Decel popping, SCT Tuner??

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 05 with a Paxton. When I was N/A headers, exhaust etc, I had some popping on decel, it definately was more apparent over stock from when I had stock exhaust and cats. Anyways, I ended up with a DC program and it seemed better. Well now I have a new tune on my extra computer and it runs strong with Paxton, but I have alot of decel pop. At first I didnt mind it, but its getting more bothersome, anytime coasting or let off gas it pops alot. They guys who tuned my car couldnt get it out.

So I was thinking of trying a SCT tune. I have a extra stock computer. I could do a SCT flash and can I work with a tuner to get rid of all the decel pop. Anyone have experience yet with reflashing and adding new programs from their SCT.

Also, second question. I have M & M headers, very similar to the Bellangers. There are no cats and then it runs into my Corsa. Im starting to get earaches more often.lol I was thinking of adding cats. I may be forced to weld in with the type of setup I have. At one point I thought about getting the Bellanger cat back and I think it would mate up with my headers. But I like Corsa as it doesnt drone in my opinion. I have heard the Bellanegr system even with cats drones. Is this true?
Any feedback or thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I installed the SCT tune (high octane tune) and I have alot more popping on decel.
Stock car with corsa exhaust and filters.
So I would have to say that the sct tune gave me 75% more popping on decel:dunno:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike

Mine pops a big bunch too, this after getting it tuned recently up to 694RWHP and 640 on the torque. Watching my a/f gauge it most pronounces itself when I get it off it as you are, and even more so coasting down the mountain I live on when it goes full lean with no throttle, although I think it helps scare away the deer. They like to jump accross hoods here don't you know. Anyway at first it sounded cool but is bothersome. One thing I have noticed it is worst on warmer days. I think it might be something we have to live with, under boost the a/f is good and the car is strong, but when you let off, pop pop pop pop......I have R/T high flow cats also, so don't think that will help you. I was hoping removing my cats would help but it doesn't sound as though it will after reading your post. We need ear plugs I guess.........or turn the radio up, and roll up the windows and turn the AC on.

Reaction score
The guys at DC Performance can probably help with this, I have had request from my customers at times during S/C installs and the reflash has helped a bunch but never really eliminated all the way.

Give Dan a call and he will explain,

Mark

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that the pop is excess fuel being ignited on decel. With a supercharger and the richer fuel environment required with boost, there is more fuel to pop on decel. It is also my understanding that there is no way to shut the injectors down fast enough on decel to completely eliminate the popping. I had it with my 1999 GTS with a Roe 8 pound system and I have it with my Paxton SRTC. Maybe I am old school but I love the sound. When I come home at night, as I turn into my street, I put the car in neutral and coast home to save my neighbors from the decel popping. It is incredible how far the car coasts with minimal loss of speed.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm with Rocket62, I love the popping:2tu:...I just wish there were flames out the exhaust with each one...:omg::drive:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though I have a GenII, we used the Vec3 to shut down the injectors on decel and eliminated 80% of the popping. I still get some here and there but I actually like it. If the Vec3 can help eliminate some of the popping then I'm sure the SCT can help too. FYI.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though I have a GenII, we used the Vec3 to shut down the injectors on decel and eliminated 80% of the popping. I still get some here and there but I actually like it. If the Vec3 can help eliminate some of the popping then I'm sure the SCT can help too. FYI.

I have a VEC 3 running my fuel system on my Paxton car. Tuner couldn't get rid of it without compromising power. I'll live with the popping.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have S/C, but when I installed AutoLite Plugs, the popping decreased significantly. When I installed the Corsa, it came back. After that I did an SCT program and that did not make any noticable difference (in popping).

Are you using stock plugs?

Ron

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im using plugs recomended by DC for a Paxton. It didnt pop this bad when I was N/A. Sometimes I dont mind it, but lately Ive been crusing to beach on weekends. When I come home, coming down the hill, its like a 10-15 minute drive downhill with a center divider wall right next to you. Im usually in 4th just coasting and it just burbles , pops the whole way down. Doesnt sound clean at all. If this is the way it is, Id live with it. But Ive had less popping before.

ILLSMOQ has same setup as me, no cats, Paxton, corsa ,headers, etc. His doesnt pop at all and he is making good power, 694rwhp.

I love the flames out the exhaust, I get big fireballs, but I think Im going to fab in two of my stock cats and see what happens ass far as popping and sound. I do want a little quiter also. But I'll miss the fireballs. lol

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im using plugs recomended by DC for a Paxton. It didnt pop this bad when I was N/A. Sometimes I dont mind it, but lately Ive been crusing to beach on weekends. When I come home, coming down the hill, its like a 10-15 minute drive downhill with a center divider wall right next to you. Im usually in 4th just coasting and it just burbles , pops the whole way down. Doesnt sound clean at all. If this is the way it is, Id live with it. But Ive had less popping before.

ILLSMOQ has same setup as me, no cats, Paxton, corsa ,headers, etc. His doesnt pop at all and he is making good power, 694rwhp.

I love the flames out the exhaust, I get big fireballs, but I think Im going to fab in two of my stock cats and see what happens ass far as popping and sound. I do want a little quiter also. But I'll miss the fireballs. lol

So what is different on ILLSMOQ's car than yours :eater:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you are coasting anyway, just put it in neutral and you will not get any popping.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So what is different on ILLSMOQ's car than yours :eater:

Only thing different is the headers, he has Kooks, I have M&M's. Even stock, before headers mine has always popped, his never has popped, not even once. Sim gonna try the cats first and then maybe look into a retune if needed.

Though now he has a different pully and dampner, none of these difference will make a difference in popping. Just got him a little more power then me. I really think its in the tune/ computer.

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have one set of cats removed w/ race mufflers... I get a fair amount of pop....just enuff !! I have a great sound also...Alot throatier than alot of aftermarket systems...

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 05 with a Paxton. When I was N/A headers, exhaust etc, I had some popping on decel,

Popping and gurgling is a huge problem...as in how to get more of it.

When you read any of the mag reviews of the Viper, the authors fall into one of two categories, the Oooouch-I-buuuuurned-my-leeeeeg-whiners or bad-***-popping-and-gurgle-lovers.

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, my '06 Paxton Copperhead pops often during decel. I have Corsa cats and the car was tuned by A.R.T in Texas.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just installed my DC sct tune yesterday and notice much more popping.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little popping is fine but Mike's car pops a lot...it annoys me and I'm not even driving the it. The exhuast set ups we run are way to loud anyway.....we are killing our ears.....but with our power levels so close we are playing a game of who is gonna restrict their exhaust system first looks like Mikey has just about had it:D:drive:

My car has never popped. Mike's car has been popping since day one. I've had a few different tunes in mine and many different exhausts and it has never popped. I wonder what causes the popping or lack of popping.

I want mine to be quieter too but anything you run is going to drone unless it's a corsa or has a cross over. You forget I put cats back into mine a few times.....they did not eliminate the drone of the other systems I tried. Vortex cones wont do it either. I was in a bellanger equipped car...it droned. Try the cats or maybe even try a short muffler in front of the corsa....I never tried that one.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are coasting anyway, just put it in neutral and you will not get any popping.

Not really an option when you are running hard through the back roads.....you need engine braking....and his car pops like crazy on deceleration.

dans69ss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the supercharged cars set up to run rich, therefor "pop" because of the unburned fuel in the exhaust? I would be more concerned if the car was running lean and was not popping.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't the supercharged cars set up to run rich, therefor "pop" because of the unburned fuel in the exhaust? I would be more concerned if the car was running lean and was not popping.

Yes. Good point.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mine runs very rich....yet no popping. It's got to be somewhere in the tune. Maybe the injectors are set to let less fuel out on decell? I wish I understood the tuning process better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My car is tuned and runs mid to high 11's a/f on average day, warmer out and it drops to low 11's, when its cold , crisp air ,it hits 12.0-12.4's at near redline.
Its not a rich condition, as I lift throttle, the a/f guage runs up 15.0, 16.0 to dotted lines as it leans out as I lift. Either way, the car runs strong, very quick and tuned. Its just been more noticeable since the Paxton. It seems to be the same with alot of others here. Ill let ya know what happens when I put cats back in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson