DC PERFORMANCE/ AEM VIPER 857 RWHP!

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have completed the tuning of the supercharged Viper we posted about a few weeks ago, using the new AEM engine management system. Our goal was to create a high hp car with good drivability and reliability (even for the track). We tried to prepare the car as a whole, addressing the weak points in the driveline, chassis and cooling system. At around 12psi with front mount air-to-air intercooler, it made 857rwhp :headbang: and 819rwtrq. The car drives very well, (even with 75 pound injectors) and seems to have no hot running or overheating issues. I would like to thank Scott Armish from AEM and Chris (our resident computer guy) for their great work on the tuning. :2tu: All of us at DC Performance are excited with the results and are eager to see how this car will do on the track .

You must be registered for see images

:2tu: :2tu:

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a Paxton kit that was turned into a DC Performance special! Dan, will you by any chance be selling the "special" parts of that setup for the benefit of those that don't live on the west coast, particularly the intercooler and related plumbing?

Alternative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great looking set up Dan, and nice dyno numbers. :2tu:

Before any track testing, you may want to change the brake fluid. :D

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers? :2tu:

What mods besides the SC does the car have?
Were you able to get before AEM unit dyno numbers?
How long did it take to tune it properly?

Congrats again! :headbang:

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest, we are all very excited about this car. I will try to answer your questions. The supercharger kit was what Paxton calls "the tuner kit".
Basically a supercharger and brackets. The rest we had to build and supply, which was quite a bit. The components of this kit were special, we do sell many parts to upgrade the Paxton system, but the exact parts in this job are not yet available.

The engine was built for roadracing and to take the power. Better rods and pistons, billet main caps, studded heads with berylium valve seats, etc... The cam was very mild (hydraulic) and the major focus was reliability.

Major changes were made to the cooling system, which was our big concern. It seems to have paid off as the car seems to run cool under the most severe dyno testing (we will see).

The biggest plus for this setup was the AEM engine management system! This car has great throttle response and drivability (better than what we have had before). Chris, our resident tuner, was very excited about the system and working with AEM. Scott Armish (AEM) was a big help.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say track.... I assume you mean 1/4 track? It would be interesting to see how it does on road course for 15-20 laps. Nice looking system!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome Job DC! Great Numbers and Great Torque!!

This setup is ideal for Road Racing!!

Have you contacted Paolo or Jr for Top Speed Testing yet?! LOL!

This is what I know the AEM to be! Congrats again!

Elanderholm, the definition of "Track" on this board the majority of the time refers to roadracing. Whereas, "Quarter-Mile" "What's yer 60'" and 1/8th refer to the V-10 Nats! lol!

Jay K.

OP
OP
D

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the interest everyone. The AEM management system should be ready to release in 8 weeks. They have spent more development time on this system than any other
system they provide. Overall we are very impressed.

The car will be put on the road race track, that is why we spent so much time on the cooling system. The radiator was relocated and tilted forward. The front of the car was ducted for airflow. The radiator contains the oil and power steering coolers and has a higher flow fan assembly.

We will do some top speed runs in this car. It will be interesting as we have changed the transmission ratios
(top speed most likely will be in 6th gear).

For those interested in a higher output system for the Paxton setup. We will be doing several 9psi systems shortly. They will include a fuel system upgrade as well as a pulley change.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice and clean setup. I have a question regarding your fuel system. I have a paxton car and ALMOST everyone on this board knows what can happen if these systems are not setup right. Do you sell a fuel systems that includes rails, top fed injectors and all the plumbing, etc to make it work?
Thanks

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SAE numbers were slightly higher 859rwhp and 821rwtrq.
Actual numbers seemed the best to post.
DAN CONGRATS!NUMBERS AND FABRICATION WORK VERY IMPRESSIVE.WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO POST AN SAE CORRECTED DYNO SHEET SHOWING HORSEPOWER,TORQUE AND THE A/F RATIO.I WOULD IMAGINE THE A/F MIGHT BE AROUND 11 OR SO.THANX! NORM KOERNER :eek: :2tu:

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impressive results. The numbers are almost identical to what my Heffner 1000 SCi produces. The AEM will most likely be my next upgrade. I'm glad it will be out in 8 weeks. :2tu:

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.........** hum ............... :rolleyes: As one of Dan Cragin's VERY happy customers of his TWIN supercharged system, I subscribe to the theory that if one is good..... TWO is even better! :cool:

What I love is that Dan really engineers and tests his systems to take the abuse specifically resulting from "lap after lap" road course use. If it can take that in stride, it's likely never going to let you down anywhere else. My car actually runs COOLER now, on the street as well, as it ever did before he got his hands on it. Every few months, out of the blue, I get a call from him, just wanting to make sure there are no new issues he needs to address. First class service all the way, long after he got my $$$! Thanks again bud!

For those of you considering his supercharged systems, get ready to start wearing a permanent, silly grin! Remember..... walk and talk softly...... but, carry a BIG friggin stick! (or even TWO of them!) :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang