dash crack

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just noticed the top of the dash of my '04 SRT-10 has a crack on the passenger side parallel to the side of the car about 3 inches long approx. 10" from the A post. Car has only 3K miles and never sat parked in sun more than a couple of hours, stored at all times in climate controlled garage, never even been wet. Anyone ever had this happen? Ideas on fixing? Thanks.

V

Venomiss

I just noticed the top of the dash of my '04 SRT-10 has a crack on the passenger side parallel to the side of the car about 3 inches long approx. 10" from the A post. Car has only 3K miles and never sat parked in sun more than a couple of hours, stored at all times in climate controlled garage, never even been wet. Anyone ever had this happen? Ideas on fixing? Thanks.

Call Chuck Tator since you are in NY? Bet he might have some ideas for you.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck's number is 1-914-763-3136! If there is ANYone who can help you, Chuck can! Tell him Juli and Mary/Venomiss sent ya~~~juli

Reaction score
I have seen this a couple of times and both times it was from someone cleaning off the window sticker residue with a razor blade. Did you buy the car new? If you want you can send me a couple photos of it and I will let you know what I think.

[email protected]

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one on my 04 Mamba, mine was on the passenger side right about where the air bag would be, major PITA to fix

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Where exactly in NY are you from?

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2004 passenger side cracked early this year. Car is always in the garage and it seemed to happen overnight. It was about 3" long running front to rear. My very good friend and Dodge Service Manager at Lambdin Dodge took care of it. It was quite the project. Mark I still owe you at least a dinner for that one.

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who replied. I 've been away a couple of days. Here are replies to a few comments that were posted.

MJORGENSEN: No razor ever near the right side of dash. Stickers are on drivers side anyway in NY and I personally remove inspection stickers, registration, etc. I can guarantee no sharp object has touched dash. I did not purchase new. I purchased the car with 600 miles on it three years ago from a guy even more meticulous that myself. I'll post a picture later today if I can figure out how.

RAY W: Sounds suspiciously like what you had. Its so perfectly straight (not random) it almost looks as if it was designed-in. Manufacturing defect?? Did you have to replace the dash pad?

VIPER SPECIALTY: I am located between Rochester and Syracuse, NY.

I will give Chuck a call and ask him what he thinks.

THANKS everyone.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I had the pad replaced. If it wasn't under warranty I would have just had it repaired. It did look just like a razor cut about 2-3" long.

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics to show what it looks like:

Ray, did yours look like this??

DSCN0803.JPG

DSCN0804.JPG

Reaction score
Most definitely NOT the airbag area. It sure looks like it was "nicked" and then spread open over time to me. Not to say the warranty won't cover it for you just an observation based on others.

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been out of warranty for about a year so warranty not an issue at this point. Just looking for the most practical/cost effective way to fix it.

Chuck Tator said it is quite a job to remove it (the dash top) and a new one is mucho dolleros just for the part. So might be best to attempt a repair.

Not sure if an in-vehicle repair is possible.

May make a good upstate New York winter project to remove it and send it off too a good dash pad repair/restoration company (like Just Dashes). I've had to do this before for my 43 year old GTO, just never thought I'd have to do it for a 4 year old Viper.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the spot. Mine might have been an inch further down from the windshield and was about the same distance from the speaker. You've got nothing to lose if you try to repair it first. I think the new pad might have been $1300.00.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the spot. Mine might have been an inch further down from the windshield and was about the same distance from the speaker. You've got nothing to lose if you try to repair it first. I think the new pad might have been $1300.00.
Wow thats a cheap crack. Gotta love the "Viper Tax":(

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Assuming there wasnt any outside help, it looks like that crack may have formed from a previous weakness in the panel, perhaps a scratch on the backside of the panel. One the sun dried it out a bit and heated/cooled, it just cracked. I would definitely try to replace the panel, not fix it in this case. The dash material is formed, very difficult to remove. I would try finding a used one however before paying the [sure to be asinine] price for a new one.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When mine was still under warranty I presented it to Hill Kelly Dodge. Along with pictures of a Viper with a blown airbag (my son got off internet)showing it in exact same area. Well the zone rep was on vacation (no kidding) blah blah, buy time,they had some good ones but the razor blade slipped when the car was being prepped is new. Presented me with a bill to fix for 2700.00 Whats really sad is I was ready to split the 2700. and been a loyal customer for life.... and they wonder why Chrysler is in trouble

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a 2" split in my wife's Lexus door trim panel repaired by a mobile company called Dr. Vinyl here in PA. I found them thru a dealer contact...the dealer uses them almost daily to re-con their used cars.

Looks good, almost invisible...about 95%, and it cost me $75.00. They came to my home and took less than 1 hour.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe and just maybe you could install a small VCA/viper logo or somethig. Maybe buy a Viper medalion like in the front facia and install over a repair job? Not sure how it would turn out but your options look limited

OP
OP
N

NOTVETTE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. When I decide what to do I'll post the results.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go to a detail shop they should know of a company than can repair cracks, tears, and holes in dashes, doors, and seats. I had one done on my Jeep last year and it cost $75.00. I could not see where it was repaired afterwords.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
after I had an almost new Dash Pad in hand,(thanks to XViper) I took the car to a guru @ the Caddy dealer who fixed for 75.00 I can see it but noone else has mentioned. I am willing to sell the new pad but not under 900.00. Sure would have made my VCA dues even cheaper to have had this thread when appeared under warranty.