crazy it still hasn't sold!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a tidbit, I was in the viper market for about 6 months and did a lot of due diligence with posting here, watching numerous different forums and was close to buying one from here. I decided to check out a car that is mint condition, red with silver stripes, all original and no mods (bone stock) and the initial price went from 50k to 40k to 37k and I decided to wait. 3 months later, the car is still for sale. THe car will probably sell for about 33k and it will probably be sitting in my garage. I did a LOT of research and I think that if you can deal with taking off about 5k, your car will sell within 2 months. It will be very hard otherwise. There was a 97 viper GTS on autotrader for about 6 months with the following mods: Belanger headers, borla exhaust, smooth tubes, k and n filters, 2008 HIDS with 7600 miles. THe car was LISTED at 37,900. I don't know what the car sold for but it took about 6 months. I talked to the guy selling and he would take 36k. My guess is the car sold for less.

Two points.
1. Using your reasoning you might as well wait a year, two years or ten years. MAYBE the prices will go even lower. But at what point do you actually want to get IN the car? You can wait forever. It's like buying a new computer, there's always something better down the road. Sometimes that road never ends. Wait another five years, why not?

2. Regarding that Autotrader ad, who knows the history of that car? Maybe it a little "story" that lowered the value, maybe not. But using a random car plucked off an ad is hardly indicative of the market as a whole. It's like Ebay, 3/4 of the cars on their have some lil story that's not explained.

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon your first point goes to owners just as much as buyers. Some buyers may not need to get into a car now and that has NOTHIng to do with something new right around the corner ( so the technology analogy seems irrelevant). Its basic opportunity costs. " do I need to sell now and take a hit" and " do I want to wait to buy but sacrifice drive time. Those were my intended points. Regarding point two I wouldn't label MY search as uninforned. I am plenty aware of the bad deals and if I see the same car listed over and over... I stay away. But don't deny that ebay craigslist and AT have good cars and good deals for a savvy purchaser.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been keeping current with this thread, as I have my '98 RT/10 for sale. Not a single nibble at an asking price of $36500 with a little less than 12k miles and new Michelins (shameless plug:D), although I've only put the ad up here and on the Alley. Not desperate, just want to try something else on for size.

Tailwag, have you talked to any dealers about a possible trade? I am in initial talks with a dealership who says they are serious about giving me $35k (without the custom rims, but with new tires) towards a trade. I'm supposed to take the car up there this weekend for further assessment, so we'll see.:fingersx: Of course, they hope to try and make it up on the selling end with the new car, but with the car biz the way it is, they might still come down to within $1500 of invoice. Of course, nothing is ever a done deal until it's actually signed for and in my garage...

OP
OP
T

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is only one dealership in the area, and they are not very fair when it comes to trades, especially now - they are really nice people though. :D

You should just trade me wheels...you can have my 18" GTS chrome wheels...they have plenty of rubber... :)...I think with your wheels, I would keep my car for a little while longer...:drive:

I've been keeping current with this thread, as I have my '98 RT/10 for sale. Not a single nibble at an asking price of $36500 with a little less than 12k miles and new Michelins (shameless plug:D), although I've only put the ad up here and on the Alley. Not desperate, just want to try something else on for size.

Tailwag, have you talked to any dealers about a possible trade? I am in initial talks with a dealership who says they are serious about giving me $35k (without the custom rims, but with new tires) towards a trade. I'm supposed to take the car up there this weekend for further assessment, so we'll see.:fingersx: Of course, they hope to try and make it up on the selling end with the new car, but with the car biz the way it is, they might still come down to within $1500 of invoice. Of course, nothing is ever a done deal until it's actually signed for and in my garage...

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching Viper prices now almost all year. I just bought mine two weeks ago. This car was immaculate - absolutely pampered by the previous owner. He game me ALL the original parts that he replaced. This guy even had to cut a small hole in the driver's side wheel shroud to install a hydroboost master cylinder, so he bought a NEW one, installed it, and cut the hole in it. He gave me the original one. He even gave me the original exhaust, and from what I've seen, NO Vipers on the market have their original exhaust.

It's a 2000, one of (allegedly) 51 cars in its color combo, and I STILL only paid $36,100 for it. No one else even bid!

This is a buyer's market. That means sellers are either gonna get hosed, or simply keep their car.

That's all I'm sayin'!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching Viper prices now almost all year. I just bought mine two weeks ago. This car was immaculate - absolutely pampered by the previous owner. He game me ALL the original parts that he replaced. This guy even had to cut a small hole in the driver's side wheel shroud to install a hydroboost master cylinder, so he bought a NEW one, installed it, and cut the hole in it. He gave me the original one. He even gave me the original exhaust, and from what I've seen, NO Vipers on the market have their original exhaust.

It's a 2000, one of (allegedly) 51 cars in its color combo, and I STILL only paid $36,100 for it. No one else even bid!

This is a buyer's market. That means sellers are either gonna get hosed, or simply keep their car.

That's all I'm sayin'!

Just curious what color your car is? I checked the registry and could not find a color combo wher ethey only made 50 in 2000. Closest I found was the Red with stripes where they made 55. :dunno:

Yes, everybody seems to change the exhaust since the stock exhaust is so hot and does not sound real great. First thing I did before I picked my car up was to put RT high flow cats and Corso 3" exhaust on mine. I did keep the original exhaust but really doubt that anybody would want to put it back on.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He even gave me the original exhaust, and from what I've seen, NO Vipers on the market have their original exhaust.

Mine already had a Corsa exhaust on it when I bought it although I was given the original exhaust as well. I don't know what I will ever do with it but if some purist wants a completely stock Viper some year if I ever sell it I'll have all of the original parts to give him.

I was told that the factory exhaust makes it sound like a UPS truck and it is not something I'd want to put back on and listen to.