D.I.Y

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some advise guys and gals. I was going to get Corsa exhaust for my Gen2 but after driving it this past weekend, lowering the engine and cabin temperature is #1 priority right now. I plan on installing a 3 row aluminum radiator, a 175 degree thermostat and putting some insulation in the side sills. My question is quite simple...........are these three things something that even I could do? Does the hood have to be removed to pull the radiator? Is the t-stat hard to remove? I heard that I will have to do something with my O2 sensors.
I want to go into this project prepared, hense the questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!:2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the radiator can be taken out without removal of the hood,thermostat is easy, ya just have to remove the intake to get at it,sill insulation is easy to do yourself but a buddy is helpfull since ya dont wanna scratch them...

look into other brands of sill insulation. im not a fan of the roe stuff. there is better out there and im gonna do it the next time the sills come off myself. i used a small piece from DEI to cover the cats only and it seemed to be better. but i did use the roe for the rest of the exhaust.

X vetter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The aluminum radiator and the 175 degree thermostat will definitely make your cooling system more efficient...but to cool the cabin you really have to replace the cats w/ high flow units, made a considerable difference in mine w/o any additional insulation.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As plumcrazy already said, you should be able to do it yourself. Neither is hard. As an FYI, I have the aluminum radiator from Alan's Performance. It works great. With that rad and my lower thermostat, my car has yet to get past 195.

On a side note, if you can get an extra hand, removing the hood is very easy and really makes working on the car A LOT easier.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I am getting HF cats and muffs as well. Was hoping that I didn't need to do this to my car but it need to be done, I cannot believe how hot it gets in the cabin! Good thing I have A/C. I may just try the HF cats/muffs before I buy the insulation as Xvetter stated, that alone should really knock down the cabin heat.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drill a hole in the thermostat before installing. It will make burping easier. Also install the top hose with the built-in bleeder valve.

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I, too used the R/T high flows and the Corsa cat back system and the difference in the sill temps is HUGE!! I doubt you'll want to insulate them.:2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some advise guys and gals. I was going to get Corsa exhaust for my Gen2 but after driving it this past weekend, lowering the engine and cabin temperature is #1 priority right now. I plan on installing a 3 row aluminum radiator, a 175 degree thermostat and putting some insulation in the side sills. My question is quite simple...........are these three things something that even I could do? Does the hood have to be removed to pull the radiator? Is the t-stat hard to remove? I heard that I will have to do something with my O2 sensors.
I want to go into this project prepared, hense the questions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx!:2tu:

Definitely a DIY but do your research and ask lots of questions. I'm installing a 175 degree thermostat tomorrow and was going to try and write up an illustrated how to guide for it since Damn Yankee has inspired me with his illustrated posts. I'm also between jobs and have nothing better to do but that's another story. :D I hope to get this write up on the site by Friday. I would recommend you find a service manual for your Viper. It'll give you step by step directions on how to remove/install the radiator, intake, torque specs, etc. I found my '01 RT/10 manual on eBay fairly cheap.

As for the side sills, get a HF cat. After installing a RT hi-flow cat on my stock exhaust my sills were dramatically cooler and cabin heat was drastically reduced. Sound was better too. I now have Belanger headers and catback and the sills are lukewarm to the touch and the sounds is MUCH better. Give JonB at Partsrack a call and he can guide you down the side-sill heat journey.

Hope this helps. - Tony

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Used HF cats if you want them(still need to pull them off the car approx 500mi). $200 + shipping for both. I don't have smog testing here...so they are comming off.

About cooling the cabin, maybe you just need to give the A/C system a tune up. (You can get the kit cheap at Wal-Mart)

Check out the Ron Davis unit. It's fits perfect! Not only that but it works like a champ.

I have Belanger headers and catback as well. The sound is mean. But it might be a bit much for some. Here is a link to a vid.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Comment/0/693e21fe-358b-43eb-b365-98cb015049c6.htm

Last edited:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
duane, i replaced my radiator the first time it sprung a leak, and was able to take it out without removing the hood. it was a PITA but it came out.

if you want to lower the cabin heat, removing the cats helps BIG TIME.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appears as though the concensus says to either remove the cats or get HF cats. I will get HF cats/muffs to start with as my main objective is to lower the cabin heat. I will deal with the radiator next.
I will go out to Snake Oyl tomorrow to buy the items and hopefully install them this weekend.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Examine Vipers in World Challenge and VRL and you will almost always see RON DAVIS 2-ROW. The Large Diameter rows cool better. With a 3-row radiator, the center row is insulated by the outer rows, and inhibits air flow. Fact.

Your car will run best, more HP at 200-210 degrees. No Probs up to 235.

HF cats=cool cockpit, cool footwell, and NO STINK in your hair and clothes. And your OBD-2 can perform its valuable job, watching oit for your motor's condition.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you dont have smog testing ditch the cats. If you do then high flows will help. I just removed my high flows and the difference in temps is huge. The side sills would get very hot still but with the h/f cats removed it is amazing how much cooler they are. I can run around for a couple hours in hot weather and still put my hand on the sills and hold there forever. It's warm but not even close to hot. Makes the exhaust louder so you will need to make sure the muffler compensates. I like it loud though so it works for me. As for the smell I can tell if I stand behind the car but I have never smelt the exhaust any other time. Just think... it wasnt that long ago that there was no such thing as cats. Never heard anyone complain back then..lol.. Here's a sound clip of what mine sounds like with the Cats out and Borla cat backs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjyK0hcImME

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not going catless. I don't want anymore more noise in the cabin, like my Gen1 had. Of course that was a sidepipe car but I finally have a Viper that the wife rides in and actually likes. I can even listen to the radio now! I am going to call JonB tomorrow, time permitting, to purchase Randomtech HF cats. I still heard that I need to do something with my downstream O2 sensors because they will not heat up like they should(?) I don't know what the hell that means but will mention that to Jon as well.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Duane,

I removed the cats on my B/W and no heat issues with the sills or in the cabin. Your Corsa exhaust is going to the increase the noise more than removal of the cats IMO. If you are around this weekend, we could meet up at Quaker and you can take mine for a spin to see the difference in heat/noise for yourself.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duane,

I removed the cats on my B/W and no heat issues with the sills or in the cabin. Your Corsa exhaust is going to the increase the noise more than removal of the cats IMO. If you are around this weekend, we could meet up at Quaker and you can take mine for a spin to see the difference in heat/noise for yourself.

Corsa exhaust is on hold for now Brad. I have decided that I am not going to do anything to the exhaust(except HF cats). I am going to leave this car pretty much stock. I was talking about a Paxton and forged pistons but I just found something out this morning and I may be selling my Viper next Spring for something different. I will be at QS Sunday if you want to meet there at noon. PM sent

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang