Daily Driver.....

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My youngest son turned 16 and has taken over my '04 Ram Hemi Sport. Guess what Dad's now on a daily basis?????

While I'm not happy about the situation, I know others do this too.

Any suggestions as to how best to deal with this this dilemma, short of buying another set of wheels????

Don

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to have a ton of fun although you will find that the specialness starts to go away a bit once driving it everyday.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the Viper is a toy. Get yourself a nice comfy sedan or something for the daily drive. It'll make getting in the Viper in the evenings/weekends just that much more fun.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 2 cars ,but hate getting into my daily driver as I always miss the Viper. Ive been considering doing the Viper as a daily driver. Our weather has been so good, that I practically drive everyday now anyways.

Its still nice to have a extra set of wheels, for when you want to go to store or pick up crap at Home Depot,etc. But Ive asked same question and there are plenty here that drive Viper evryday and love it. I really dont see how you could ever lose the specialness or fun factor of driving car.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 cars ,but hate getting into my daily driver as I always miss the Viper. Ive been considering doing the Viper as a daily driver. Our weather has been so good, that I practically drive everyday now anyways.

Its still nice to have a extra set of wheels, for when you want to go to store or pick up crap at Home Depot,etc. But Ive asked same question and there are plenty here that drive Viper evryday and love it. I really dont see how you could ever lose the specialness or fun factor of driving car.

I thought it was not possible to loose it either but after a while you just get tired of driving it everyday and it becomes a regular car because you mostly drive it to get something does and rarely for fun anymore. After a year I went and got a daily and it is better now. I am not saying you will hate the car, but you will not feel the same a few months after driving the car all the time versus when you want to.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I been using my Viper as my daily driver every single day for over a year already. I never had so much fun in my life. Every time i get in it i smile when i start it up. This car gets more fun with time i think. I still feel like i am in a race car when i am using it for daily activities. I know some get bored, but not me. In fact, i am gonna take it for a spin right now for no reason at all! lol

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use mine as a daily too.

I may have to get another daily for a different reason.

I enjoy the car way too much and the wife said that if I didn't start behaving she wasn't going to ride with me any more.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I been using my Viper as my daily driver every single day for over a year already. I never had so much fun in my life. Every time i get in it i smile when i start it up. This car gets more fun with time i think. I still feel like i am in a race car when i am using it for daily activities. I know some get bored, but not me. In fact, i am gonna take it for a spin right now for no reason at all! lol

I agree. Whereas before I would tell my buddy I cant come by today. Now, Ill say, sure, Ill come by. Hop in the Viper and take a drive. I still feel you sometimes need an extra car for getting crap. But dont see how you can get tired of it. Having the exhaust on it too makes it great, like driving a race car. I feel like a kid. My buddy and I just did a 100 mile loop thru the hills and down the coast this weekend. Top down, it was GREAT.

And I figure a car that tuirns this many heads, well many wish they were in one, so why let mine sit and waste. Ive been fortunate enough to were I could finally afford one, so might as well drive it!!!

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than telling your son to get a part-time job and get his own wheels, take the Viper as a daily driver - you'll get used to it quick!

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Whereas before I would tell my buddy I cant come by today. Now, Ill say, sure, Ill come by. Hop in the Viper and take a drive. I still feel you sometimes need an extra car for getting crap. But dont see how you can get tired of it. Having the exhaust on it too makes it great, like driving a race car. I feel like a kid. My buddy and I just did a 100 mile loop thru the hills and down the coast this weekend. Top down, it was GREAT.

And I figure a car that tuirns this many heads, well many wish they were in one, so why let mine sit and waste. Ive been fortunate enough to were I could finally afford one, so might as well drive it!!!
I agree with everything you just said! But maybe some are getting the wrong idea. I think you still need a 2nd car with a Viper. I use mine as a daily driver but still have a 2nd car incase i need to go places or bring things or people places. Again, i still use the car everyday, and its easier if you have the means to have a 2nd car with the Viper even if its a daily driver.

On a side note, i just had a Corsa Track installed in Friday and it made me love the car even more. I now drive even more for no reason at all! lol

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the best deal on wheels is a used GTO. You can pick these things up for $18,000. I drive mine everyday, great for daily use, comfortable, good performance, etc. We take road trips in the GTO, great highway cruiser. When its Viper time, its still special since I am stepping up several notches in performance. Added bonus - the bland styling means nobody, including police, notice you.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
IMO, the Viper is a toy. Get yourself a nice comfy sedan or something for the daily drive. It'll make getting in the Viper in the evenings/weekends just that much more fun.

Gen I, II yes (not so much the GTS)

Gen III's no way. i drive mine with much more ease than average joe drives his truck.

In fact, everytime I have to drive my CLS for work reasons, I miss the Viper and I dread driving the sedan.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on my 10th year as a Viper daily driver.

Orlando, California, Maui, Oahu, and that was in a Gen 1.

I now have a Gen 3 and it is way easier to daily drive, then the Gen 1.

I have about 75,000 daily driven miles in 2 cars. Fun, Fun!

K

Kaya

I have 4500 miles on my new Viper Coupe and I love it as a daily driver....though it would be nice to have something to rotate the car with. We are going to buy another Z06 so I can rotate the two cars. I wouldn't dream of not having a performance car as a daily. I love it. I drove my original Z06 for 5 years and drove a hardtop Vette for almost two years prior to that.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know how the weather is in Alabama, but in NY a Viper could never be a daily driver. Plus I would think IT makes the weekend drive all the more special. Get an E63 for a daily driver..mucho comfy and very fast!!

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously though... The prices of the SRT have come down so much I am almost thinking of not selling my 06 and using it as a daily. Why not, the thing is bullet proof and very comfortable.

I say go for it. Drive it till the wheels fall off.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is not exactly a daily driver, but I drive it several times a week, and have for 5 years now.
I've got a practical utility car for leaving in movie or shopping center parking lots, and other places where my car will be unattended for hours, or in questionable neighborhoods.

I did have to bite the bullet and accept that I am going to have a higher mileage Viper, but I really love driving the car, and I feel great every time that I get behind the wheel. Still.

So just buy a ******, and enjoy driving the Viper often. :laugh:

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My youngest son turned 16 and has taken over my '04 Ram Hemi Sport. Guess what Dad's now on a daily basis?????

While I'm not happy about the situation, I know others do this too.

Any suggestions as to how best to deal with this this dilemma, short of buying another set of wheels????

Don

Don,

All I can figure is that deep down you just want to get another ride. The obvious solution: 16 yr gets a job and buys a ******. That's what 16 year olds are supposed to drive. Dad drives the 04 Ram Hemi Sport.

Times sure have changed. My first car was 16 years old and shared 50/50 with my brother.

Steve

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I admire you daily drivers--I could not do it. When I had my Gen 1 and 2 Vipers I had Vettes as daily drivers.

More recently I bought an 06 Honda Pilot as a daily but ran into the same problem--my son claimed it as his daily driver.

I have now found perhaps the ultimate daily driver that combines exotic looks, power (440 HP) and comfort (getting old) a new Caddy XLR-V, so far, so good. Many creature comforts, really quick and I can drive it for long periods while the SRT rests.

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just thought of a better idea, why not give the Viper to your son so you can have the truck as the daily again!:D LOL!!!

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use mine as a daily driver but have my excursion for weather days. Everyone here feels as if their viper is a collectors car. watch the Barret jackson and you will find out it isn't. I bought mine for 60k and plan on putting miles on it. Go buy an Escalade and you will pay ~70k and it will worth half that in 2yrs. I think the viper is a fun daily driver and if I sell it in a couple of yrs and get 40k for it I'm still ahead.My .02

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad