Couple of Maintenance questions on 97 GTS

crashcourse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At high speeds over 80mph, I start to get a pulsing vibration in the car and I can even feel it in the gas pedal. Once I get below 70 it goes away. It almost feels as if a wheel is slightly out of balance, but I wouldn't figure that I would feel that in my gas pedal.

The other thing is the temp on the car. While I am idling at a stoplight it will get as high as 220, but then will cool back down to around 200 while driving. It never spikes, and it never goes above the 220 range. Not sure if I need to overhaul the cooling system, or if it's something simple such as a thermostat.

This on a 1997 GTS with 5700 miles, and completely original. It even has the original tires, brake pads and rotors.

All comments, even the harassing ones are fully welcome!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In short, we have little history and you are asking a lot. That said, I will assume the car is new to you and has no known track or wreck history.

Get new tires ASAP...and, stay at low speed til you do.
Change ALL fluids, including a radiator flush, and carefully inspect drive line, all suspension members, frame, arms, etc at the same time.

Check wheels for cracks as a few 97's may have had the 96 welded wheels.
Note if 998 recall has been done...if so, was it done correctly and completely?

Please report back.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG the ORIGINAL tires ! Don't drive it until you replace the tires. Old tires and a high horsepower car are a recipe for bad things. Especially 17 year old tires !

Not at all surprised with regard to the engine temperatures. Pretty common. Keep an eye on the radiator. The radiator can be re-cored if needed. There are threads on doing that or you can replace with something else. I put an aluminum radiator from snake-oyl in three years ago. Some hate the aluminum radiators. Once again use the search feature.

You will want to replace the power steering pulley and bracket. Well documented. Use the search feature if you want to know more.

Snake-Oyl: http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/prod...cat=341&page=1

If you don't know the brake fluid has been replaced lately I would replace and bleed. You might want to check the rubber brake hoses they are getting up there in age and replace with stainless steel braided lines. Someone recently posted regarding a failure of their rubber brake lines.

Make sure the frame recall repair has been completed especially if you take the car to the track.

Generally, you will want to check all of the rubber suspension parts and hoses.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is the tires. 17 years old,:omg: There flat spotted and dry rotted for sure.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell yes...tires and billet cut power steering bracket and pulley. Don't die.

CajunMojo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing you'll want to do is order new tires. Then roast the hell out of the old ones. Take video, post on youtube. Let us know if freshly balanced tires fixes your problem.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It sounds like a tire out of balance condition.

In stop and go driving, its not abnormal to see a big change in coolant temps, 220 is normal.

OP
OP
C

crashcourse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man this forum is fantastic, what did we do before the google web. I will do the new tires and I think a YouTube roasting is in order. Does anyone have a trusty viper mechanic in the Dallas area?

OP
OP
C

crashcourse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are in very good visual condition, but that is next on the list for replacement. I have an appointment with my speedshop mechanic to replace the pads and rotors as soon as they come in.

Stuntman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visual condition does not always tell the loss of elasticity of the tire. Dry-rot, and the rubber becoming 'petrified' which can result in an unpredictable loss of grip.

Dirk Pitt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Save those tires (don't burn them as suggested). Replace them but save them. Someday you'll be happy you did. Original tires are gold to a classic car collector, particularly with such low miles.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd toss them. Just take up space. Besides, a classic car collector will be shopping for a 96...not a 97. :D

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man this forum is fantastic, what did we do before the google web. I will do the new tires and I think a YouTube roasting is in order. Does anyone have a trusty viper mechanic in the Dallas area?

My 97 GTS was probably the easiest brake job I've ever done. Do it yourself and save some $$. Took me about 1 hour for all 4 pads, and that was only because it was my first time doing it. When the pads come out, the rotors can just slide out as well :)

What pads did you go with?

blown daytona

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check to see if your cooling fan is working. The fan needs to come on when the coolant gets to a predetermined temp at slow speed & idle conditions. Once the fan can pull the temp
down it will turn off. When driving at higher speeds the fan is not needed. Sounds to me your fan is not working

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4