Cost of a Supercharger setup vs buying a viper already supercharged

Danino

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not and expert but from what I understand gears are the best bang for buck, aside from nitros.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, would heads be the best bang for your buck for hp gain while still being safe on a motor?

The Striker head package is amazing, BUT it will cost more than any supercharger package available. The results are the best I've ever seen on any car I've done a head and cam package on.

All my pervious cars had much more power than the stock Viper. I felt the Viper was a lazy motor without that much power. It's a very deceptive car that can get the seasoned performance enthusiast caught with his pants down. It will pull like a freight train were others won't. My first experience with snake bite came just three months after ownership. Took it out for a spin and launched it on the freeway on ramp. Car hooked solid in first and second, hit third gear and started sliding sideways on the freeway. No other car I've ever been in can inspire such confidence, and rip it from under you when you least expect it.

I'm only telling you this because I felt a blower was necessary before I bought mine as well. I just wanted to insure the car was perfect first, before I went down that path. In the end I went N/A and love it. Nothing like a roots blown car on the street though. (Okay a twin turbo is the ultimate, but way out of my league $$)

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unless you know the credentials of the tuner/builder of a s/c Viper you want to buy , I'd stick to a bone stock GTS. Drive the car for a while to get a feel of it and then you decide if you really want to have it supercharged or not.I driven some pretty powerful Mustang Cobras or Vettes and there's no comparison what you're going to experience with a low end torque monster like the Viper. My friend's NobleM400 outperforms the Viper for HP/ton or HP per cubic inch ,but driving it is so smooth and uneventfull ,you won't think it can kill you ;).
I'm a strong believer of keeping it simple and do the cheapest mods first.Going to lower gears will not increase your HP but will multiply torque that you'll feel right away . First thing I've done when I had my 96Mustang GT was ,swapped out the 3.08 highway gears to 3.73's .I don't care what the top speed of a car is when our speed laws in Canada is as bad as it's already :eater:.My GTS has 4.10 gears and love it. When I drive a newer model [08 and up] I only appreciate the extra HP when getting into 4th and 5th gear and pray there won't be any cops in a five mile radius:drive::lmao:.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you know the credentials of the tuner/builder of a s/c Viper you want to buy , I'd stick to a bone stock GTS. Drive the car for a while to get a feel of it and then you decide if you really want to have it supercharged or not.I driven some pretty powerful Mustang Cobras or Vettes and there's no comparison what you're going to experience with a low end torque monster like the Viper. My friend's NobleM400 outperforms the Viper for HP/ton or HP per cubic inch ,but driving it is so smooth and uneventfull ,you won't think it can kill you ;).
I'm a strong believer of keeping it simple and do the cheapest mods first.Going to lower gears will not increase your HP but will multiply torque that you'll feel right away . First thing I've done when I had my 96Mustang GT was ,swapped out the 3.08 highway gears to 3.73's .I don't care what the top speed of a car is when our speed laws in Canada is as bad as it's already :eater:.My GTS has 4.10 gears and love it. When I drive a newer model [08 and up] I only appreciate the extra HP when getting into 4th and 5th gear and pray there won't be any cops in a five mile radius:drive::lmao:.
Ya, so many options and different points of views. They all make sense too. I guess I won't know until it comes time to pull the trigger with the right model/year, etc. I'm not a person to care about rarity of a vehicle. It's sexiness and balls that matter to me, so a GTS should be kick ass enough for me

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In reference to that kit listed, what are the realistic additional costs (self install)?

Fuel pump or boost-a-pump?
Car, VEC, AEM?
Tuner?
Anything else?

Nick

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If emissions are an issue, then it seems only the Paxton unit would be viable for you. Though I really don't even know if that meets Canadian emission laws. The Paxton unit meets California law and has an E.O. # which makes it legal here. The Roe blown cars do not meet emissions requirements in California. That being said, I really think you should drive a stock Viper and compare it to a Paxton blown car before you pull the trigger. Paxton cars can produce big numbers, but generally speaking, may not have the bottom end response of a Roots blown or naturally aspirated car. Look long and hard before you pull the trigger. Here's my general rule to buying any modded car, if you can't afford to buy the car and pay for all those mods outright, your out of your league. You might find offense to this, but it's not meant to be offensive. The wiser approach would be to find the cleanest lowest mileage and most importantly perfectly maintained stock car. Get your feet wet, fix what ever issues come up, and no matter what you think issues will come up. Once you understand the driving dynamics of the GTS, you can then think about getting it blown. Search the forum to see how many people crash thier cars in the first three months of ownership. Good Luck

good advice!! :2tu:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can save ALOT of money by puchasing a car that already has the mods installed. I bought my 97 GTS with the supercharger already installed, snake hydes interior, upgraded brakes/rotors, lowered, etc. It puts down 660/710 on 10 pounds of boost. My car had no issues and I could not have been more pleased with the purchase.

Buy from one of the several trusted forum sponsors that knows Vipers for peace of mind. I bought from Bernie at BJMotors and my car has been great.:drive:

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's honestly kind of cool. I didn't think supercharging was safely possible except for a complete teardown/rebuild.

The 1996-1999 and plunking on a supercharger seems like the best bang for your buck. And I guess if it failed emissions horribly the s/c could be taken off until it passes, and put back on type thing.

Sorry if I sound like I know very little about Vipers, it's because I don't. I've always liked them, but just new in the shopping Vipers world, and it's better to learn before buying instead of buying and learning after :)

Don’t quote me on this, but I once heard that if you don’t pass the emissions here in Ontario, and can prove (have receipts) that you have tried fixing the emissions problem and have already spent in excess of $500 on the problem, you are apparently excused from passing till the next term. So... it looks like it could be $500 every couple of years will still get you on the road :) MUST BE VERIFIED!!! Sorry if I have spread a rumour.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t quote me on this, but I once heard that if you don’t pass the emissions here in Ontario, and can prove (have receipts) that you have tried fixing the emissions problem and have already spent in excess of $500 on the problem, you are apparently excused from passing till the next term. So... it looks like it could be $500 every couple of years will still get you on the road :) MUST BE VERIFIED!!! Sorry if I have spread a rumour.

You are right...at least since when I was last living in Ontario. You have to have the car pass in order to register it, but after that you have to try to get it to pass ($500 max) and if it doesn't pass they will give you a conditional pass. I don't know if there are any loopholes as to the visual inspection and having a massive supercharger on it, etc.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, realistically how much more is a known tuner install(ie. RSI, DC Performance, Heffner, UGR) worth in respect to the pricing? If these tuners charge say $17k for a proper full-on Paxton/ fuel system/headers/exhaust and tune install, how much is it worth at resale?

Last edited:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why folks are so quick to bolt on extra HP when these cars are already high HP machines. IF they were putting out 300 HP to begin with we would all be looking for 400 or 500 HP. Where does this number end. If you are new to Vipers I would spend the time with a stock one and decide if having 100 to 150 more ponies is really worth the extra money. That way you will get a feel for the car and whatever mods you decide to do down the line you will know what they are about and not have to worry about someone else's work under the hood.

just my 2 cents and to answer your question. cheaper to by modded.

good luck

Bruce

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cheaper to buy already built but may cause more headaches. Do your research on the car and as stated, have a tech go through the car in and out (leakdown, etc). If you get a modded car thats been pushed and after a 1000 miles it breaks down on you will end up paying more in the end (removal, fix, rebuild). if you have the cash, buy one they can be verified or build one yourself so you know what went into it.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Roe supercharged GTS has past emissions mulitple times (with prior owner). Buying an already supercharged car will save alot of money. Installation of a s/c is pretty straight forward and defects in the installation should be obvious. Allways ask how many miles are on the supercharger and how much boost it's been running. Also ask about supporting mods and engine managment. Tune is one of the most important things and I would verify it on a dyno prior to a WOT run.

I would say 60% of the original sale price is what one would recieve for modified parts (Superchargers, headers, ect...)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, if you cars value is going UP, my mods are too...... :)

if i can just get pemberton to agree now, id be set

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, if you cars value is going UP, my mods are too...... :)

if i can just get pemberton to agree now, id be set

Your car will always be valuable Plum, it's never been over 60 mph.....;)
(In the US anyway)

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand anyone that says these cars come with enough power. For those that don't race, I could see it. However, I enjoy pushing a car and pushing it HARD. I never drove a viper. I never sat in a viper, I never even saw my first viper before I bought it. The first time I drove it, the car was set at 1000hp (twin turbo gts). I simply acted like an adult and not like an idiot. I never once had the car in a bad situation while driving it.

Any car is dangerous in a *****'s hands. Everyone is asking you the wrong questions, IMO. What matters is how much you can spend on the car you want to purchase, that should answer all your questions. With the ton of modded cars available, there is no way I'd mod my own at this point. If you can't afford what you want, wait till you can. Will save you a ton in the long run.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why folks are so quick to bolt on extra HP when these cars are already high HP machines. IF they were putting out 300 HP to begin with we would all be looking for 400 or 500 HP. Where does this number end.

That is true to a sense. if i were to buy a 300HP mustang, I would want more (I've lived the stang world for most of my life). The way I look at it in the Viper world is if I buy a cheaper Gen II, I will want it to end up having the balls of a Gen 4 Viper. Same as if I bought a 95 mustang 5.0, I'd be greedy enough to want it to perform as good as a 2011 mustang GT500 (Saleen, Roush, etc). The Gen 4 viper runs with the exotic cars in the 1/4 mile, but the gen II does not (from factory). It's understandable to me, but maybe not everyone. Not trying to turn this into a ******* match, but i'd be happy with 600hp, even if it cost me a bit more from the beginning

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4 viper runs with the exotic cars in the 1/4 mile, but the gen II does not (from factory).

Most Gen2's are capable of 12 second 1/4's with a good driver. Some people have ripped off 11.70's or better. That's pretty darn exotic in most people's books.

Just wait till you get one sideways at 60mph and then tell us how "tame" a stock Gen2 is:lmao:

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Gen2's are capable of 12 second 1/4's with a good driver. Some people have ripped off 11.70's or better. That's pretty darn exotic in most people's books.

Just wait till you get one sideways at 60mph and then tell us how "tame" a stock Gen2 is:lmao:

I thought from factory the Gen 2 ran 12.2. I figure 1/4 mile times are like MPG ratings...you'll never run what the factory tell you. Add an average driver (like me) and there is upper 12's/low 13's? If that is the way it works, i'd be running with the new mustangs and camaros...not the exotic cars hahah

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought from factory the Gen 2 ran 12.2. I figure 1/4 mile times are like MPG ratings...you'll never run what the factory tell you. Add an average driver (like me) and there is upper 12's/low 13's?

In the owners manual for my old 1997 GTS, it actually said that the 1997 GTS will run a 12.80 1/4 mi....(It NEVER said 12.20's), however my GTS was bone stock with the street tires and ran 12.20s -12.30s all day... It ran 7.80s 1/8th mi all day.

In my present 1998 Viper Owners manual it says the 1998 will run 12.4 at 116 mph... Just for your info, it anyone cares. :dunno: :eater:

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is true to a sense. if i were to buy a 300HP mustang, I would want more (I've lived the stang world for most of my life). The way I look at it in the Viper world is if I buy a cheaper Gen II, I will want it to end up having the balls of a Gen 4 Viper. Same as if I bought a 95 mustang 5.0, I'd be greedy enough to want it to perform as good as a 2011 mustang GT500 (Saleen, Roush, etc). The Gen 4 viper runs with the exotic cars in the 1/4 mile, but the gen II does not (from factory). It's understandable to me, but maybe not everyone. Not trying to turn this into a ******* match, but i'd be happy with 600hp, even if it cost me a bit more from the beginning

I was in the same place just last month, to buy already modded or start with stock and build "my" car. I wanted one with a supercharger, lowered suspension and aftermarket wheels. I found everything I was looking for and more in the car I bought. It would have cost much more to start from stock and build it myself.

P.S. I'm a Mustang guy too.

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOT ANY MORE!!!!:rolaugh: :2tu: :D

We'll see, I've never driven my Viper, I'm in Iraq right now. Aside from the 66 Mustang I also have a 65 Barracuda. The Mustang has a Viper T56 and 06 Viper seats. (I'm originally from Crestview)

Last edited:

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the Marines in the jungle in VietNam Sep 66 thru May 68. I didn't realize you are in IRAC..Be safe and come home and enjoy your Viper. Is that why avatar is lotsamud? Keep your head down! We will pray for you! :drill::usa::dig::thankyou: That's a big Thank You for serving our country. :headbang::greatday:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960