Dealer gave me the wrong fluid???

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I specifically told the dealer that I needed fluid for the tranny. They gave me the same fluid that is used for the rear end, Synthetic Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-140.

The manual specifies Dexron III.

Did the dealer screw up? Will using the rear gear fluid in the tranny screw up either of my Vipers? 97 and 98.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would NOT drive car any further...use Dexron III if that's what is in your owner's manual (some techs have moved to DexronIV). Tech should be able to confirm what YOUR Viper needs from a plate on tranny. Others are also using Castrol Syntorq...the "factory fill"for 99-01. INTERESTING NOTE: my service manuals for 99 and 01 says "Dexron III" but OWNER"S MANUAL says "Castrol Syntorq" as does plate on tranny (this is 75w/85). Others may add more, but I would haul that baby back on a flatbed at dealer's expense!!!

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve-Indy:
haul that baby back on a flatbed at dealer's expense!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to do that since I'm changing the fluid myself. I drained the fluid then reached for the fluid the dealer sold me and I knew something wasn't right. Looks like I'll be back to the dealer tomorrow for the right stuff.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
I specifically told the dealer that I needed fluid for the tranny. They gave me the same fluid that is used for the rear end, Synthetic Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-140.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SHEESH.........

Good Customer Chuck----

I specifically forgave you for buying the correct fluids elsewhere, but now you have to forgive yourself !
"No Sale Too Small To Get Right."

--DO NOT USE 75W-140 Axle Lube in the TRANS!

Wheres the trans carries a Dex-III label and the OE service manual specifies the same, in a running change in 1998 Viper went to Castrol SynTorq (rebadged as Mopar 75W85) for the trans.
You may indeed use DEX-III or 75W85 (recommeded)

-Full SynTorq Trans refill $75 from PartsRack
-Full Rear Diff refill+additive $49 from PartsRack
-Getting the right fluids and sleeping: PRICELESS !

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just came from the dealer and they are indeed using the rear axle fluid in the tranny. The Viper Tech said there was a TSB on the neutral gear rattle (of course we all know about that) and he was using the 75W-140 in all the Viper trannys he serviced. We looked up the TSB, wrote down the part # and went to the parts dept to see what it was. Just as I suspected, it was not 75W-140, it is 75W-85 at $21/quart. However to save $$$ you can still use Dexron III at $8/gal.

This is a big reason why I do as much of my own servicing as possible.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Chuck,

That's a helluva way to get rid of NGR
smile.gif

If the Viper tech at that dealership was using heavy weight oil in the trans, those Vipers are going to shift slow and probably wear out the synchros sooner. One of the design considerations on the trannys is fluid viscosity. It makes a difference on how long it takes the synchros and forks to move. That dealership may want to check their records and replace the fluid in those cars befor premature damage occurs.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you spell BFU! Now I know why I can't find much history on some cars by running the VIN at a dealer. Like Chuck said, we service our own!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
The Viper Tech said there was a TSB on the neutral gear rattle (of course we all know about that) and he was using the 75W-140 in all the Viper trannys he serviced. We looked up the TSB, wrote down the part # and went to the parts dept to see what it was. Just as I suspected, it was not 75W-140, it is 75W-85

This is a big reason why I do as much of my own servicing as possible.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>