cylinder shutoff while cruising...

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is posible to make a program for the gen 3 engine to shut down extra cylinders while cruising. What would it take to make something like this to improve gas mileage? I am more interested in what it could do for an SRT-10 Ram than the Viper, but since this is a gen 3 forum and the truck uses a gen 3 motor, I thought this would be the best place to ask. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scott :usa:

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a noticable throttle-response delay when you accelerate/drive vehicles with the Dodge 5.7 Hemi with this feature ... there would have to be some kind of over-ride switch before it would make any sense for a performance car like the Viper.

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a switch is a great idea ! Without some way of turning the system off, I would never want to have it on my Viper or srt ram.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need more than a calibration. Cylinder deactivation requires the valves to deactivate as well. If the valves continue to open normally the pumping losses continue, and fuel savings go out the tailpipe. Cylinder deactivation will be a BIG project.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 5.7L in a Charger and cannot tell when it engages (or if it does.) The only thing I notice is occasional uneven idle. I have to say something works because I can average 22-23 MPG at 75+ MPH.

I believe the throttle lag is purely due to the throttle-by-wire. It ties in with the electronic stupidity control, cruise control, etc.

However, as GR8 ASP says, there is a lot of mechanical add-on in the valvetrain to make it a complete fuel saving package. Some of the design was to keep it balanced, I'm sure, so cutting out some cylinders on a V-10 might not "feel" good. Or might feel better?

I wonder how many cylinders you could deactivate, though...

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get 22-23 MPG at 75+ and are happy, I don't want it on the Viper because I get almost the same MPG with all 10 firing! I was impressed on my last trip.

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if yor getting 22-23mpg with all 10 running, Would you not get better MPG with say 6 or even 4 running if your just cruising along? Remember this potentially could be used in the SRT ram (really bad MPG) as well as the gen 3 viper.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if yor getting 22-23mpg with all 10 running, Would you not get better MPG with say 6 or even 4 running if your just cruising along? Remember this potentially could be used in the SRT ram (really bad MPG) as well as the gen 3 viper.

Maybe not. The reason you can get 22-23 mpg with all 10 running is that you are using a "hyperspace" tall 6th gear and therefore can cruise along at highway speeds turning 1500 rpm.

You might not be able to crank such a tall gear with only 6 cylinders.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No offense, but I can't believe you guys are actually entertaining this topic! Yeah sure... I thought about fuel savings when I spent +$80,000 bucks on a 10 cylinder, 505hp, weekend only driven car.

Try the Chrysler 300 forum.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it has alot to do with the Viper and any car that wants to be around for some time. Car companies have been mandated to increase their mpg on cars by CAFE. You may say it doesn't matter but for those of us who want the Viper to be around for awhile know that better mpg is a must.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much. But the original question was about the V-10 Ram.

To clarify the Charger fuel economy comment: At highway speed most of the energy consumption is due to aero drag, which is proportional to frontal area. The Charger is quite brick-like and tall. While the Viper Cd isn't that great, it is 2/3 the height. A Viper at 75+ MPH therefore could get much, much better than 23 MPG, perhaps if it had this system.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought that the new engine was suppose to get some intresting mpg numbers?

Of little consequence....they did mention that the fuel consumption will be significantly less than the Gen 3. We didn't hear any MPG numbers, but they were all smiles when they mentioned their findings.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have a 2006 jeep grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7L in a Charger and cannot tell when it engages or disengages. I can not even tell if it is working or not as it is so seamless.I also am averaging 20-22 MPG at 75+ MPH in this heavy land yacht.

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is for the Gen 3 motor in general. If this were posible, it would make the SRT-10 Ram get far better gas mileage and since its the same motor that the Viper uses, it could help all srt-10 owners. I understand that people who buy an 80k dollar car probably aren't as concerned with gas prices as much as others. I own a Viper, and still would if I got 10 mpg out of it, but I guess my point is that it could be better. especially for ram owners adveraging 9-11 MPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang