Crate engine replacement?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting car. I have never seen it. I would stay away from an engine replaced car. If you do go for it, it should be a motor that was rebuilt from Arrow in Mich. The emblems have been striped off the sides of car. There are lots of nice cars in CA. Try to get the service records from Dodge.

Last edited:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to the Viper world. I am very interested in a 96 RT in Irvine that had its enging replaced about 7,000 miles ago. What should I be worried about? Does anyone know this car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=290137311385&rd=1,1

This forum appears to be very helpful to newbies. Much appreciated.

Christine

Looks sweet. I would have a Local Viper Tech check it out. Nice interior and wheels. At one time, I believe they were replacing all problematic engines with new blocks under warranty. This car could have come off manufactureers title late and still been under factory warranty in 2004. (My 1994 was on manufacturers title until 1998 and was coverd by factory warranty until 2005) I would consider a fresh engine a plus unlesss you were worried about this being a matching engine number collectable in the future. I don't see much possibility of that. Check Carfax also for accident history or mileage rollback.

OP
OP

4chenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seller has lowered price to $35K which happens to be my budget. I would really like this Viper. Thanks for the advice.

Christine

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seller has lowered price to $35K which happens to be my budget. I would really like this Viper. Thanks for the advice.

Christine

engine replacement, or no engine replacement. That is a darn clean Viper for $35k... I would jump all over it. I would not worry about it one bit.. Just make sure the job was done by a qualified tech.. I also like the honesty involved with the work done.. rather than you having to find this out, through a VIN check.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

Is that crack in the center console? O/W looks very nice for the bucks (crack or not).

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check for a separate warranty on the new engine. Find out who rebuilt the engine. Do not buy the car unless you have someone who REALLY knows Vipers check it out with you. You need to look for frame damage / wreck signs. Chuck Tator will run the VIN for you through Dodge's system. Call him.

Good Luck, and keep us posted.

G

grcforce327

Who offers a 3.23 gearset???:dunno: Definitely a repaint!Nice seats!:2tu:
What happens when you need to pull the rocker panel off, with those pieces stuck over the access holes???
Brake fluid looks like gunk!Is that a set of "air horns" on the inner fender driver's side?Very nice hood lines!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

4chenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jon for the great talk the other day. Also talked to Dan at DC and bought the Viper. We pick it up tomorrow morning. Don't think we will sleep tonight.

Thanks to all. The engine is still under warranty and the car is clean and spotless. Will post pics as soon as we figure it out.

Thanks,
Christine

OP
OP

4chenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, not much more to say. I have a lot of questions but I will do some searches before typing something dumb. We will try to make Hearst, but we will definitely be at Cruisin for a Cure this year.

Thanks again all.

Christine

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
OP
OP

4chenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who offers a 3.23 gearset???:dunno: Definitely a repaint!Nice seats!:2tu:
What happens when you need to pull the rocker panel off, with those pieces stuck over the access holes???
Brake fluid looks like gunk!Is that a set of "air horns" on the inner fender driver's side?Very nice hood lines!

Took out the air horns and replaced them with Bellas from Griots. Also found out the brake fluid is Dot 5 silicon which is why it looks cloudy. Did find out the front rotors were on the wrong sides, but other than that have been enjoying the heck out of this car.

The heat shield under the hood was stained so I picked up a new one. Everything was fine until it turned out the clips that hold the heat shield in cost as much as the shield itself.

So if anyone wants the old air horn system let me know and it is yours.

Thanks,
Christine