Coupe rear glass removal

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been talking to some local glass shops about removing the rear glass on my ACR, and they all predict some pretty significant damage (they use a sawzall to buzz through the glue). There has to be a way to get the glass off without breaking it or roughing up the hatch too bad. Anyone?

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say how they are installed/fitted. I can imagine just like front glass, not much chance of saving it.
Why are you replacing?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Jim. What about removing the hinges from the body side...get another set for the raceglass???

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jim...I hade a brain-fade...was thinking of your Gen II (for no good reason)...sorry. I don't believe that you would want to do that to a IV.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, it might be a good idea if I could find a salvage car to rob. ;) You should come to Mid-Ohio next week. 450 cars entered! Did you see them install rear glass when you were visiting the factory? How much adhesive to they typically use? It feels like at least an inner and outer bead of goop...maybe a crazy amount, not sure.

paul tat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, it will be impossible to get your rear glass out without paint damage. I had mine replaced on my 06' FE coupe and had to have part of the hatch repainted. They weren't lying when they told you it requires a sawzall. Watching the removal made me sick, but when you have the glass halfway out there isn't much you can do at that point about the damage. Your best shot is finding another hatch off of a wrecked ACR. Let me know what you decide.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I checked with a few people and they recommended drilling a little hole and through the glue parallel to the window (right against the glass) and then doing the tooth floss/fishing wire trick, use a little heat from a heat gun of necessary, if this doesn't work I know a guy with a few hatches with no glass in them.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good suggestions, All. I did speak with Jim last night, noting time is getting short...may have to delay this til next season.

Remembering just how hard that glue was on a 1997 GTS that Tom Sessions worked on this Spring, I wonder how successful the "tooth floss/fishing wire trick" would be...even with heat. It might take a Gigli saw instead of floss/wire...never mind the scratches!! :)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good suggestions, All. I did speak with Jim last night, noting time is getting short...may have to delay this til next season.

Remembering just how hard that glue was on a 1997 GTS that Tom Sessions worked on this Spring, I wonder how successful the "tooth floss/fishing wire trick" would be...even with heat. It might take a Gigli saw instead of floss/wire...never mind the scratches!! :)

A thin coping saw wire blade with handles on each end may do the trick and be relatively quick,

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Jim,

I checked with a few people and they recommended drilling a little hole and through the glue parallel to the window (right against the glass) and then doing the tooth floss/fishing wire trick, use a little heat from a heat gun of necessary, if this doesn't work I know a guy with a few hatches with no glass in them.

Would you mind sharing the name and number of the guy "with a few rear hatches without glass?"

Installing race glass or plexiglass could save a bunch of weight which is also very high.

Dan
[email protected]

Reaction score
Jim,

Hopefully you are not talking about our little friend in MO. LOL

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Anybody know how much weight savings we're talking about when swapping out the OE rear glass for race glass or plexi-glass?

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know how much weight savings we're talking about when swapping out the OE rear glass for race glass or plexi-glass?

Race glass is 1/2 the weight of regular glass at the same thickness, but most are 3/16 vs 1/4 that your hatch glass is, so stock weight x .5 x .75

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The weight of an ACR rear hatch is 85 lbs.
Not nearly as heavy as what a bunch of us were guessing before we actually put it on a scale.

Removing the glass and changing it to race glass or plexi might yield a weight savings of about 40 - 50 lbs. Maybe less depending on the weight difference between the two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960