Coupe vs Convertible...am I missing anything?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
im 6 feet and with the top down the covertable is fine but with the top up its verry cramped

Its a sports car. Its not supposed to be plush and roomy. Thats what the 4 door sedan and SUV are for. Im 6ft, about 190lbs and its perfect. With the adjustability of the seats and pedals almost anyone can fit in this car.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do plan on doing a few NASA events with the car, but I am not planning on going too crazy with it. Is the difference between coupe and vert that dramatic on the race track?

Not much difference, particularly if you install a decent roll bar, which will improve rigidity. I run NASA in my convertible and have a blast. These cars are all very stiff, and body roll isn't really an issue, even under severe cornering.

A convertible is a lot of fun. I live in Colorado, which has a lot of beautiful days and lots of beautiful scenery. Driving a convertible along a twisty mountain road is an experience that just can't be matched by a closed car.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yah, the GTS is only slightly more rigid and a 6 point roll bar may even stiffen the car more than a GTS. May make the car unsafe in an automotive accident though. My GTS survived a head-on with a tractor trailer. Sorry, I meant we survived the accident, that Viper was a write off. That's why I don't want to instal a roll bar into my car. They are safer for highspeed crashes, but not necessarily in accidents with other cars as they don't absorb impacts like the car frame was designed to do.

The GTS/coupe is also a little faster after 100mph and at those speeds probably gets better mileage. LOL.

Truthfully, I love the GEN 2 looks and storage. When I bought this GTS it was because the Gen 3 wouldn't do the job for me. I paid $55K for it with 20,000mi. because it was what I wanted. I've spent another 10,000 adding a few extras to make the car perfect! But it's not for sale.

Ted

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yah, the GTS is only slightly more rigid and a 6 point roll bar may even stiffen the car more than a GTS. May make the car unsafe in an automotive accident though. My GTS survived a head-on with a tractor trailer. Sorry, I meant we survived the accident, that Viper was a write off. That's why I don't want to instal a roll bar into my car. They are safer for highspeed crashes, but not necessarily in accidents with other cars as they don't absorb impacts like the car frame was designed to do.

The GTS/coupe is also a little faster after 100mph and at those speeds probably gets better mileage. LOL.

Truthfully, I love the GEN 2 looks and storage. When I bought this GTS it was because the Gen 3 wouldn't do the job for me. I paid $55K for it with 20,000mi. because it was what I wanted. I've spent another 10,000 adding a few extras to make the car perfect! But it's not for sale.

Ted
I believe for SRT's the coupe and convertible are fairly equivalent in speed/drag. Essentially the same top speed with top up as the coupe. Not sure how a roll bar would effect a head on collision. I would expect very ittle. Now a side impact or rollover I would again expect improved protection. Assuming the bar is not in hitting range of the driver/passenger.

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Theres nothing like being able to drop the top, just buy a autoform hardtop and you have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a Gen III Viper, but with my Gen II roadster I regularly run at local tracks without problems and local drag strips allow down to 11.5.

I would definitely add a rollbar if I got a newer convertible Viper, both for occasional track use and also for better roll over protection.

I added the seat lowering kit and it not only allows for better head room (and helmet with the top on/up) but it also provides a better view through the front window for those of us who are 6'+. Plus it's an easy mod to install. :cool:

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like rcl, my blue/white '08 convert has the autoform rollbar. I prefer a convert for use in Louisiana (I've had 3 Viper converts and one coupe), so I added the rollbar for highway safety, rollover. I believe the rollbar makes the convert safer in a rollover than the coupe would be. I will track my car a few times at Texas world speedway (2.9 mile roadcourse), but it is basically my fair-weather-daily driver. The converts are just as quick in the quarter mile runs, and the '08 convert is just as fast on the top end (top up), at 202 mph. The convert gives YOU the option of whether the top is up or down. It's too expensive for a coupe to let the top down and put it up... :) I notice NO loss of regidity between the convert and the coupe, though an engineer might be able to do a cipher which would refute my seat of the paints observation.

I

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to order an 09 Coupe so it would be more practical than a vert with more luggage space for weekend trips. 12 days ago I found a 08 Vert available now, so I bought this instead. All I can say is I'm happy I did as I truly enjoy driving it with the top down,feeling the wind and listening to the full sound of the exhaust. Today it looked like rain so I drove with the top up for the first time and found I heard less of the exhaust and more of the gear whine from the gearbox. Besides having to pack lightly, I find the Vert adapts well to the mood of the day. For me it's going to be top down whenever possible.
Claude

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
with autoform top

Last edited:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think thats the issue if you want to drag it track it you are better off with a hardtop. I have been to the drag strip with the autoform rollbar and it's not enough. Besides if you roll over god help you roll bar or not. I am not sure if the Autoform hardtop will meet the requirements of the NHRA if you find out let me know. This could be the way to go the best of both worlds. One thing I have found out is that if you can't race it theres no need to do a bunch of mods to it. I have just made it look and sound good.

I get plenty of rain where I live but still preferred the "surround sound" aspect of a convertible for both street driving and track days. If you are going to use a convertible for track days you may, depending on the track and the school in question, need to install an SCCA-compliant rolbar. I bought an Autoform rollbar from Jon B (the poster above) and it has worked great and been accepted at multiple driving schools. Here is a pic:

Timberline_2_01_08_Near_Completion_09.JPG

The standard rollhoops that come with the 2003-2008 convertibles are not designed as rollover protection.

Even with the rollbar installed, some schools will still not accept open cockpit cars of any type (BMW CCA at Pacific Raceways in Seattle isone such school).

Have fun making your decision.:)

/Rich
I

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old rule established by convention:

Convert + Auto = chick car /cruiser

Coupe+man.stick= guy car /racer boy

Sooo...convert + stick = ??? confused/metrosexual?

BTW
I love my coupe but ...really miss cruisn my convert on a warm summer eve with my lady next to me

/

OzeViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want a convertible because I don't think there is enough room in a coup for sex...but with a convertible, there are posiblities :rolaugh: