DC giving me a new trans

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took my '04 Viper to my local dealer for some work (broken cooling fan) and asked them to check out a strange noise that I thought was coming from the trans or clutch. It was a fairly loud "whirring" noise that only happend when cruising at low speeds (20 to 40 mph). It has made this noise since I got it last February with 2400 miles. It didn't seem to effect how the car drove (more of an annoyance issue), but it had been getting louder, so I figured I should get it checked out while still under warrantee.

Just got a call from the service manager telling me that they are going to replace my entire trans. I asked what was wrong with it and he said he didn't know. They weren't able to figure out what was causing the noise and called the DC technical hotline. At that point, DC told them to replace it... no questions asked and completely under warrantee.

I'm not complaining, but it does seem a bit odd. Almost like DC knew there was an issue but never did a recall.

Anyone else experience this?

TommyLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In alot of cases, DCX doesn't want the dealer tearing into Viper Engines or Transmissions, as they know it will be cheaper for them in the long run if they just replace them. Far less chance of a tech causing further issues if the unit is just replaced.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy Lee is quite correct plus the fact that they should replace it with a new transmission and not a rebuild job. You did not buy a rebuilt used viper.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC has been using this policy on Vipers for years. They want the parts sent back so that they can learn what is wrong and upgrade necessary parts. This is great for Viper customers, as it tends to improve the breed.
Thanks DC.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DC has been using this policy on Vipers for years. They want the parts sent back so that they can learn what is wrong and upgrade necessary parts. This is great for Viper customers, as it tends to improve the breed.
Thanks DC.

I know, not Viper but years ago they attempted to stop an oil leak on my Plymouth Breeze. After two failed attempts they repalced both the engine and trans. Thats right both. Never understood the logic but screw it. The car already had 60k on it. 200k later and it is still going strong!!!!!
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi