Customizing RT/10 Trunk Space...Need Help???

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about customizing my trunk space to house an after market amp and sub woofer. Specifically, I'd like to carpet all flat surfaces, dynomat where possible, install amp stand and sub woofer. If you own an RT/10 and have gone through the exercise of customizing your trunk, please post pictures if possible. Any and all advice welcome.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I'd appreciate if you posted pics. I expect others would appreciate it as well. :)

Yup, I second that! :cool: I'd like to see as well. I'm looking for ideas on cleaning up the trunk space.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my 02 RT10 finished friday. I put Kenwood receiver with 6 disc & Sirius satellite receiver. 1 6" JL Audio sub in passenger floorboard, 1 6" sub in factory hole, JL audio component spkrs in factory holes. 1 Kenwood 500 watt amp ( I think continous 120 watts X 2 going to JL components in door). 1 JL audio 250 Watt 2 channel Amp for 2 subs. Sounds pretty darn good.

I will take some photos tonight. It all fits in trunk with no problem.

Andy

holdontight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, I would like a peek too. :D I already did a system but need more bass waiting for weather to clear up and put in the JL 6" woffer I have

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just learned how to post pictures on the old board, how the heck do you post on this one?? I did not see anywhere to upload images??
:eek: :eek: :eek:

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pics!
I agree we all need a class on how to post pics on this new board.
I would love to swap out the radio for abetter quailty 5 or 6 disc setup.
did it fit without modding the radio surrounding area?
JIM

ubnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a custom stereo in mine last summer. I put 2 6" Kicker subs in the factory spots and they are powered by a Orion 240GX amp in the trunk. I also put JL audio speakers in the doors and they are all powered by two Apline amps mounted in the trunk. There is also a crossover mounted in the trunk to keep the sound clear. I wanted more bass in the cab too but the problem as I am sure all of you know is that you cannot put a box in the trunk and port it through due to the gas tank! I did not think of the sub in the floor..GOOD IDEA! I have the cd changer in the glove box and a sony head unit in the dash. Sounds good at high speeds with the top off...so I am happy. I would like to customize my trunk a little better to show off the NX bottle that is back there. Right now it is just mounted on a stainless bracket that mounts to the spare tire. I can email you pics if you would like. Good Luck! :D

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
it fit in the dash perfect & when you turn the ignition off the stereo face flips 180 degrees & all you see is a black plate. The Sirius satelite portion is kick a$$. 6 disc changer fits perfectly on top of inner trunk.

Mark,
Send me some pics, or post if you know how. I tried for 2 hours last night & all I could get up was a link. My computer skills are limited. The sub in the floor is facing up & has JL audio spkr & a 250 watt JL audio amp going to it & the console sub. The floor sub sounds 10 times better than the console sub.

I think I am going to upgrade the Kenwood amp (2 weeks old, 4X 60 watts @ 2ohm,OR 4X 40 @ 4ohm) I have it set up 2 X 80 @ 4ohm. I found a 150 X2 @ 4ohm amp I think I am going to order.

Andy

RoadKing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJT - Can you post some more pictures of the floor sub. Also any design information you have on it?

I just went with a new Alpine head unit, Focal 6.5" separates, and the JL 6" sub all driven by a 5 channel Alpine V-12 amp. Everything sounds good, but I would like to add more bass. Also I'm currently designing an amp rack to clean up the trunk.

Thanks in advance........

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone put a large 10+" sub in the trunk. and kept the spare in there,and still have room for the top? Trying to design this now. Would love pics! :cool: :usa:

ubnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can put a sub in the trunk and port it through due to the gas tank. I may be wrong on this but that is what my installer told me. Let me know if it is possible.

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNBIT, Dont think porting is necessary. Have subs in other cars, The trunk is sealed on all of them. Base should travel into passenger compartment very well. Have a test planned this weekend if my audio guy gets the custom box done. Will let eyerone know how test turns out.Biggest concern is the spare and the magnet, any suggestions?

viper 505

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a professional installation done in my car last summer 2 10-inch sub woofers over 4000,00$ of equipment and there is no way you can have the punch that a gts would have in it. If you have an rt-10 spend your money on something else than sound-system , the good sound is from the motor .
I took everything out couples weeks ago ,so i can carry my top again.

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper505, What type of subs and amp did you use? What are you going to do with them? If I don't use some friends might be interested. Were you displeased with base response, sound quality or what? I have corsas and high flow cats, engine sounds GREAT!!!! :cool: :cool:

Nasty 10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wanted subs in the trunk also. My installer talked me out of it. He installed a 10" JLAudio W6v2 in the passenger floor area. It kicks pretty good :smirk:

ubnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
flossm,

Yes I think porting is needed but I don't think you can port it through to the cabin. As we all can see with Viper 505...not much you can do with an R/T sound system. However, if you get it to work well let me know...and take pics! Good luck!

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also will vouch for the fact that you can NOT hear any system additions to the trunk of an RT/10. If you want any more bass, you will have to get it inside the cabin...I have an Infinity Basslink in the passenger footwell.