2013 Viper - no lock/unlock with buttons or FOB

locogato11283

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, I just acquired a 2013 Viper. So far so good, except the lock/unlock buttons on the door panel don't work. The fob does not lock/unlock either. The fob does work for the rear hatch.

I posted this on the Viper Club Facebook page, but only one person had any experience with this in that theirs is currently in the shop for the same thing.

The shop narrowed it down to the BCM. Does this sound correct? If so, can it be simply swapped out and that's all or does it need some sort of programming?

Anything else I might be overlooking? Fuse under the hood is good. I did swap to make sure and still nothing.

As a forum owner myself, I know that the more detailed answers come from forum members.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 423599997_3762002804029061_8298624478946260547_n.jpg
    423599997_3762002804029061_8298624478946260547_n.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 3

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2006 has acted up in the past too. One day the doors would not even close. The door latch would stay open and not shut no matter what I did or button I pushed. Luckily I was home and not out when it happened.

Some people have reported just disconnecting the battery and it reset the BCM. That worked for me to at least get the doors to close.

My trunk release is still finicky even after buying new batteries and trying 2 new fobs.

I would start with easy things like disconnecting the battery and see if that does the trick and resets it.

Then maybe get a new fob and if that doesn't work, then swap out the BCM.

There are some good threads on here on switching out the BCM. Doesn't seem like too daunting of a task.

Great looking Viper btw!!

OP
OP
L

locogato11283

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2006 has acted up in the past too. One day the doors would not even close. The door latch would stay open and not shut no matter what I did or button I pushed. Luckily I was home and not out when it happened.

Some people have reported just disconnecting the battery and it reset the BCM. That worked for me to at least get the doors to close.

My trunk release is still finicky even after buying new batteries and trying 2 new fobs.

I would start with easy things like disconnecting the battery and see if that does the trick and resets it.

Then maybe get a new fob and if that doesn't work, then swap out the BCM.

There are some good threads on here on switching out the BCM. Doesn't seem like too daunting of a task.

Great looking Viper btw!!
Thanks for the info. This car really needs a new battery anyway. I think I will pull this one tomorrow and grab a new one. Maybe I will get lucky and that will be it.

I don't think it's a fob issue since the fob opens the rear hatch just fine.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess the is fob. Just because 1 of the 4 buttons work doesn't mean the others will work. The lock and unlock button are the most used so not surprised those are not working.

You might be able to pull the fob apart and see if they are actually mirco push buttons and you can push the buttons and listen for a click and then see if the doors lock/unlock.

If they are the older membrane type with carbon conductor, then it becomes harder to test.

The BCM controls the lock/unlock but gets the signal from the fob receiver module not the fob directly.

ViperSaint77

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents. I too have a 2013 GTS and the issues started with my trunk and ended with my doors intermittently not locking on command. In the beginning the trunk would intermittently not open with the button, fob, or key. Then, it wouldn't open at all, even with the key. Took it to the shop some people recommended and they replaced the locking mechanism, and after poorly putting my rear bumper back on determined that the issue was the BCM as well. Only the key will open the trunk now, but not the fob or the button. Oh yeah, and all of the sudden the infamous window issues started up right after I took delivery from the shop so I get to deal with that as well.

Anyway, I keep it unlocked most of the time in my garage and don't ever leave it unattended in public, so for all I know the locking mechanism could have been an issue this whole time too. I ordered a new BCM for about $250 and am going to a trusted Dodge dealership to have it swapped out and reprogrammed. They quoted me 2hrs or about $500.

Summary: These faulty BCM's could be malfunctioning and burning out other components over time. Who knows, the window issues could be caused by the faulty BCM's that cause the window regulator to spas out and break those weak plastic guides. I think we missed out on a potential recall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala