Cut the Noise (3 Foot mufflers?)

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the best way to keep a SCed car quiet without costing a lot of HP? Will a four muffler exhaust (Corsa) with metal substrate cats be relatively quiet? I have talked to a great custom exhaust shop and they told me they could put a 36" muffler in place of the cat and first muffler. The rest of the exhaust would be a custom 3” with Spintech mufflers in the rear. Which of these two options would you think would be the quietest?

1. Metal Substrate Cats + 4 mufflers
2. 3 Foot mufflers + 2 rear mufflers

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some guys replace the cat with one of those bullet mufflers by Dynomax, or something similar. I'm not sure it is much quieter though. You could try to run a 4 muffler exhaust and the two extra mufflers in place of the cats. However, are the 4 muffler exhaust really 4 mufflers? I thought the two in the rear sub area are just straight through?

Better yet, just let that car breathe and don't worry about the sound. :D

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You mentioned my third option which is put two straight through mufflers where the cats are now. I have heard that the metal substrate cats are loud and I know for a fact that test pipes are loud, too loud. No matter what option I pick it will still have a very healthy sound, I just want to remain friends with my neighbors... and wife.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the high flow cats with the Moroso spiral flow. I run one spiral flow and one can type Dynomax in the sill. Not to loud, no drone. I did try straight pipes first when I removed the cats....way to loud and a bad drone.

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue GTS,

I don't have a supercharged Viper, but I added a rear exhaust fixture from Mufflex to my borla system which has stock cats and the two Borla mufflers.

The system Mufflex made uses two spintech mufflers where the stock muffler would be located. It definitley reduced the sound level of the exhaust by a significant amount.

I live in Central NJ, so if you want to hear it let me know.

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1TONY1, that is exactly the information I was looking for. What type of exhaust are you running after the Dynomax’s (3"?), and do you have rear mufflers on the car? I assume you have 1 3/4 header as well.

Joel, I had Denny from Mufflex look at the car last weekend and I am debating which system I want to go with. You are now running 4 mufflers + 2 cats so your car should sound really good. I want that type of sound but without the cat restriction.

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1TONY1, I assume the Dynomax you used is the Bullet which is a straight through design. If that is the case you having one spiral and one straight through and that is enough to keep sound down. That is very good to hear, I think I will look into the Spiral myself.

OP
OP
B

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read that you said can, but I didn't think a can would fit in the sidesill. It looks like only 5" of clearance to me.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had large OD SS Dynomax's under my '94 RT/10s sidesills. They were about 30" long, around 6.25"OD and just fit, which I think is the key to quiet-a large OD muffler. It ain't gonna be very quiet if you've got a 3" core and only a 4"OD muffler.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude