Diff Leak From Front Yolk

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Differential is leaking from the the front yolk area. 99 rt/10. I took the axle shaft off and the nut that holds the yolk in place. I noticed that the shaft coming out off the diff has some play in it. Is this normal? And if so, do I only need to change the seal and bolt everything back together? Any information appreciated, thanks

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine started leaking on my RT/10 when it had 10,000 miles. The dealer just replaced the seal and it's been fine since. I think having some play in the diff is normal, but make sure you replace the spicer straps. That should help cut down on the play.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should get this fixed or regularly top off the fluid. it is not "normal" to have fluid leaking from the diff. there is a seal, as ViperJohn stated, that may have failed or been installed improperly. this is likely the cause.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you should get this fixed or regularly top off the fluid. it is not "normal" to have fluid leaking from the diff. there is a seal, as ViperJohn stated, that may have failed or been installed improperly. this is likely the cause.

I think he was asking if it was normal to have play in the shaft, not if it was normal for it to be leaking.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if he means play fore and aft, I don't believe that is normal. neither of the two VIPER diffs I just handled had such play. you may have a little when turning the yoke, but it should be tight fore and aft.

OP
OP
Q

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spicer straps? What are those and can they be changed without taking the diff out? There's only slight play in the shaft up down side to side. I should have done this over the winter, but kept putting it off till now and ofcourse I'm in a hurry now. Does anyone have a detailed diagram of the diff?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only play would be as you turn the pinion back and forth. If you have vertical or side to side play you may have a bearing problem which in turn may cause the seal to leak. The first thing I would do is make sure the pinion nut is torqued correctly.
The straps are just the driveshaft u-joint straps. Recommended to be replaced but not near as critical as the halfshaft straps. On my personal car I reuse the driveshaft straps. Clean the bolts and relocktight them though. I doubt the straps have anything to do with the seal leaking.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once the nut and the yoke (note spelling) are removed it's normal to have front/rear movement on the pinion shaft.

OP
OP
Q

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that helped me clear a few things up. These cars can cost you a lot of money, if you don't do a simple job the right way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte