Delete cats or high-flow cats?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I live in Florida, so there is no emission testing at all...

I already have a Corsa catback, and with the hot summer coming up, I want to get rid of those HOT cats. Should I remove them altogether, or go with high-flows? How much louder is no cats? And I understand that if I remove the cats that I need a simulator wire thing...where should I get that? Is removing the cats something that any halfway decent muffler shop can do, and weld in a piece of pipe in its place?

Thanks in advance.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa with no cats is LOUD! Removing the cats isn't hard, but some muffler shops won't do it b/c it is suppose to be illegal.

good luck!

JD

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get rid of them. I have the o2 simulators that you would need. They have less than 50 miles on them. I changed computers and I don't need them any more. My car is much cooler now. I don't know if I gained any HP but I like the sound alot better and I am running a modified Borla Exhaust. It has a crosover in the rear. Let me know if you want the o2 sims. I think they cost about $130 from Roe Racing new.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much do you want for them, include shipping to the 32216 zip code (Jacksonville, Florida). They only weigh like a couple ounces right?

And how do I hook them up? Do they just plug in somehow, or do I need to tap into some wiring harness or something along those lines?

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, how much do the stock cats weigh approximately?

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Too loud without the cats. Smells also. Just a guess but stock cats 15#'s each. random techs about 5#. I cut the factory cats off at the weld from pipe. the random techs 2.5" slip on, then get a regular 2.5" pipe flared at one end to slide on the exit of cat. This will go right into the corsa. With this setup it will be louder than factory cats, but much better than cat delete.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the highflows will it still get hot inside the car? That's my main reason that I am cosidering removing them. If it is still going to be just as hot inside the cabin, then I will yank 'em.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love mine without the cats, and love the sound. Side sill heat is no longer an issue AT ALL.

FYI - I bought my exhaust used from someone on this forum last year who didnt like the setup because of the "smell". After close examination of all the parts, we found that a large number of the exhaust joints were not welded properly, (black sooty deposits found at numerous seams), and the exhaust gases were leaking at these joints from the front of the car to the back.

We took our time taking it all apart and putting it back together numerous times, and eventually ended up with seams welded all the way around - not just on the bottom and sides. Now the exhaust gases go out the back like they are suppose to, and I can not smell a thing even sitting idling at stop lights for long periods.

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i deleted my cats having the stock exhaust. i loved it, until the Belanger cat back was put on. The car was just too load, and more than anything, the drone inside the cabin was unbearable. One of the members here recommended to add a set of Moroso mufflers. Man, best advice i was ever given! The drone is all gone, its just a tad quieter, and the noise related headaches are all gone!!

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lose the cats. Your car will run a lot cooler around the side sills and within the interior. It will also sound much better.... like a real muscle car!

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the full Corsa exahaust with 3" in/out Random Tech cats currently. I ran no cats with the same Corsa exhaust for a year. I honestly can not tell any difference in the volume or tone of the exhaust sound. It has always been hot in the cab, so I can't tell that it was any cooler running no cats versus aftermarket cats. Both ways it is very LOUD at WOT, just the way I like it :D . My muffler person (1/4 mile drag racer) said that he could not tell any difference in sound either.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can't smell any worse than the old cars that have never had cats. Me thinks the smell thing is overly subjective.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I deleted my cats, with Corsa cat back, not for noise or horsepower (no difference), just for less heat in the side sills and I feel that I have met that objective. To me it seems like there is a noticeable difference in side sill temps. In Ohio, just apply for collector car status and no smog tests required

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried cats, no cats, and hi flow cats. I can give you first-hand opinion on all three :)

Hi-flows are still hot inside cabin. Better, but still hot. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being hottest for cabin temp, regular cats are a 10, hi-flows are a 6, and no cats is a 1.

I thought that no cats smelled at first, too, but upon closer inspection I found holes in the weld. Once those were taken care of, no smell (except for at stoplights... then, there is a slight smell).

The sound is better on my Corsa/no cats setup. Not too loud in my opinion. J Dell's Corsa/no cats setup sounded much louder, but it's probably because his is modified (headers, supercharger, etc.). Mine is nowhere near as loud :)

mopar75110

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take those cats off and give them to the garbage man!! I removed them and the stock mufflers on my 94 and installed Borlas. It's much louder, (I like it loud), but runs much cooler--both engine temp and side sill temp. I don't understand all the complaints about smell---mine has no objectionable smell!!

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So removing the cats reduces ENGINE temps too? Oh hell yeah, those things are coming off!!!

mopar75110

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't say how restrictive the cats are on your 2000 model, but on my 94 side pipe car they were very restrictive which produced a lot of back pressure, hence the engine heat.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoops, sorry about that JD! I saw your post about Corsa's above, and got confused.

I've had the Borla AND Corsa, both without cats. I think the Borlas are deeper, but certainly not louder, than the Corsa... then again, my cars were otherwise stock :)

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put a set of Corsa's catback system with Random Tech high flow cats on my 2002 RT/10. Definately a improvement over the stock exhaust, Not too loud an no interior drone. Purchased the whole setup through Partsrack. Nice People.

OP
OP
A

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was talking about this quote..

"It's much louder, (I like it loud), but runs much cooler--both engine temp and side sill temp. "

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Virginia, we can remove the mufflers, but if we remove the cats we will fail state inspection, or possibly get in trouble with the state police,that is, if he pulls you for excessive loud exchaust, and suspects modification to the exchaust system.. :(

But even if I was to be a rebel about it and remove the cats, would you use some kind of simulator to trick the computer??? do not how many 02 sensors are on the factory gen2 Exchaust system...

Thanks,Rick