Denied warranty service on Viper

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called the *only* "5 Star" dealership in the East Bay area (near SF) to schedule an appointment to have a leaking/defective battery replaced under warranty.

Butler Conti Dodge in Lafayette, CA just told me that the service manager will not allow them to work on any Viper not sold there, even though they have a certified Viper technician.

Is this legal? How can I get warranty work done? I purchased the Viper from Woodhouse Dodge...do I have to go to Nebraska for service?

Can anyone recommend a GOOD place for warranty Viper service in the Bay Area?

I've had bad experiences with both Smith Dodge and Negherbon Dodge (who don't seem to be 5-star certified.) I've also been warned away from Stevens Creek Dodge.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a bunch of pathetic ingrates! Stories like this really make me wonder why Dodge has dealerships that represents them (Dodge) in this manner..

Gerald

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stevens Creek Dodge is your best choice in the south bay. They have serviced many of the VCA members cars. The do treat you well and they will replace your battery under warrantee. If you call and ask if they can do this while you wait because of the distance you must travel, I'll bet they will take care of you.
All dealerships have things go wrong on occasion same as a hospital. I still think it's your best bet.
Good Luck,
Dan

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
silverviper.....It is my understanding that you are free to take your car, under warranty, to any dealer (provided in this case, they have a Viper Tech on board) for warranty service. It doesn't matter where you bought the car. With the Viper, the question becomes where do you WANT to take it to get the level of service and customer satisfaction desired. Great reason to ask here on the board for member suggestions and experiences with different techs and dealerships. I'm sure there's one out there that would be more than happy to take care of you. pete the ex-g-g

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhapsthe right thing to do is to get a number of a District Manager and then call the dealership again. SPeak to he service manager and ask again about Viper service. If he says the same thing, ask him if he minds if you conference in the District Manager and let him repeat that. Or better yet, already have the district guy on the phone when you ask.

I am sorry, but that attitude is completely uncalled for. It is totally against D-C's intent (and every other car company for that matter) as I bet it it spelled out in your warranty booklet. Heck, sometimes people even MOVE!!!

I would make it my personal mission to get this dealer to admit this to someone that can truly mess with their livelihood - i.e. the Zone / District Rep.

OK, done with the rant. But you may want to contact your local VCA President and ask for recommended dealers / Viper Techs. Usually we can steer you in the right direction.

OP
OP
silverviper

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure it would be helpful to force them into a corner to get the work done on the car. Last thing I want is someone ********** and left alone with my viper and power tools....

It's just really frustrating to again see this kind of response from Dodge. I've had similar bad experiences in the past (technician unable to find latch to open hood, etc...)

Stevens Creek seems to have the best reputation in general, despite the recent warning, so I guess I'll go there. It's a shame to have to drive an hour when there are 4-5 Dodge dealerships closer to home.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOPS - sorry - in my rant, I would not end up taking it there for service (obviously) but I'd still like to see them reprimanded...

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can go to Dublin Dodge...Thats not too far from you!

Although I have had some shabby "non-viper" experiences with that dealership in the past, they have a great Viper Tech (John) and a new and very focused Service Manager (Keith)..

Give them a try, and tell them the Viper nation referred you..

As an example, couple months ago we had an informal Viper meeting in Danville at a local restaurant...We had ~ 10 cars. Both John and Keith from Dublin Dodge took time to come out on a Friday night and spend some time with us. For those who did not know them, they wanted to introduce themselves and show their commitment to the mighty Viper...

They are also doing a GREAT job on the recalls.

Call me if you want any more details. 925-223-3012.

Tomer

OP
OP
silverviper

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomer, thank you for the reference to Dublin Dodge, I think I'll try them!

Otherwise, how would I find the District Manager? A quick internet search didn't get me a name or phone number, and I couldn't find anything like this on the Dodge/DC websites. I did send a comment to the Customer Assistance center, but I'd like to make sure the right person hears about it.

Thanks again, I knew ya'll would be helpful.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll just throw another pitch in for Dublin Dodge...

John does great work and is very detail oriented!

I am totally pumped about the quality work done on my recall...

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver Viper,

You are not the first to have experienced this at Butler-Conti Dodge. About 2 years ago, I had recently moved back to the Bay Area and was staying temporarily in an apartment located less than a mile from that dealership. I went there to try to get a simple oil change and I got the same response. If I did not buy the Viper there then they would not accept the car. I complained about this on this board and was told that the marketing guys at Dodge would get involved. At the time I was also shopping for a Dodge truck to use as my tow vehicle. I was so appalled at this behavior from a 5 star Dodge dealership and the fact that they are getting away with it. I seriously thought about not buying another Dodge product if their dealership organization would not support their existing customers, especially those that bought their flagship model - the Viper.

Good news is that Dublin Dodge (also a 5 star dealer) with Keith (service mgr) and John (viper tech) are great and will help you out. I hope that Dodge undestands how important this is and rewards Dublin Dodge and punishes Butler-Conti who I believe still has their 5 star dealership rating.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the owner and manager probably know all about rejecting Vipers for warranty service. Think about it from the standpoint of a regular, ordinary dealer. Very expensive cars that their techs may not be very experienced with, picky owners who will probably notice any flaws in the service work, a probable expensive repair if the car should get scratched. These dealers are just not ready to take on the possible hassle and expense that may come with Viper repair. They want to work on cars, trucks and vans for ordinary people who just want the work done quick, the Jiffy Lube set.
Notice that there probably isn't a site where mini van owners post all their tales of poor service.
It's not right but I can see why they might do it.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is absurd!!
pissed.gif
I would do like Janni said and get them to admit they were wrong - then take my Viper somewhere else!!

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with Janni, but I still think I would find another dealer to work on your car. I would hate to have a mad dealer pounding away on my car.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Check with the local club and see what they have to say.

Also I wouldn't be so hung up on the 5-star thing either. Its just a flashy sales pitch. There is a dealership down the road from me that is neither high volume, five-star, or on the Viper delevery list, but they have a ViperTech there that strikes me as both competent and honest.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This dealers attitude is a throw back to the way some dealers treated people who wanted service but did not buy the car from that dealer. It was an obvious attempt to force customers to buy from that dealer. Some of Dodge,s Dealers are still lost in the 50,s! By spotlighting these dealers we can now avoid them. The negative publicity will most likely be spread around and the dealer will ultimately lose some buisness because of it.
As to Viper Techs I caution that some dealers may have a so called Viper Tech on staff but I found out that some of these dealers are not sending the techs for required training updates. I have been told, correct me if I am wrong, that to maintain the status of having a qualified Viper Tech on staff the dealer must send the Tech to required training updates. I found one dealer who, after sending the Tech to the first training seminar for the initial qualification, refused to send him again because he was needed at the service dept. Apparently Dodge does not monitor this closely because the dealreship continued to sell Vipers even though his Tech was way behind in required training!

OP
OP
silverviper

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe117, I had the same feeling once I thought about it. Some dealers just might not think the "prestige" of having Vipers around is worth the hassle. Flagship cars like the Viper are always good for dealerships to attract and excite customers, even the mini-van buying types, but if he's worried about his mech staff not being competent to handle it...makes sense.

Does anyone know a way to ascertain how "current" a Viper tech's training is? I guess the best is always to get to know the guy, but that does take time.

Anyway, I'm going to Dublin Dodge for this easy battery swap, and if they're good they'll get my warranty business in the future.

If I have the energy and can find them, I may still try to follow up with the owner and district/zone manager.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't own a Dodge dealership, but I do own a dealership that involves the sale of very high priced ticket idems (from $1500.00 to $375,000.00).
I personally think any dealership that does warranty work on any product would be very foolish not to perform the work. It's PROFITABLE!!
The manufacturer pays the dealership to preform the work. In my dealership I couldn't give a rats *ss where the customer buys the product, I'll do the work!
The only exceptions would be if the work conflicts with looking after a customer that did in fact buy something from my dealership or if the customer is totally unreasonable (ejector seat).
As for Joe117, I'm not disagreeing with you, but price is no excuse as to how a dealership treats you car or equip or whatever. Just because the average Joe (no pun intended) can't afford a Viper, doesn't mean he/she isn't as fussy. Besides just because I spend only $9,000.00 on say a new Hyundai doesn't mean I wouldn't be pissed if some sloppy tech slimed up my seats with grease. I've seen very picky people in all income brackets.
The cost of a customers car should not dictate the degree in the dealerships staff professionalism.
In closing, I think the dealership in question either is poorly managed (not profit oriented) or they have so much work and or money they don't need you business.
Pretty sad in either case.
Just my $.02
TJ

OP
OP
silverviper

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy ending: Paul the Servicewriter and John the Vipertech at Dublin Dodge provided excellent service. I would recommend them strongly to anyone in the area.

Thanks for all the advice.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many times they deny service because they don't think they can do it. They also may have gotten burned on another similar type situation and just don't need the grief.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4