Day 2 heats things up! (lotsa pics)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, it isn't even really Day 2, as many arrived today and tomorrow is their first full day. No matter, it was my second day in Nashville, so here you go!

Despite the rain, it's "all systems go" for the parade. First things first - you gotta get gas!

You must be registered for see images

Leading the pack? Sterling Marlin, of course...

Next up we have:

And in a beautiful black SRT-10 (my favorite color):

And we're off!

So you say, "Big deal, a few Vipers drove around in the rain". WRONG! Some 300 snakes showed up for this very lengthy parade. It wound along several miles of interstate freeways and through the heart of downtown. And here is the kicker: They shut it ALL down for the Vipers - every last inch. Every freeway entry ramp, every side street, all the streetlights, EVERYTHING! I shot this picture hanging one arm out of the passenger window at speed...

Yep, another entry ramp to the freeway shut down for the Vipers. One of the funniest things I have EVER heard was on the FRS radios we were carrying. A woman, not with the Vipers, was complaining about being stuck on one of these freeway entrance ramps. "Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. Maybe the King of the Vipers died or something." Too funny!

(continued)

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we wound down through downtown Nashville and several people braved the rain to come out and watch. Quite a few of them were waving and shouting out. And then came a surreal moment: I look up and there is some guy making the "fangs" symbol with his fingers - kinda like he wanted to claw my eyes out. Grinning like a madman. As this all flashed by I looked closely and it was none other than JonB! As I went through my numerous pictures tonight, I found that I managed to get him in one of them during that weird moment in time, even if the picture wasn't so great...

Okay, so we get back to the hotel and I have a few hours to kill before the "webhead" meet at 4:00. So, being a complete idiot, I decide to go out and shoot some pictures of the Vipers personalized plates. Which turned out to be over 200 cars at that point. In the driving rain. With an umbrella the size of a pie plate. By the end of this endeavor an hour and a half later (all for your benefit, gentle reader), I was completely soaked. My tennis shoes were gushing water out of the eyelets and the tops. My wallet and all the contents soaked through. Cell phone zapped and not displaying anything. I managed to keep my head and neck dry, but that was about it. Rather than even attempt to post a zillion plate photos right now (2:30 AM and I am EXHAUSTED), here is one of my faves:

So, I go back to my hotel and change out of everything. May have to wear wingtips to the track now. Realize I am running late and need to get to the webhead meeting. Of course, we were so SURE about our plans for the meeting location that we forgot to check one thing: When it opened! Turns out we planned this for 4:00 and it was closed until 5:00. No matter, we soon had a big crowd having fun meeting one another, and they even opened the bar early just for us. Here is about 1/8 of our group:

It was really wild to place the names with the faces. Fun too! Anybody care to guess who any of these folks are? I will tell you that one of them is one of the more, um, well-known posters on these very boards...
wink.gif

Time for drinks and dinner! Of course, open bars from 6:00 until 11:00 (some people get their $700 worth out of that alone). The main hall for the dinner had some very neat graphics and four very cool cars: The Oreca GTS/R, the ORIGINAL GTS Pace Car from 1996 (yep, with the sunroof), and two others. The first was exactly that, the FIRST Viper ever produced as a prototype:

Notice the hood, etc. Very cool car, despite being built with a V8! On center stage was the SRT-10. Not too shabby!

(continued)

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the bar area, they gave us some nice eye candy: The new Neon SRT-4, the SRT-10 Dodge Ram (24" wheels were unbelievable), and this little jewel:

Soon we received the opening "welcome" from Jim Julow, Global Brand Manager for Dodge. In such a large room, you would worry about being able to see and hear him well. Throw in a couple giant projection screens and you are set:

Next up was Wolfgang Bernhard himself, the head of Chrysler. He was a good speaker and had the audience really fired up. Among other things, he talked about the SRT Ram truck, which "will reduce the (Ford) Lightning to a fart." Delivered with his German accent, it was hilarious...

He then spoke of the company's loyalty to the Viper program and it's owners. He said that we are not just customers, but are truly friends. It was pretty cool to hear this from him. So we heard a little more "welcoming" and then were invited to go to the memorabilia showcase. Before we could even push back our seats, one of the wildest things I have EVER seen happened: From behind the SRT on the stage came another SRT-10 - in the air!!

The picture is a little blurry, but I was too wowed by the moment. Here was a FULL SIZE SRT-10 flying around above our heads with NO WIRES. Turns out it is a very expensive helium filled model (I got the details from one of the "pilots") whose body weighs all of nine pounds. Even had working headlights, driving lights, and taillights! It was flown around with three small (and very silent) electric propellers. Incredible!

So, we then went over to the memorabilia showcase. Bigger than ever! Rather than post all the pictures from that (including numerous full-size Vipers on display - two in Doug Legvin's booth alone), here are a couple highlights. First, remember when Sean Roe said his car was getting a facelift for VOI? WOW!!

This car had a crowd around it all night, so I will get some better shots of it later. The burgundy paint job is absolutely gorgeous and a color I have never seen on a Viper before. One of the other highlights was seeing all the folks from PVO (DC's Performance Vehicle Operations). One of our favorites is none other than Herb Helbig...

You may recall him as the driver of the SRT-10 that raced the F-16 fighter jet (and thus the tie). Fun crowd indeed!

So we wrapped things up for the night (some four hours ago) and had to do one last thing: The ceremonial "signing of the hoods".

Dodge provides these hoods at each VOI so that the attendees can sign them. They are then brought back to CAAP (the Viper factory) and put on display with hoods from previous VOI's. Of course this time it was the all-new 2003 SRT hood. Very cool!

So, hope you enjoyed this post. It is now almost 3:15 AM and I have to try and get a little sleep for tomorrows activities, which start at 6:30 AM. Yikes - that's three hours!

Chris

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One last note before it is "lights out": My ftp software I use to upload images crashed. I have uploaded these latest images to my rather undependable AOL account space. Should any of these pictures show up with a "red x", just right click them and then "show picture" (or whatever your browser calls for). The pictures ARE there and should work!

Chris

<FONT COLOR="red">Edit on 10/7/02: Changed the host back to the Kansas City VCA web site. Should be MUCH better now!</FONT c>

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great post. I didn't get to go cause I used the money for the roe sc, roller rockers,blah blah . ..

Thanks for the report and pics. Loks like fun. If the y move it out west next year . .i am there!

Flyin Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for taking the time out of your personal fun to post all these pics and write up all of this narrative. You allow everyone else to share in the adventure and I expect that many, many more online folks appreciate your efforts. If ever we meet, I owe you one!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris:
You also have my gratitude. Your updates and photos are truly wonderful to read! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

All of us that could not attend owe you a debt a gratitude. Thanks for taking time out of you vacation to keep us posted on the event at VOI.

Great job and thanks again!!

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Chris, great pics and story.

If you need FTP space, call me or email me and I will set up an account on my server for you with no limits.

That goes for any of the VOI attendees, I have server space for your pictures!!!!!

Dunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those pictures are incredible.

The burgandy Viper, isn't that kind of like the 50th Anniversary Corvettes color?
tongue.gif
yesnod.gif

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics!

DC should stop showing the Concept Coupe, It makes the SRT/10
look bad and if they aren't going to build the coupe I don't think they should show it!

Keep the pics and info coming though!

2Charmed

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one problem.

I am not in any of the photo's, therefore I am not there, therefore I am very very very jealous.

Have a great time.

Could anyone from the UK fit the inflatable in there luggage?

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Chris,
Many, many thanks for the time and effort ( and loss of sleep )to post the photos for the rest of us jealous at not being there.
Source and cost for one of the inflatables ??

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MAN that looks like fun!

I definately have to make the next one. Glad to see the webhead shirts turned out great, I can't wait till I get mine
supergrin.gif

Have a fun, safe time everyone.

Craig

venmous

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris - excellent work; many thanks.

I am officially beginning my savings for a Comp Coupe. They HAVE to produce that car at some point. It is too gorgeous to tease us with a few display models/ race versions.

Roe's paint job is unbelievable!! My jaw kept hitting the space bar on my keyboard and screwed up my typing! I had to go back and edit.

VERY VERY NICE.

P.s. I am guessing that the flying SRT-10 is not something you can buy. Those type of "blimps" are usually custom made; You would have to talk to a "blimp" manufacturer and have it made.

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I KNOW WHO THAT IS IN THE PICTURE!!!!!!!

Its Smokin'.....how the hell does he manage to get into every thread, even without a computer he got himself into this thread HAHAHAHAHAAA
laugh.gif

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well now that the identity is matched with the face -

Hey Smokin .. ya better be bringing me back some VOI goodies to give to me when I see you next time. Did you get a camera to bring this time??

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pix Chris.Good to see everyone there.I still can't belive more than 300 vipers showed up!Amazing!I still need a couple more years for that.I've been studying my driver's manual and i'm only 13!
supergrin.gif
I wanna drive so bad!

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

Thanks for the pics, good job! And thank you for taking the time to make the post. Wow! 300 Vipers in one place! AWESOME!!!

Bob W

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris...........thank you SO MUCH for being our "eyes" at the VOI. You're time taken to post all this for us was very much appreciated!! pete the ex glass guy and hot rodder

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

For those of us who were there and missed many great pics that you caught, THANK YOU!!!

I took about 300 pics, and still managed to miss some great ones that you captured.

If I ever figure out my new computer, printer, and media gallery, I will post my pics.

Thanks again Chris!!!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't had much time to browse around here after the 'event' with work and some family health concerns. Nice pics Chris--Well done. You managed to get a shot of my better half at the web gathering. Your efforts go beyond the call of duty--especially in the rain. The parade was an excitng ride..both in and out of the city.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang