Custom Wiper bolt cover

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the wiperblades off of my 08 coupe and looking for something to put over the top of the screw that is in black and not to cheesy looking. I would think there may be a demand for someone to machine a part like this with a Viper logo on it. The thread is an m8 1.25 metric. I found a few plastic knobs but they are all too tall and the hood rests against it when it is closed. An acorn nut works but can not find in black.

any thoughts

Bruce

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I thought of that too. but to have a machined piece would be preferred or a plastic cap. I could even use a vinyl end cap in black. I was looking for something a little more dressier.

Bruce

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silly question..............but what do you do when it rains? :dunno:

Tony2

I do not drive it in the rain. My daily driver has the windshield waxed and I rarely even use them anyway except during the winter with the salt. I am just trying to clean up the look of tha car.

Bruce

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same thing. Wax your windshield and dont bother with wipers. The only time I use them is for mist. Cruising above 20mph and the water beads off the wind sheild. Frankly I think it is safer since without it you get the sheeting effect which in a heavy downpour the wipers cant control.

I do not drive it in the rain. My daily driver has the windshield waxed and I rarely even use them anyway except during the winter with the salt. I am just trying to clean up the look of tha car.

Bruce

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the bolt and nut.

I used the remaining hole for N2O purges...:D

Tony2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bruce

Fair enough, I don't drive mine in the rain but always think "What If...."

I waxed (Rejex actually) the windshield on our motorhome when I did the front end one year as the wipers are useless, what a mistake that was! In the rain at night with the oncoming headlights there was a BAD glare.

Anyhow was just curious as I thought maybe it is a track only car or something, thanks for the info and here is to sunny days ahead! :2tu: (Mind you I am saying that as it has/is snowing up here in the great white north! lol)

Tony2

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens to a waxed windshield if you use the wipers? As a daily driver, it will rain, and wonder if one helps/hurts the other...

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used RainEx a bunch of times. Works well at speed but not so good at low speeds. Windows get all streaked when there isn't enough wind going over the car. The wipers seem to wear the coating off quickly so after a while with the wipers on the RainEx doesn't work as well any more.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I waxed (Rejex actually) the windshield on our motorhome when I did the front end one year as the wipers are useless, what a mistake that was! In the rain at night with the oncoming headlights there was a BAD glare.

Anyhow was just curious as I thought maybe it is a track only car or something, thanks for the info and here is to sunny days ahead! :2tu: (Mind you I am saying that as it has/is snowing up here in the great white north! lol)

Tony2

What is this "snow" you speak of? :dunno:Could it have gotten in my car Saturday when I had the top down?:lmao:

N

Nobody

I dunno taking the wipers off seems like another reason for a ticket as it's not legal...but you should be able to go to local machine shop and have them make something pretty cheap and quik..probably have to get it anodized or plated tho

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens to a waxed windshield if you use the wipers? As a daily driver, it will rain, and wonder if one helps/hurts the other...

They only help each other. You will find that if you needed to put the wipers on low with wax on the windshield, you wont need to put them on. If you needed to put them on high, low will suffice.

I've used RainEx a bunch of times. Works well at speed but not so good at low speeds. Windows get all streaked when there isn't enough wind going over the car. The wipers seem to wear the coating off quickly so after a while with the wipers on the RainEx doesn't work as well any more.

RainEx is a waste of money. Wax does a better job and everyone has it.

Tony2
Doesnt happen with Wax.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rain-X is total crap. All marketing hype, IMO. I wax the windshield whenever I can. The only caveat is you should wipe down the wiper blades to prevent any wax build up over time.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread is going off topic.

Bruce

Never thought about taking off the wipers. Sounds like a cool idea. I tried to pull one off a few years ago in order to remove the cowl but gave up because even with the nut removed, it did not want to budge and I was afraid of breaking something.

How hard did you have to pull to get the wiper blades off the shaft?

For those worried about getting caught in the rain, just put the driver's side wiper blade in the trunk or under the seat and stick it on in an emergency.

OP
OP
B

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remoce the plastic cover over end of the wiper blade which is round and just snaps in. I had to get my fingernail under the plastic and uniformally remove around as to not scuff it. Remove the 13mm bolt. Wiggle the wiper arm back and forth with just a little pressure and the arm will eventually free. If they are left off for a period of time, make sure you mark the Passenger side and Driver side arms.

Bruce

Never thought about taking off the wipers. Sounds like a cool idea. I tried to pull one off a few years ago in order to remove the cowl but gave up because even with the nut removed, it did not want to budge and I was afraid of breaking something.

How hard did you have to pull to get the wiper blades off the shaft?

For those worried about getting caught in the rain, just put the driver's side wiper blade in the trunk or under the seat and stick it on in an emergency.

sniper1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've seen wax build up outlines from the wipers on friends cars which doesn't look so good and also with the build up it tends to cause specks to flake off and cause visual issues... rain-x never worked for me either. jmo

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been waxing the windows in all my cars for years and never had this happen. Even the cars that sit outside. Just make sure you clean the window well and all claybar it prior.

I've seen wax build up outlines from the wipers on friends cars which doesn't look so good and also with the build up it tends to cause specks to flake off and cause visual issues... rain-x never worked for me either. jmo

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After reading this thread I decided to pull my wipers off when I got home. Wow. My only regret is that I didn't do it 5 years ago. Even with just the bare bolts, it looks better. Will be easier to clean the window too.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been waxing the windows in all my cars for years and never had this happen. Even the cars that sit outside. Just make sure you clean the window well and all claybar it prior.

Been doing the same thing for years. Any wax will do. I don't claybar prior though, don't think its necessary.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remove my wipers too (when weather permits).
On the trucks it's a little different, but the same basic concept.

A machined/finished cap or cover would be nice, but I just use 1" rubber bar stool feet from Home Depot. $1.99 for a set of 4. :D

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remove my wipers too (when weather permits).
On the trucks it's a little different, but the same basic concept.

A machined/finished cap or cover would be nice, but I just use 1" rubber bar stool feet from Home Depot. $1.99 for a set of 4. :D

That, in an unintended fashion perhaps, is a daily driver kind of thing to do. :2tu: Where's Dave? Dave, you see this?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new wipers are the Bosch 'formed' ones....$40 each...and they have a large mount at the wiper hinge (where the blade attaches to the arm).
The driver's side one isn't too bad, but the pass. side one is obnoxious as hell.
When I can take them off, I do.