dash rattle in 08 vert

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday after hitting 900+ miles on my new 08, it developed a pretty loud rattle. It seems to be in the instrument section near the radio or AC vents. I've tried pushing on things, turning the AC on and off but no change. There was a previous post on the 06's having this problem. The service manual I have is a bit sketchy on how to remove the instrument bezel. Does any one have pics on how to get it apart and tools needed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:dunno:

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
almost 6k miles on my 08 coupe and i've got a rattle/bumping noise coming from the passanger side rear when I hit bumps and stuff. No clue where the hell its coming from....

OP
OP
U

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is steady after 20 mph but doesn't seem to track bumps or engine rpm's.

Reaction score
almost 6k miles on my 08 coupe and i've got a rattle/bumping noise coming from the passanger side rear when I hit bumps and stuff. No clue where the hell its coming from....

Take it to a dealer and have them check the wheel bearings for play and the ball joints or even a loose shock bolt.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday after hitting 900+ miles on my new 08, it developed a pretty loud rattle. It seems to be in the instrument section near the radio or AC vents. I've tried pushing on things, turning the AC on and off but no change. There was a previous post on the 06's having this problem. The service manual I have is a bit sketchy on how to remove the instrument bezel. Does any one have pics on how to get it apart and tools needed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:dunno:

This might not be the cause, but, check your shifter. If the rod is loose you'll hear a rattle that I swore was in the dash. When the rattle occurs grab the shift nob and see.

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take it to a dealer and have them check the wheel bearings for play and the ball joints or even a loose shock bolt.
Its going in next week for oil change so I'll have them do that while I'm there. Noticed a popping sound sometimes coming from the passangers side front as well sometimes when i make a slow turn.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 04 and my 06 did that from day one, never did figure out what it is....seems like it is worse when it is cold, and gets quieter when it is warm. Always from the right rear and especially on choppy bumps

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm gald I've had no issues with rattles, or noises in my 05 Comm. Edition.......solid as a rock, and 6,800K miles to date. Sorry to hear if the rattle.....there has to be a solution......keep after it...and you'll get it solved.

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 04 and my 06 did that from day one, never did figure out what it is....seems like it is worse when it is cold, and gets quieter when it is warm. Always from the right rear and especially on choppy bumps
Temp hasent seemed to make a difference. Was 106 the otherday and was still doing it.

conceptpi916

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have the dealer fix it. Just went through this with my Dodge truck (under warranty). Had a squeak that was driving me crazy. I took it to the dealer. They took a day, isolated the problem, removed the dash and reconnected/fixed a loose vent duct. Didnt cost me a dime AND they detailed my truck while it was there :)

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday after hitting 900+ miles on my new 08, it developed a pretty loud rattle. It seems to be in the instrument section near the radio or AC vents. I've tried pushing on things, turning the AC on and off but no change. There was a previous post on the 06's having this problem.
I've got that rattle.

I chalk it up as 'character'.:smirk::D

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unclestu, I'm hoping its just a loose shifter. I had a strong rattle in the area you mentioned and I would never have believed the noise was from the shifter. The dash is easy to take apart if needed, but you have to take off the shifter surround to get the bottom nut off of the face of the radio surround. also, all those pieces scratch easily. If you have to go into the dash, get the dealer to do it. If you want to do it yourself, ask somone to give you the pages from the service manual so you see all the screws and the sequence. I'd be happy to fax you, but, I'm traveling now and won't be home till Tuesday.

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 coupe just developed a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the instrument cluster area. It seems to happen when you hit bumps in the pavement. I will hold the shifter and see if that helps

OP
OP
U

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unclestu, I'm hoping its just a loose shifter. I had a strong rattle in the area you mentioned and I would never have believed the noise was from the shifter. The dash is easy to take apart if needed, but you have to take off the shifter surround to get the bottom nut off of the face of the radio surround. also, all those pieces scratch easily. If you have to go into the dash, get the dealer to do it. If you want to do it yourself, ask somone to give you the pages from the service manual so you see all the screws and the sequence. I'd be happy to fax you, but, I'm traveling now and won't be home till Tuesday.

Thanks, I have the Tech Authority CD service manual, but it doesn't have a lot of detail in the pictures. I'll check your shifter theory and maybe get someone to do some listening to try and pinpoint the location better. I'll probably work on it this weekend some but I'm leary of pulling the center console bezel. If you get a chance when you get back I'd like to see your drawings for the bezel removals. Like you say if all else fails take it to the dealer. Thanks unclestu

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rattle in dash is the defroster duct i have the old tsb from 2003 saved in my email put dont know how to post it here. can someone help or give me a email and ill forward it on to you. easy fix with the directions and photos. thanks Benny

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea i have the same rattle and it is the center defroster duct,,, some days it rattles some days it doesn't

VCA Member
Reaction score
My '08 has the same rattle - appeared after 1200 miles. It is the defroster vent. I haven't had the time to fix it. Can't be that difficult. Just fixed the same rattle in my Jetta diesel – two years to get to it – one hour to fix.

OP
OP
U

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This might not be the cause, but, check your shifter. If the rod is loose you'll hear a rattle that I swore was in the dash. When the rattle occurs grab the shift nob and see.

The shifter diesn't seem to be the problem. Rattle/noise noticeable from 5 mph up to 45. seems to get better after 50 mph.:) Also seems closest to the AC vents. Will check with the dealer to see what they think.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the defroster vent rattle on my 04, I can't believe they are still putting the same part in knowing that it was too long and rubbing up against the housing. It is indeed avery easy fix, you have to pop out the defroster vent, and shave off the bottom edge of the plastic and put it back in. The TSB number is 23-027-03 NOV 03

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 vert has/had a dash rattle that was intermittent but we seem to have isolated it as being the windshield defroster vent.

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the rattle also (first noticed after I put the top up), it drove me crazy. It was interment and seldom. I would hit the dash area by the defrost vent and it went away. When I took it in they said the fixed something in dash AA. We'll see as it wasn't making the noise then
Charlie

viperrrr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had thec same problem with my 08 coupe. It was making me crazy so I purchased TSB 23-027-03 for a 03-04 car from All DATA.Ifollowed the instructions and removed the deforster duct. I was a little surprised at what I found. The flange on the duct was already grinded at the factory. It was not done well. It was uneven. I inserted a grinding attachment on my dremel and sheared off additional material on the flange. I reinstalled the duct took the car for a test on a rough bumpy road and to my statisfaction the rattle was gone. It seems that the factory is using the same part as they did on the 03 cars and grinding it. If they did not take off enough material on the duct in your car you will have a rattle because the duct will touch the deforster grill.

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Turned out that a bolt for the rear swaybar had come loose on teh rear passanger side. They retorqued it and the bumping noise is gone. :2tu::headbang::2tu:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turned out that a bolt for the rear swaybar had come loose on teh rear passanger side. They retorqued it and the bumping noise is gone. :2tu::headbang::2tu:

Do you know what the torque settings are for the sway bar bolts....

OP
OP
U

Unclestu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had thec same problem with my 08 coupe. It was making me crazy so I purchased TSB 23-027-03 for a 03-04 car from All DATA.Ifollowed the instructions and removed the deforster duct. I was a little surprised at what I found. The flange on the duct was already grinded at the factory. It was not done well. It was uneven. I inserted a grinding attachment on my dremel and sheared off additional material on the flange. I reinstalled the duct took the car for a test on a rough bumpy road and to my statisfaction the rattle was gone. It seems that the factory is using the same part as they did on the 03 cars and grinding it. If they did not take off enough material on the duct in your car you will have a rattle because the duct will touch the deforster grill.

How did you remove the grille? Do I need a special tool? Thanks

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is actually a tool that the dealers use, (trim removal tool), I don't know exactly what it looks like. You should be able to get under it and lift it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960