CrossOver VS. X-Pipe on my SRT10?

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard the term crossover several times in reference to my SRT10 exhaust. Owning a 97 Cobra...I assumed (I know, I know) that was a reference to something like an X-pipe. Since I ordered new exhaust kit from Atro Racing, I thought I'd go ahead and dive-in getting the car ready for installation. Wow! I've never seen so many freakin skid, wind & protective plating under a car. However, I noticed something I wasn't expecting. Each side pipe outlet actually starts at the other side of the car (chaulk this up to blissful ignorance). Anyway, I started debating my decision on not "removing the crossover" thinking it would illegitimize my SRT? Now, after looking at it, how could removing an additional 5ft (est) worth of steal piping, screw me up when getting inspected? Should I just go with straight turn-outs behind the mufflers?

Any thoughts and/or comments would be great!

DH

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dagger,

There are a few benefits to going "straight out the side". Side sill heat and rear bulk head (behind the seat) heat are reduced.

Interestingly enough, I posted about a week ago asking for anyone who has found a quiet, effective side exhaust setup that eliminates the cross over. No replies so far.

I've tried this several ways and the problem with a side exhaust is noise and drone. They can really make your ears ring in an extended driving session. If you pull the cats, you will get watery eyes and a headache after a very short drive. I went back to the 3-inch B&B exhaust system with crossover and it works very well. I'd just like to eliminate the heat and weight of the crossover.

Good luck with this and let us know if you find a good solution.

WC Viper is working on a re-packable Indy type muffler that looks good, but I haven't seen anything else that I would buy, yet.

Dan

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd ditch the crossover and go with the your Atro sidepipes, what could me more "viper" than real sidepipes. You will lose some heat in the sidesills, pick up some HP and lose some weight to boot. I put on the Mopar Perf. exhaust and have no complaints. Passing inspection will not be any problem at all with just the exhaust install.

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm facing the same issue: straight out the side or continue to use cross over. Don't like the sound of the factory exhaust at higher rpm. Just bought the Mopar performance street exhaust and will install this morning. I'll start out with the cross over in place and drive it for a while. If not satisfactory, I'll remove the cross over. I'll report back

OP
OP
D

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, decisions, decisions. I'd prefer to ditch the "cross-over" and realize actual side-pipes. Slither, are you sure about passing inspection? or are you assuming, like I have, that removing couldn't possibly affect emissions?

As I see it now, I can't possibly remove the cross-overs wihtout having a lift....Arghhhhhh. I guess I'll go buy a new jack today (*last one broke) and see if I can get to everyrhing that way.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dagger, I'm positive you will have no problem passing inspection if you remove the crossover. Removing the crossover has absolutley nothing to do with how much CO and NOx comes out your exhaust, all the crossover does is quiet down the car, heat up the interior and cost you some HP. Besides, I'm in Houston and just had my car inpsected a few hours ago, no problems at all. You can remove the factory exhaust and crossover with the car up on jackstands pretty easily. Jack it up, spray the exhaust clamp bolts with penetrant and let it sit overnight, it will be a lot easier to remove the clamps that way.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m keeping the crossover for now for the more civilized sound of 10 cylinders per side. I don’t care for the sound of just 5 cylinders in one ear.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

05yellowSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the Mopar/Borla performance street exhaust yesterday. I was planning to leave the cross over in place but had to take the bottom plate off to loosen cross over to remove stock muffler. After I saw all the piping I just decided to take it off.
I have been pleasantly surprised by the sound without the cross-over. Much deeper than stock, does not sound like a 5 cylinder engine. It does get a bit noisy at full throttle when passing ... but that is ok

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dagger, Seeing that we spoke on this issue Saturday there is not a lot I can add to this discussion. As far as emissions is concerned taking off the crossover in some states can get you in trouble. Connecticut and New Hampshire are two that come to mind. In some states they look for missing OEM emission parts during the emission test and if am OEM emission part is missing they will make you replace it. This has also been the case in some states that do safety inspections once or twice a year. I used to be partners in a CT Emission shop and we were required to look for these missing parts and were not allowed to test the car until the parts were replaced. This is why we make our exhaust systems both ways, with or without the crossover. Like I said to you on the phone I can make up the parts you need to go to a side exhaust system without the crossover if you choose to.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In small town texas it is actually hard to get the inspector to look at the car during the inspection - sometimes they will honk the horn and/or turn on the blinkers...

What is an emissions test?

OP
OP
D

Dagger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

You've got mail. I'm thinking I want to remove the cross-over all together. Give me a quote on whatever I need so I can get it here. You're exhause should arrive in the next 1 - 2 days. If you have the pieces I need for removing crossover, I'll pay the extra charge to get it here ASAP. Please call me on my cell tomorrow if this is possible.

thanks,

DH

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the cross over! I think it is only worth 10 to 5 hp. It is not worth it to have to put ear plugs in. Trust me I had the side dump pipes and I hated it too loud and I like loud. My DLM car made the same power as my buddy with the same setup and he the sides there was no difference. Both made 900rwhp.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main reason to remove the x-pipe is to resolve the heat issues in the cockpit and the side sills. Night and day difference. When I had the crossover, the heat was unberable at times. Now it is not even an issue.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you were to insulate the pipes and crossover then your heat issues will go away. The jury is still out as to remove or not remove the crossover as it sounds different both ways. I can tell you all this, if you go the side pipe route using our exhaust system and cats you eill save 68 lbs.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the B&B 3" system with the cross-over ... I was thinking about getting some other turn-outs with tips and dumping the cross-over ... does anybody know what might fit at the end of the B&B 3" exhaust on each side?

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperman, We are working on a turnout for both 2-1/2" and 3" pipes that will mount to the rear rubber mounting holes that hold the exhaust tip of the stock crossover. So far we have designed the bracket, turnout, and are now working on a polished tip to go over the turnout that will look like the RT-10 Polished Tips on our web site. You may see the RT-10 tip at http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that we have exhaust kits that will replace other companys mufflers and tips or attach to the tips you already have. These ar also shown on our site.