cut out/open headers

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last edited:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I timed the difference a cutout installed in the flex pipe area made enroute to installing something else on a Gen1. Sounded terrible, and the before and after ET difference at the strip the same day was absolute zero.

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would like to hear above car at idel too, but too late... that was mostly little revs... hard to tell what it really sounded like.

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has to be some room to put cutouts on these cars, you don't really need much for a 3in cutout! I would think you could pretty much make room anywhere on a 97-2002?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you looked underneath a GEN 2 for all this room? It really isn't there. Remember, the side sill covers most of the area that one would typically put in a cutout. You have about 3 inches of pipe length, if that, to work with. I'll take a picture next time I am under the car so you can see. There is little to no room. Anyone who has thought about it agrees it is a waste of time. It's going to sound like crap, gives no benefit if you're running normal NA mods and is pretty expensive, plus you have to hack up a set of expensive pipes to install them.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
48383 is telling 48032 there's no point at all in doing it.

A car idling with the cat cut off, though not sounding any better, isn't going to sound as terrible as a T'd cutout that bleeds off mostly noise. I've been told for example that cars running open lakes pipes teed into the exhaust system still have a strong exhaust pulse out the back of the car even though the lakepipes (sidepipes) are uncapped.

All you're going to achieve is have your car sound like a 6cyl with the exhaust doughnut blown out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Been there, done that.

----------------------------------
2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

SVS short shifter for sale/never installed

Last edited:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, on a normally aspirated car you may even hurt your performance with cut outs. They can be useful when racing a blown or turbo car, but the way the factory headers are tuned you will do just as well or better without the cutouts. What FE 065 says is true!:dunno:

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, when I find the right viper for me, I just want to make sure I have a mean sounding serpent! I wanna make sure that the car is at least as loud as my old Firebird Formula with the SLP Loudmouth 1 on it, but it also has to sound good. I would just hate spending a thousand dollars on a catback and have it barely rumble.

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I need to get a sound file of my GTS with the Borla...it will make your Firebird turn tail and run.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is that just a completely straight piped application?

stock manifolds and straight pipes all the way back without converters? because that sounds pretty freakin good!

Hey thanks. :2tu:

All stock and the original muffler in place at the rear tips. If I do a spinning hard launch it really lets out the sound. I was surprised in the end, thought the operation would be a failure and I would need to go ahead and order a new aftermarket system, but I'm not going to bother with that expense at this time. It's my nature to seek cheap alternative solutions and also enjoy fabricating as a hobby.

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Random tech cat back system with Hi-flo cats and the sound is amazing. :headbang:
I seriously doubt your Firebird would sound anything like the Viper with cat back exhaust;)

It's very exotic from startup to WOT.:drive:
I think the cutouts would blow your ears out and make the ride very annoying:crazy2:

Go for a ride in a Viper with aftermarket exhaust and I'm sure it will serve it's purpose just fine:2tu:

OP
OP
C

crow_48032

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey thanks. :2tu:

All stock and the original muffler in place at the rear tips. If I do a spinning hard launch it really lets out the sound. I was surprised in the end, thought the operation would be a failure and I would need to go ahead and order a new aftermarket system, but I'm not going to bother with that expense at this time. It's my nature to seek cheap alternative solutions and also enjoy fabricating as a hobby.

I can't believe how good thats sounds. I can only imagine how good it would sound if you replaced the manifolds with some headers! Oh my! :omg: haha

I have the Random tech cat back system with Hi-flo cats and the sound is amazing. :headbang:
I seriously doubt your Firebird would sound anything like the Viper with cat back exhaust;)

It's very exotic from startup to WOT.:drive:
I think the cutouts would blow your ears out and make the ride very annoying:crazy2:

Go for a ride in a Viper with aftermarket exhaust and I'm sure it will serve it's purpose just fine:2tu:

Well I don't want the viper to sound like my old firebird, I want it to be louder, and sound a hell of a lot meaner! :2tu: The SLP Loudmouth 1 is an extremely loud catback though, judging from the catbacks I've seen for the RT/10's and the GTS's it seems like they have multiple mufflers and or resonators and cats. So I can only wonder at this point.

With me....the louder the better....I had all the drone in the world with the SLP and it just made me realize how much louder the car was on the outside of the vehicle!

A few of my friends are running pacesetter longtube headers, off road Y's and a 3in cutout with your standard Flowmaster muffler. With the cutout off it sounds like a freakin freight train is coming at you!