Could a Convertible Save Viper?

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would think that if saving the current car was a priority, they would have looked into that.

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I think there holding there cards close to the vest

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That law baffles me. If seat belts are good enough for an open cockpit car, how are they not good enough for a closed one? It effectively says that a convertible is the minimum level of acceptance, so to me that means if you are as good as that you should be accepted.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That law baffles me. If seat belts are good enough for an open cockpit car, how are they not good enough for a closed one? It effectively says that a convertible is the minimum level of acceptance, so to me that means if you are as good as that you should be accepted.

A convertible Viper would exempt it from the new safety standards, according to the language, however, there are many convertibles that have side air bags.
http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/Vehicles+with+Side+Air+Bags

I don't know if the regulation would allow FCA an exemption from the 100% compliance required of ALL vehicles produced after 2017?

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 226 deals with ejection mitigation usually accomplished together with basic design, belts and air bags. I think the problem with the Viper, in it's current configuration is two fold. It doesn't meet the new minimum requirements and can't be modified to meet them without major redesign and re-tooling costs. For a very low production vehicle I think the decision is a financial and business decision on the part of FCA. Whether or not the loss of the Viper will also result in additional sales down the product line is unknown. There was a survey a while back asking Viper owners what other Chrysler vehicles were in their household. I suspect that was to help show potential impact on the market and what the ownership and/ or loss of the Viper model could have on future FCA sales?

To see the requirements in it's final language, 300+ pages: (Open pdf file under 226)
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulations/Vehicles?ruleSortBy=fmvss&ruleOrder=asc

It is interesting to read that the government estimates the average cost to comply per vehicle is $31 each!

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is gone.
Let's face it, Dodge and probably FCA (the Italians) want it gone. It's not the volume seller they want.
It's out performs or equals some of Ferrari's offerings.
They are using the Federal regulations as a reason to kill it and close Connor Ave per the new agreement with the UAW, thus saving them money.
They will not offer it in ragtop, there is no business case to be made for that.
It makes me sad. But I do still love my Viper

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not going to drink the kool-aide, just like I didn't drink the kool-aide in 2010.

Yes, my glass is half full

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If DODGE keeps up the "GREAT ADVERTISING" of Viper it has done in the past--"Viper is history"
What plans does DODGE have to correct the grenade engines in the Gen 5 '13 and part of '14 cars????
Apparently FORD's GT will have the door window airbags or will it???
If Viper finally comes to a end what will happen to our existing Vipers resale wise??

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 50 years they will be worth a few more dollars than today!
If DODGE keeps up the "GREAT ADVERTISING" of Viper it has done in the past--"Viper is history"
What plans does DODGE have to correct the grenade engines in the Gen 5 '13 and part of '14 cars????
If Viper finally comes to a end what will happen to our existing Vipers resale wise??

OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score

Being a MOPAR Guy, don't really care what ford does

Wish I could say more about the engine stuff, just not far enough in my research, but I don't think the failures are as wide spread as people think... could be wrong, I don't know. I guess time will tell

Vipers... well....

Based on what I think I see, my thought is the prices will continue to drop resale wise. The Viper isn't old enough for a general rise in value. Again, just my thoughts... The ones that will increase in value first will be those with good provenance like 1992 #001

opinions, well, you know what they say

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder where the Viper would be today if it had launched a roadster/convertible before the coupe. I know we would have missed out on the ALMS/Tudor Racing, which has been awesome. But, I still can't help but wonder.

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a MOPAR Guy, don't really care what ford does

Wish I could say more about the engine stuff, just not far enough in my research, but I don't think the failures are as wide spread as people think... could be wrong, I don't know. I guess time will tell

Vipers... well....

Based on what I think I see, my thought is the prices will continue to drop resale wise. The Viper isn't old enough for a general rise in value. Again, just my thoughts... The ones that will increase in value first will be those with good provenance like 1992 #001

opinions, well, you know what they say

I have probably been a MOPAR guy way before you
If you don't care about what other car manufacturers are doing that is sad
IF FORD GT can get by without door airbags and Viper has to have them I would think something is wrong. And CORVETTE??????
I will say it again and know you will DELETE this post
When Dodge Viper dropped the ball GM/CORVETTE picked it up and ran with it POWER OPTIONED it to the max and matched Horsepower
Corvette looked very similar to Viper till the C7 Vettes came out-Good thing GM didn't care what Dodge was doing
Gen 5 Vipers are still playing CATCH UP to CORVETTE and how many Vipers are built each year vs. Corvette- - - VERY FEW

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
V

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Why would I delete your post

I did fix your quote however

broomrider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have probably been a MOPAR guy way before you
If you don't care about what other car manufacturers are doing that is sad
IF FORD GT can get by without door airbags and Viper has to have them I would think something is wrong. And CORVETTE??????
I will say it again and know you will DELETE this post
When Dodge Viper dropped the ball GM/CORVETTE picked it up and ran with it POWER OPTIONED it to the max and matched Horsepower
Corvette looked very similar to Viper till the C7 Vettes came out-Good thing GM didn't care what Dodge was doing
Gen 5 Vipers are still playing CATCH UP to CORVETTE and how many Vipers are built each year vs. Corvette- - - VERY FEW
Bad ASSS Kar,
Come on Really? I myself have been edited for comnents. Jeff isn't picking on you. BTW it's his job to moderate. He is the most impartial moderator I have ever
seen. Everybody here who posts, knows at some point they could potentially be edited or comments deleted all together. Everybody here has their own
Opinions and everybody has irritated each other at some point. I like a lot of cars Ford is not my favorite manufacturer, so what. Nothing sad about it. No reason
to get a chapped *** over it. Grow up.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Playing catch up?. How many track records does Corvette hold now.? You know, with the C7 ZO7 that Viper is playing "catch up too"?

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playing catch up?. How many track records does Corvette hold now.? You know, with the C7 ZO7 that Viper is playing "catch up too"?

I guess the way I see it CORVETTE has 63 years of production and how many hundred thousands built missing only 1 production year-'83
VIPER has 24 years of production missing '07,'11 and '12 and maybe 32,000 cars built total with production to stop in '16 or '17
I try looking at the TOTAL picture not just ONE area

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I guess the way I see it CORVETTE has 63 years of production and how many hundred thousands built missing only 1 production year-'83
VIPER has 24 years of production missing '07,'11 and '12 and maybe 32,000 cars built total with production to stop in '16 or '17
I try looking at the TOTAL picture not just ONE area

Well the Ford GT must be just an absolute failure then uh.? The majority of Viper owners are proud that our cars are "rare", and hand assembled. I for one am glad I don't see one on every corner like Vetts.

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Ford GT must be just an absolute failure then uh.? The majority of Viper owners are proud that our cars are "rare", and hand assembled. I for one am glad I don't see one on every corner like Vetts.

I guess you are right about the FORD GT their resale value is ****ty isn't it
Just think they are going to try and produce them again, crappy design and a V6-what a joke
How much are they going to sell for?????

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I guess you are right about the FORD GT their resale value is ****ty isn't it
Just think they are going to try and produce them again, crappy design and a V6-what a joke
How much are they going to sell for?????

I don't what they will go for. I know there is a limited amount with a lot of people waiting for them. Seems like a win to me.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing that could save the viper is the people no one is buying them like they are buying the corvette !!!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456