Crankshaft Pin Tool

sparty116

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seem to be reading more and more about people spinning the hub bolt out and doing serious damage to their engines. Would the pin tool that Sean Roe sells be a good fix, or can you just make sure the bolts are tightened correctly. I am going to be performing prevenitive maintenance soon and was wondering if it is worth it.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is worth the time and effort, most tuners also insure that the crank pulleys are pinned. Call Sean.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine like 2 weeks ago. Man its a *****, but sure is a GREAT piece of mind. Might not have ever spun before, but I can guarantee its far less likely to do so now, then without the pinning tool.

Again, the drilling *****... expect it to take a LONG time.

course, I was drilling into a after market ATI Harmonic balancer, but i dont see it being much easier on stock.

Jon

txlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea!!...you're a cheater!!!....the one i'm building now i did outside the motor too!!..it's ALOT easier!!!..i bought killer drill bits and it still ain't no easier..i invested in the drill doctor to!!!..now that tool is amazing!!!!..Len

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a drill doctor myself, had one for about 2 years now. But I dont think the bit was dull, never attempted to sharpen it, just kept drillin, figured I'd get there eventually. (and I did)

Jon

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine (in the car with the hood on) with a right angled air powered drill. I rented an electric right angle drill, but it was way too big. I heard all the stories about how difficult it was, and it really wasn't. Total drilling time for each hole was about 5 minutes. I expected to chew through drill bits, but one did the entire job with no problem.

I did take my time to ensure that I drilled to the proper depth. Someone told me that if you drill too deep, you might end up with an oil leak. I don't know if there is any truth to that or not.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron,

Sure enough. I got the ATI super Damper and even used the Shawn Roe Crank pinning tool. The Paxton one *****, the pins are the size of toothpicks in the paxton set up. Roe's are almost as thick as a pensil.

Jon

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt I pinned my crank today using Roe's kit. I removed the hood and air cleaner housing.It's not necesary to move the engine.The most difficult part was getting the crank bolt loose. Question:If it's that tight why am I doing this? Answer:Because the Wizzard said I should. Using a Milwalkee 0375-6 Close Quarter electric drill with a titanium bit it took 5min.per hole. I purchased the torque wrench and drill, the Roe tool is part of the S/C kit so this mod was sort of expensive but much less then a damaged motor. :2tu: Rick

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What size are the roll pins and how deep are the drilled holes?
I'm wondering if my 90° aircraft drill is up to the task. It fits in tight quarters but the threaded bit selection is limited.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness