Detachable roof Security

boz001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, have got my eye of a 1995 RT/10 with the detachable roof. I'm pretty damn keen to buy it but at the moment there's one thing holding me back. The car park at the apartment building im living at living at the moment is open onto the street. Its not a bad neighborhood but I'm still concerned about how secure the detachable roof part of it is. So can anyone out there who does/has owned one give me a general Idea of how the secure the car is if its parked outside?

1994viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in a condo, and have been parking my Gen I in underground parking for the past 3 years. So far no problems. I do however have security at the building and I installed a pager alarm on the car itself. So I sleep well.

V

Venomiss

Things can happen in any neighborhood.

Are you prepared if something or someone damages your Viper just in case?
What kind of insurance coverage do you have?

Is this a daily driver you will depend on? Or a weekend driver?
Do you live in a climate where it will be sitting in snow or hail during the winter months?
Or scorching heat in the summer?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The roof doesn't mean much on a Gen 1 if you have the stock (non-locking) windows. Would I daily park a Gen 1 where it was fully open to the public? No. As Mary said, even the best neighborhoods can have crimes. And yes, Gen 1's leak (some very very bad), so again like she said, weather conditions play a big part in how much you can enjoy a Gen 1 thats daily parked outside. Spending an hour soaking up the water in the floorboard before going on a drive would get very old.

In short, if you don't have somewhere covered and secured to park, I don't think a Gen 1 is for you. Or any Viper for that matter.

OP
OP
B

boz001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, you are correct - it'd be madness to park it on the street... but it did get me thinking, just down the street a bit there is secure storage units, so I may be a viper owner yet! watch this space...:headbang:

V

Venomiss

Thanks for the feedback, you are correct - it'd be madness to park it on the street... but it did get me thinking, just down the street a bit there is secure storage units, so I may be a viper owner yet! watch this space...:headbang:

Good luck with it and sincerely hope the dream happens for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery