"Dead '08 Snake in the Middle of the Road..."

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right: my 265 mi. '08 died (or passed out) in the middle lane of an intersection yesterday, spewing gas out of the passenger side exhaust!

Fortunately I was able to get a flat bed ride back to the delivering dealer ASAP.

So much for finishing break in this weekend! :(

The Viper tech said it seemed like the fuel line to the gas tank came unhooked. (I am thinking Molotov cocktail).

Anyway, not good news, but hopefully not too bad. I will find out on Monday.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right: my 265 mi. '08 died (or passed out) in the middle lane of an intersection yesterday, spewing gas out of the passenger side exhaust!

Fortunately I was able to get a flat bed ride back to the delivering dealer ASAP.

The Viper tech said it seemed like the fuel line to the gas tank came unhooked. (I am thinking Molotov cocktail).

Good thing you're not one of those obnoxious smokers that flick their butts out the window. :omg:

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good thing you're not one of those obnoxious smokers that flick their butts out the window. :omg:

I HATE those drivers! I have called the cops on them before and of course had discussionswith such drivers. Just terrible.

But yes, that would/could have been a disaster.

I came from a lightly-modded C6 Z06 and so far I love the new Snake, even if it did die on me! Just hope this is a simple fix. :omg:

Vip23er

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I HATE those drivers! I have called the cops on them before and of course had discussionswith such drivers. Just terrible.

But yes, that would/could have been a disaster.

I came from a lightly-modded C6 Z06 and so far I love the new Snake, even if it did die on me! Just hope this is a simple fix. :omg:
If you came from a C6 ZO6, which would you say is the better sports car? I had a 2007 Corvette and in my opinion, MY 2003 Viper is the better car...hands down! I am curious as to your thoughts since I did not have the ZO6.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new 2008 Black Viper Coupe and a C6 Z06,they are different,but both really nice.Go American Super Cars.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you came from a C6 ZO6, which would you say is the better sports car? I had a 2007 Corvette and in my opinion, MY 2003 Viper is the better car...hands down! I am curious as to your thoughts since I did not have the ZO6.

I was thinking it would make the most sense to write the comparison once I have at least 100 mi. after break in on the Viper (it has 265 mi. now). That way I can open it up and compare the cars better. There are truly MANY differences. So, let me get my Molotov cocktail Viper back and put a few miles on first! :usa:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know how it could be a fuel line if its spewing gas out the exhaust? Wouldn't that mean the gas wouldn't be going into the engine, sounds more like an electrical problem to me.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how it could be a fuel line if its spewing gas out the exhaust? Wouldn't that mean the gas wouldn't be going into the engine, sounds more like an electrical problem to me.

Ah...it WOULD mean I had a spot about a yard by a yard outside the passenger exhaust port consisting of a gas puddle and gas on my passenger side tire. You can call it an electric problem if you like (and who knows, you may be right),but the car smelled like gas, had the aforesaid gas puddle, would turn over but not start AND the Viper tech smelling the exhaust port and tire and listening to the car crank but not start said that he thought that the fuel line came off and it would be an easy fix. Sorry, but I do not know more. I expect to tomorrow.

In retrospect, it might have been a bit more dangerous that I thought. :(

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah thats a shame. I know you have been waiting on that car to get shipped from Texas for a while... and then this. At least all of the bad times are out early and it will be good driving from here on out.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Jamie. How can a fuel line produce a gas puddle post combustion? The fuel woud somehow have to get into the exhaust through the exhaust (leak?).

I wouldnt just take anyones word for it, I'd have it inspected by a second party as well. Not doubting that there was gas there, just how it got there.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car fixed, just picked it up.

Bad fuel line connection from the factory.

I am just glad I did not explode and that the situation was easily corrected.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI--Factory Viper Tech followed up personally with me on the car. Very nice service, and very nice they do read this Forum!!:usa::2tu:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Stuck Open Fuel Injector, either mechanical or electrical fault. If your fuel line came unhooked, you likely wouldnt have a car right now, and it certainly wouldnt be leaking out of the exhaust.

Whatever you do, make sure you take it to an independant shop after, and have them run a compression and leakdown test on one side of the engine Vs. the other. Also, inspect cylinder walls for scoring or the cross-hatch wearing through. The effects of cylinder wall washdown can ruin an engine altogether or produce extreme wear quickly. This is the kind of thing that a warranty company would likely try and sweep under the carpet if its "good enough" to get you through your warranty. Take no chances here! 500 bucks now is better than 15,000+ in 3 years!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stuck Open Fuel Injector, either mechanical or electrical fault. If your fuel line came unhooked, you likely wouldnt have a car right now, and it certainly wouldnt be leaking out of the exhaust.

Whatever you do, make sure you take it to an independant shop after, and have them run a compression and leakdown test on one side of the engine Vs. the other. Also, inspect cylinder walls for scoring or the cross-hatch wearing through. The effects of cylinder wall washdown can ruin an engine altogether or produce extreme wear quickly. This is the kind of thing that a warranty company would likely try and sweep under the carpet if its "good enough" to get you through your warranty. Take no chances here! 500 bucks now is better than 15,000+ in 3 years!

I think it's a bit of a stretch to think a Dodge dealer would lie about something like this. They are not a "warranty company". What is their motivation to lie?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would listen to post #20 and a couple others and take it to get inspected by an independent dealer. Best case is that your dealership was correct, worst case, your dealer was wrong and as stated, you have a 15+ plus bill in 3 years.

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dealer has told me twice that it was a simple connector issue and I have no reason to doubt this. Car runs great and the same before an after.

The fix took a very short time once they got under the car to fix the connector.

While I appreciate the insights, at this time I do not plan to tear into the motor or perform compression or leakdown or other tests.

As noted above, CAAP did follow up with me by private message. I was impressed and appreciated the effort. :usa:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think it's a bit of a stretch to think a Dodge dealer would lie about something like this. They are not a "warranty company". What is their motivation to lie?

haha, you obviously dont have as much experience with car dealers as I do. :rolaugh:

First of all, note that I said "this kind of thing", it wont necessarily happen in all cases in the first place, nor would all dealers out there try and do such a thing. Tators or Woodhouse? You would hardly have an issue. Another dealer who doesnt want to deal with it in the first place? see below.

Second, Do you realize how much a dealer gets boned by chrysler doing warranty work? for jobs like that, the dealer ends up losing money in many cases if the job doesnt go perfectly. The book time for warranty repairs is usally ridiculous.

Third, Chrysler has to approve warranty claims. It is highly unlikely that they will fix an engine that isnt actually "broken" yet if they think they can get it through the warranty period without a problem.

Fourth, linked to number 3, last I heard, Cerberus has sold off warranty issues to a third party, so you better believe they are going to be even more tight-assed about something in this regard. Cerberus is about making a buck, not helping out the customer in any way, shape, or form.

Enough reasons? Again, this is not to say there is or will be an issue- but the ONLY way to know for sure is to get an independant or a dealer who *IS* trustworthy to take a look. Otherwise, it is not only unlikely they will tell you about it- but its unlikely they would even check in the first place.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Dealer has told me twice that it was a simple connector issue and I have no reason to doubt this. Car runs great and the same before an after.

The fix took a very short time once they got under the car to fix the connector.

While I appreciate the insights, at this time I do not plan to tear into the motor or perform compression or leakdown or other tests.

As noted above, CAAP did follow up with me by private message. I was impressed and appreciated the effort. :usa:

Regardless of it being a simple connector issue, you still had fuel being dumped into the cylinders if it was coming out the exhaust, whether it was from a misfire or from static open injectors. This is called cylinder wall washdown. It removes the oil from the cylinder walls, and the cylinder effectively runs with no lubrication. The simplicity of the problem does not prevent the complexity of the result.

This engine is the posterchild for cylinder wall washdown, notice the scoring and lack of cross-hatch. Every single ring in this engine was shot:

1380d1211434321-dead-08-snake-middle-road-pict0029.jpg

Check it. You may thank me later, or at a minimum, confirm there was no damage.

Attachments

• PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear it was fixed with no other problems. Now after the car warms up and there's clear space, get on the gas a fair amount to get those rings to seal up nice under pressure. The hard break in, in my view once warmed up gives you a stronger running enine then the ever popular easy break in the manufacture preaches.
Quick edit... listen to VS's advice, having fuel dumped in there with the engine still running, even for a short time is worth being looked into for sure as a precaution.
Enjoy the car otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, you obviously dont have as much experience with car dealers as I do. :rolaugh:

First of all, note that I said "this kind of thing", it wont necessarily happen in all cases in the first place, nor would all dealers out there try and do such a thing. Tators or Woodhouse? You would hardly have an issue. Another dealer who doesnt want to deal with it in the first place? see below.

Second, Do you realize how much a dealer gets boned by chrysler doing warranty work? for jobs like that, the dealer ends up losing money in many cases if the job doesnt go perfectly. The book time for warranty repairs is usally ridiculous.

Third, Chrysler has to approve warranty claims. It is highly unlikely that they will fix an engine that isnt actually "broken" yet if they think they can get it through the warranty period without a problem.

Fourth, linked to number 3, last I heard, Cerberus has sold off warranty issues to a third party, so you better believe they are going to be even more tight-assed about something in this regard. Cerberus is about making a buck, not helping out the customer in any way, shape, or form.

Enough reasons? Again, this is not to say there is or will be an issue- but the ONLY way to know for sure is to get an independant or a dealer who *IS* trustworthy to take a look. Otherwise, it is not only unlikely they will tell you about it- but its unlikely they would even check in the first place.

Ahh...I believe the gas fell on the ground from the bad fitting and was not blown through the exhaust on that side. The gas just landed in that area. When the car was flat--bedded back to the Dealer on Saturday the Viper Tech was still there, and he said he knew exactly what it was--that a connection near the rear wheel but inboard came out (fuel line; fuel pump; gas tank; etc.). He was going to fix it then and there but it was quitting time and he needed to get under the car to fix the connection.

The car ran perfectly and the same before and after.

The car now has 475mi. on it and I have started to open it up and I have not noticed any weaknesses, etc.

To put an end to this madness and these posts I will take your email (without your name to protect you should you ever need service at any dealer anywhere!!) to the Dealer. FYI, I am giving these guys a ton of non-warranty work and have referred them a buyer. They also got a smoking deal on my trade. They wash and wax the Viper, give me a loaner car when I need one, etc. I very seriously doubt they are trying to "bone me" or shirk any warranty responsibilities. I negotiate with people and put business deals together for a living and usually get a good feel for people who are likely to "bone me." This is also the latest of many sports cars, including cars that I lightly tracked in HPDEs.

Nevertheless, I thank you very much for your insight and expertise and I will once again ask the dealer (3rd time). :usa:

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, triple-confirmed with dealer that no gas blew out from exhaust. The gas was below the exhaust because a fuel line connector failed. It was a quick fix and everything appears to be great!

Thank you again for your effort and expertise--it is always good to be careful!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude