Dead battery-2000 GTS

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys and gals, I am new to this Gen2 Viper thing so I have a question. (yes I did a search for "dead battery" but nothing came up that was useful)
I am having some work done to my Gen2 :eek: and during the process of having this work done the battery died. The doors locked shut and the only way to get into the car was through the rear hatch and then open the doors with the little handle thingy.
It was not explained to me the proper procedures as to replacing the battery, getting the doors to unlock and more importantly getting the car to start, so that is my question in case this ever happens again. What do I have to do if this happens when the car is in my garage? Thanx! :D

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My battery died a month or two back from me leaving the back hatch open enough so the hatch light stayed on. I did the same thing to get inside the car. I went to advance auto parts, bought a new battery, installed it, and everything started up just fine.

Two weeks prior to this I actually charged the battery back up, but this time I was heading out on a weekend trip and wanted instant gratification from installing a new battery.

To replace the battery, remove the drivers side rear wheel. Remove the black plastic panel located on the right side of the inner liner. The battery sits back there. Fun way to change a battery eh?

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reset Alarm by pressing & holding lock,unlock button at the same time. After about 4-5 seconds the horn will beep & the alarm is now reset.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know where the battery is and how to get at it, my main concern was once I put in a new battery will the doors unlock automatically? Will the alarm reset automatically? What happens to the PCM? Those are the questions that I have. I now know how to reset the alarm, thanx Andy!

AlvaSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done it.
The doors unlock and the car starts right away.
No problem at all.....

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The absence of information is not always indicative of an absence of information. Your post made it sound like you did not know how to change the battery. Regardless of semantics; after the battery is changed/jumped/charged your car should come right back to life with no need to reprogram the fobs.

YMMV

:2tu:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The absence of information is not always indicative of an absence of information. Your post made it sound like you did not know how to change the battery. Regardless of semantics; after the battery is changed/jumped/charged your car will come right back to life with no need to reprogram the fobs.
:2tu:

After I changed my battery my fob's did not need to be reprogrammed but did need to be reset as indicated above.

rory97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My fobs didn't need to be reset. I wonder if it has something to do with whether the alarm was on or off when the battery went dead?

Your pcm will be reset so the engine will likely run a little rougher than ussual the first time you start it.

You might want to make sure your battery is really dead before you replace it. If you were having work done there's a good chance someone left a door ajar or an accessory on. My battery drained when I forgot to turn the map lights off and then covered the car for a week. It was so drained that a 12 volt charger wouldn't charge it (most chargers have safety circuitry that requires a minimum amount of juice to insure proper polarity). I put mine on a 6 volt charger for a few hours and then was able to charge it with the 12 volt charger. Good as new now.

OP
OP
I

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies guys. Sorry if I made it seem like I didn't know where the battery was. I have heard so many stories about people having problems when their batteries have died that I wanted to cover my bases if it happens again.
BTW, the battery that was replaced was the factory original! A little bit of dirt on it but other than that it looks brand new. I am holding on to it so I can say that I have the original battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960