damn scratches everywhere on my car! 02 red rt10

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fine swirl and straight light scratches but in every direction.There are more STRAIGHT LINE SCRATCHES THAN SWIRL TOO.

The 2 pics are just an example but not my car.

They look like this but all over just everywhere..see pics.

My car is red though.I only have a camera phone but pics are not loaded yet.They look alot like the hood pic.Is it my car cover maybe? Micro fiber towels? from Windex (wax coming of) or california duster too? All 3?

I do SLIDE the car cover as I take it on and off instead of ROLLING it.

I do not remember seeing as many ever on my car! UGHH...

I am bringing the car to a PROFESSIONAL first thing in the Spring.What should I tell him to do?

4 step? Wet sand? Orbital only? Rotory only? How manyy coats of Wax etc..?

ps..I asked the detail guy I brought it to the first time (and only time)- I had swirl scratches/marks on my car but he said he never used one on it.

Attachments

• IMGP3958.jpg
    IMGP3958.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 155
  • ba3aeswirls7qc.jpg
    ba3aeswirls7qc.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 137

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That all looks like it can be buffed out. There's some good info in this section on equipment and methods for that. One of these days I'm going to do my car. I bought a Makita to get it done with.

Gotta thank AgentF1 for helping my pick all my goodies out. He's to buffing like Tom is to fluids.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ask how many years he has been detailing and have him show you a car he has done. Then tell him what you want, don't ask him since if he is a professional he should know what is required to remove the fine swirls

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I used a light cutting foam pad from Mcquires and an orbital. I used it in with Mequires light cutting. Call these guys and they will tell you exactly how to do it. There great. I did my whole black 04 Viper . All gone..... Just go slow.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to do some polishing,compounding to get those out. Those aren't swirls - they are spiderwebbing and they are from improper car washing/drying. Don't worry, a detailer can remove those without much of a problem. And no, you don't need to wet sand. When detailing you always start with the "softest" approach and then go "harder" if the first step didn't work.

- Anthony

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless you know what you are doing, simply take it to a professional...evaluate other cars he has done...ask for before and after pics, and get references. Talk to past customers and see if the guy/girl is good - that is the main thing.

It is really easy to mess it up worse than it already is. For a really good detailer, making it look like a brand new car will be a piece of cake - for the average Joe, it could be the worst nightmare....

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few coats of Z-5 will take out the fine scratches and swirlies. If you want a trophy winning show car finish, Zaino is really great stuff -- gives a very deep wet look (great depth, reflectivity, and luster).

If you use a buffer, use a random orbital.

This is one coat of Zaino -- notice the reflections in the hood, and even the leaves on the street. Wait 'til I get about 50 coats on! No swirlies! :)

You must be registered for see images

This is about 50 coats of Zaino -- the more the better! This one has a whole stack of first place show trophies. :)

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember z5 is a paint sealant and actually works by filling in the swirls/light scratches.. it may not work on deeper swirls.....it does have a reputation of "long lasting" and the more coats you can put on would theoretically fill in the deeper swirls/scratches....

Best thing for him to do is have a professional apply a cutting polish and then maintain the finish with Z5 or probably z2 would be a better choice

Z5 also has a rep for working better on darker cars

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys but 90% of my scratches are NOT swirls they are just sraight and crooked scratches similar to the 1st vette yellow hood pic. Most are a couple inches long or less.Can a microfiber detail towel do this?

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys but 90% of my scratches are NOT swirls they are just sraight and crooked scratches similar to the 1st vette yellow hood pic. Most are a couple inches long or less.Can a microfiber detail towel do this?

Not likely, a dirty one can scratch anything. I wish I was closer, I could come inspect your car and give it a throughout detailing. :)

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Newport mentioned. Meguires support line is the best. I used speed glaze and a light cutting pad.
on an orbital. had to apply some additional pressure on some but, There ALL gone. There products are safe and the foam pads work great it was the purple pad. Scratches are usually clear coat surface problems from washing or using a dirty rag or microfiber cloth.I air blow off the dust since the bigger dust particles are easily removed with air. Use a detailer spray and about 20 microfiber towels to do the job. I also inspect each and every fiber towel before it touches the paint. I am perplexxed how things get on these towels right out of the washer. MAKE SURE YOU LOOK OVER THE TOWELS BEFORE USE.I have not washed my car in over two years and it still looks great and no scratches..

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You never want to put a cover on your car after you drove it as the road dust WILL scratch your finish. You really should wash it first but may be able to get away with using a calif duter before you cover it. If you go with the latter make sure you use the duster with common sense. Use NO pressure, just let the tips of the strands glide over the finish.

I would pick up a good orbital polisher like the Flex 3401 or Porter Cable, some foam pads (Lake Country or Meguiars) and some good polish like Zaino ZPC, 3M or Menzerna. If you would like to discuss what supplies you need or procedures please feel free to PM me and I will give you my number so we can talk about it on the phone. It is alot easier than typing it all out here.

Too bad you are not closer as I would tell you to bring it on by. :dunno:

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Agentf1.

Yes I do put the cover on almost always after a drive.It is dusty here due to alot of wind and construction.Whats worse is I do not roll it on.I just slide it on!

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agentf1 steered me in the right direction the only other thing I could add is if it touches the car it will scratch it.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it sounds like it is not being taken care of properly. You can not put a cover on when its dusty... period. You have to clean your car first then put it on. The cover needs to be cleaned a well... especially if you have put in on the car whe its dirty. I also recommend using a leaf blower when drying it off. It will dry the car without any friction o nthe surface plus it does a great job of getting the water out of the seems in the car.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks Agentf1.
Yes I do put the cover on almost always after a drive.It is dusty here due to alot of wind and construction.Whats worse is I do not roll it on.I just slide it on!

Dirty Car + Car Cover (Roll or Slide) = Scratches/Swirls

You have answered your own question.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few coats of Z-5 will take out the fine scratches and swirlies. If you want a trophy winning show car finish, Zaino is really great stuff -- gives a very deep wet look (great depth, reflectivity, and luster).

If you use a buffer, use a random orbital.

This is one coat of Zaino -- notice the reflections in the hood, and even the leaves on the street. Wait 'til I get about 50 coats on! No swirlies! :)

This is about 50 coats of Zaino -- the more the better! This one has a whole stack of first place show trophies. :)

I've seen that Z in person at ZDayZ. An absolutely amazing paint finish on that thing.

I would agree though that Z5 is a 'filler', and as such will not remove the scratches but fill them in to reduce their appearance In Kevin's case, the clear coat is damaged and needs to be releveled. Then a few dozen coats of Z2 applied. :D :D

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had swirls and scratches like that on my car and I found out I was using crappy quality micro fiber towels. Changed to the ones from Adam's, I think, and after using my PC to get rid of the mess the paint looks perfect. I was using the COSTCO towels b4 btw. Now I only use them to do the tires on Viper.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try adamspolishes.com for the Adam's towels and I just remembered chemicalguys.com....haven't ordered from them as of yet but I heard that's where a lot of the on-line detail retailers get their towels. I would imagine both Adam's and The Chemical Guys ship to Canada.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had swirls and scratches like that on my car and I found out I was using crappy quality micro fiber towels. Changed to the ones from Adam's, I think, and after using my PC to get rid of the mess the paint looks perfect. I was using the COSTCO towels b4 btw. Now I only use them to do the tires on Viper.

The COSTCO towels are awful for polishing. Basically, one wipe with them and you're done. I now use them as shop rags. They hold up well in that regard.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to say what it needs without actually seeing it but I will say you want to go with the least aggressive methods first and then work your way up to a rotary or in the worst case scenerio wet sanding.

If you are fairly handy with a buffer I would pick up a Flex 3401 preferably or a Porter Cable at the very least and some Menzerna Polishes. I prefer their Ceramic line but even their old version Final Polish is good. Pick up some good Lake Country (white or green) or Meguiars (yellow and tan) foam 6.5" pads. Set your speed at about 5.5 and make slow overlapping passes keeping the pad flat on the finish and keep working the polish until you see it starting to turn clear. DO NOT buff until it is dry. Once the polish flashes (turns clear) stop and wipe off the residue with a quality micro fiber towel. Do a panel at a time or should I say small 2' X 2' sections at a time until your entire car is done. Then I would wash with Z7 which should remove all of the polishing oils and then apply your Zaino. I prefer Z5p since it has some filling capabilities and will hide some of the small swirls that you were not able to remove. Or of course you can use the LSP of your choice if you do not like Zaino.

You may also want to do the baggie test first to see if it needs to be clayed before polishing it.

Baggie Test
Put your hand in a clean baggie and lightly rub across the clean surface of your paint. The baggie will help amplify an embedded grit on your finish allowing you to feel it. If it feels rough clay the car before polishing it.

I hope the helps.

Good luck and keep the cover for when the car is clean and parked in the garage. They really do do more harm than good IMHO. Wind is another no no when it comes to covers. :nono: