Designing the composite hood

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question... are the tires made out of recycled bazooka Gum ?
I wish. Bazooka Gum from under the average school desk or theater seat would have lasted longer than the Badyears that came on my C6 base coupe. Then there's the Z06/07 with PSCs made of what looks like a Silly Putty/Play-Doh alloy and will wrap you around a tree if you hit a puddle 0.01" deep.

That's what is being posted on the corvette forums....
No, those guys are busy asking tall Bowling Green residents to look over the fence into the parking lot behind the factory to see if any new C7s have been built in the five minutes since the last thread asking the same question started.

Also they are arguing about whether the C7's differential and transmission radiators have cooling fans. More precisely, this went on for a page and a half of theoretical arguments about why you need/don't need fans for diffs and trannys and therefore the C7 must/must not have them, you dolt. Then after somebody posted pictures of the cooling fans, there were four more pages of arguments about who was stupider and more immature.

I am not making this up. If you wonder what my position on the issue was, I'm the one who linked to the Hedstrom/K-Flex clip from Finding Nemo.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish. Bazooka Gum from under the average school desk or theater seat would have lasted longer than the Badyears that came on my C6 base coupe. Then there's the Z06/07 with PSCs made of what looks like a Silly Putty/Play-Doh alloy and will wrap you around a tree if you hit a puddle 0.01" deep.

No, those guys are busy asking tall Bowling Green residents to look over the fence into the parking lot behind the factory to see if any new C7s have been built in the five minutes since the last thread asking the same question started.

Also they are arguing about whether the C7's differential and transmission radiators have cooling fans. More precisely, this went on for a page and a half of theoretical arguments about why you need/don't need fans for diffs and trannys and therefore the C7 must/must not have them, you dolt. Then after somebody posted pictures of the cooling fans, there were four more pages of arguments about who was stupider and more immature.

I am not making this up. If you wonder what my position on the issue was, I'm the one who linked to the Hedstrom/K-Flex clip from Finding Nemo.

WOW, it looks like there is more action over there on the Corvette Forum...hummm...may be I need to visit over there... it getting boring here on the VCA

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick note to set the record straight on this.

In the industry "Carbon Fiber" is almost always an interchangeable term with "CFRP" (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic or Polymer). It is indeed the same thing. Also sometimes refered to as "graphite", carbon fiber in its raw form is very strong in tension (like pulling on a rope) but is very week in compression (like pushing on a rope). CFRP takes the raw dry fiber and makes it strong in compression. The Viper uses some of the highest quality pre-preg carbon fiber available. We use various types of pre-preg carbon fiber depending on the area of the part. Woven carbon fiber is used on the inner panel to distribute the material properties and for a nice decorative finish. Unidirectional fiber is used on the outer skin because it will not 'read-out' the pattern like the weave will. Aerospace does the same thing. Sometimes carbon is woven, and sometimes it is countinuous or uni-directional.

Just want to put a stop to any rumors that your Gen-V Vipers are not built with the genuine carbon fiber!!

+1

Ill never forget being at the G5 unveiling in NYC and looking at the raw hoods up close that were mounted on the wall like fine art. There was a guy standing next to one and after me and someone were starring at it with our jaws on the floor for a bit he asked us if we had and questions. I asked, How do you think they were able to make it so thin? My GTS hood is 4 times as thick... He responded with the outer skin/shell was able to stay very thin due to the design of the structure undernieth that it is bonded to.Then he enthusiastically went on and on about the entire process. As an engineer & enthusiast i was amazed, enlightened, and totally Stoked that SRT was able to swing this on our new Viper. Then i asked the guy how he new so much. His responce was; Im the president of the company that makes it. Wow. Caught me off guard with that one. Lol. That guy was proud of his ****. And rightfully so IMO. Very nice guy and im glad he took the time to come up to our big party and meet everyone. Certainly an asset to the Viper family. Glad SRT made the connection.

The last.thing i asked him was, Any chance you'd be able to make replacement hoods for the Gen1&2??? :)