:

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless Ranger or Jaime Furman was driving it was not stock. Even they would be hard pressed to run that time with drag radials. Furman pretty musch set the bar for a bone stock ZR1 with great density altitude late last fall in Maryland. If memory serves it was a 10.9

Furman and Ranger ran Z06's not a ZR1. There is a big difference (e.g. supercharger and over 100 additional HP).

OP
OP
S

Speedfreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best my Gen 4 did was 11.3 on stock Pilots .That ZR-1 IS A bad car ,Now way would i gain almost a second switching to drag radialls.Wonder what Ted Ritted will have to say about this.

Don't neglect the part of my post that makes clear I don't think this car is stock and frankly after just looking at the DC performance numbers on a Gen IV with mods similar to what I think this ZR1 had (but don't know for sure) it may be a toss up. 618 RWHP with traction on a GEN IV may well hit similar numbers or better so all may not be lost. It is really unfortunate I had no way to definitively establish whether this car was modded or not.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is all old news. zr1 kicks @$$ in a straight line... and got it's @$$ handed to it at the Ring. Still better than any euro trash out there.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't even know why we even bother with these threads... what is this? 4 in less than a month? How about a thread termination with extreme prejudice?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Jamie can get a 10.99 in as Z06, why cant someone get a 10.55 in a car w/ a 120 hp more and that has more advanced electronics and suspension?

This is expected guys. A n/a Gen 4 Hennessy Viper w/ 678 fly wheel hp ran 10.77. The Vette has better power launch abilities. Traction can easily make up 2/10ths.

Read my threads from 07 forward. I told u the Zr1 would be a monster. And it is. You think GM would spend all that money on minor improvements? Come on. Those guys have balls just like we do, and unfortunately, bigger pockets. Its simply time for us to man up and answer. We need a Gen 5 or a Comp Coupe w/ 675 hp to quell the comp. Otherwise. everything else is just talk and delusion.

Reality check: The Corvette ZR1 is faster than any stock Viper. The Z06 w/ just a few tuning mods can keep up w/a Gen 4. Accept this and demand Dodge do something about it...or make excuses for getting your ass kicked.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Of course its going to be bad to a dillusional vette troll.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am pretty sure this car was modified. Looks like it had headers and an aftermarket exhaust but I can't say for sure as I haven't seen another one. But it was quite loud and had a pretty lopey idle. Anyone who has seen or heard one of these cars please chime in on this point.

Defitnetly modified. Its amazing that modified naturally aspirated Vipers can run faster times without the need of a blower.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
who cares if the Vettes are faster on the drag strip??? There is always a faster car in a straight line.

Viper is still KING OF THE RING! Besides put a s/c on the ACR if you want to compare cars. The Viper is all motor and Dodge doesn't need a s/c to beat the Vette!

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL@ 1BADGTS. That was some good reading, thanks vipeeup. I heard a viper NA went into the 9's ;). NA means no nitrous, no power adders. Oh wait sorry the 1BAD ZR1 has power adder :D. I guess they could only go so far with the unbeatable little 427:smirk:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
137mph trap speed guarantees that this is NOT a stock ZR1. Come on folks. Dont care about the 10.5 as thats just a good tire and launch. 137mph traps shows this ZR1 is easily making way over 700hp crank imho. Modded ZR1 no question.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daaam! Look at that trap speed. All motor,no forced induction, no NOS. Built by proffessional vette tuners to.

>> Video of 9.48 pass << :jawdrop:
Are you speaking for a car thats not yours again.Plain and simple the owner WILL NOT ALLOW THE CAR TO BE TESTED BY A MAG (which i CAN SET UP ) TO VERIFY ITS CLAIM OF 777 TO THE TIRES (I HAVE THE BUILD SHEET )0R THE LOW 9 PASS ON MOTOR ALONE.THIS topic which has nothing to do with that one includes a gen 4 Viper (MY CAR produced the second ever fastest time recorded -verifyed to be stock )Viper Up do you own or have ever owned a viper.If so list your accomplishments in the car .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL@ 1BADGTS. That was some good reading, thanks vipeeup. I heard a viper NA went into the 9's ;). NA means no nitrous, no power adders. Oh wait sorry the 1BAD ZR1 has power adder :D. I guess they could only go so far with the unbeatable little 427:smirk:
ZR-1 dont have 427 cubic inch motors Z06 do.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Jamie can get a 10.99 in as Z06, why cant someone get a 10.55 in a car w/ a 120 hp more and that has more advanced electronics and suspension?

This is expected guys. A n/a Gen 4 Hennessy Viper w/ 678 fly wheel hp ran 10.77. The Vette has better power launch abilities. Traction can easily make up 2/10ths.

Read my threads from 07 forward. I told u the Zr1 would be a monster. And it is. You think GM would spend all that money on minor improvements? Come on. Those guys have balls just like we do, and unfortunately, bigger pockets. Its simply time for us to man up and answer. We need a Gen 5 or a Comp Coupe w/ 675 hp to quell the comp. Otherwise. everything else is just talk and delusion.

Reality check: The Corvette ZR1 is faster than any stock Viper. The Z06 w/ just a few tuning mods can keep up w/a Gen 4. Accept this and demand Dodge do something about it...or make excuses for getting your ass kicked.
Great post the problem with the Gen 4 is besides A Ballanger system and Mopar ECU (TOGETHER MAKE A LITTLE OVER 600 TO THE WHEELS )nothing else can be done without circumventing the stock computer.

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who cares, that time is also faster than a Ferrari F430. Does that mean you would rather have a ZR1 over a F430. There are lots of BETTER slower cars. If all one wants is a fast 1/4 mile car buy an old fox body mustang and throw a couple of grand at it.

:leave:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure building a Viper that can beat a ZR1 on the drag strip is really high on bankrupt Dodge's agenda at this time.
99% of the world uses road racing as the criteria for the faster car and the Viper has proven itself where it counts.