Differences between 96 RT10 and newer Rt10s

mystic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
What are some of the differences between say a 96 RT10 and a newer 99+ RT10? Interior differences, exterior differences, engine differences, etc.

Is there really any reason to buy a newer RT10 over a 96 besides the fact to own a newer, more pristine viper?

Thanks
Dave

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone more knowledgeable than I will give you the precise details, however, there are a few "luxury" items like electric windows and mirrors. Most important is the 2001 start of ABS!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year of the Gen I engine, but got an increase in power from the standard 400HP to 415(not that big and better torque than a gen II). Last year of the "snap in windows", collector's item! As for the rest, the 96 had the upgraded suspension, Gen II frame(hence recall 998), exhaust out the back, better brakes. We people of the last of the Gen I R/T have the best of both worlds! Love the car,

Mike

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Mike, did you get your door fixed? Was it the window not going up and down in your car??ha! Just kidding.
tongue.gif

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '96 RT's were the first all black interior cars. Red cars trimmed with red accents and the white cars had blue accents. The seats are the narrow Gen I's in all black, not the '96 coupe seats. The cars also don't have a side muffler behind the rocker panel, '96 GTS do. The '96 RT's have, by for, the best sounding stock exhaust. NO other Viper has that sound. The '96 cars are special. Wouldn't mind having a black/silver car....dj

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96 RTs (black and white ones) were the first RTs with stripes from the factory! Also strongest frame of any viper. No air bags, no crumple zones in the frame.

The White cars have blue leather accents on the steering wheel, shifter, and emerg brake. Wilddude, what do the black cars have??

I could be wrong on this one, but the white car is the only Viper to have body coloured wheels...Keep me honest guys/gals!!

Every time I talk to JonB, he tells me more things that are unique about the 96 RTs. As mentioned, they have the aluminum suspension, same as the GTS. THis is the first year for this suspension on the RTs.

I need to compile an official list, but I procrastinate too much!

Tomer

OP
OP
M

mystic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomer:
96 RTs (black and white ones) were the first RTs with stripes from the factory! Also strongest frame of any viper. No air bags, no crumple zones in the frame.

The White cars have blue leather accents on the steering wheel, shifter, and emerg brake. Wilddude, what do the black cars have??

I could be wrong on this one, but the white car is the only Viper to have body coloured wheels...Keep me honest guys/gals!!

Every time I talk to JonB, he tells me more things that are unique about the 96 RTs. As mentioned, they have the aluminum suspension, same as the GTS. THis is the first year for this suspension on the RTs.

I need to compile an official list, but I procrastinate too much!

Tomer
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do make the list. So the 96 RT10 are slower than 96 GTS? They have 415hp compared to the 96GTS with 450?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ab
Hey Mike, did you get your door fixed? Was it the window not going up and down in your car??ha! Just kidding.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
"laugh it up fuzz ball" StarWars. Nope, no time to work on it lately, but hopefully next week. Hey Adam, when is the rescheduled drags going to happen?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomer
Wilddude, what do the black cars have??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Tom, black cars, black interiors. Fairly plain compared to the White and red 96's. Should be a grey complement, but I wasn't around to make that great suggestion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mystic
So the 96 RT10 are slower than 96 GTS? They have 415hp compared to the 96GTS with 450?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Slower, no, I don't think so. Depends on who is driving. 415(R/T) vs 450 (GTS) correct.

Mike

OP
OP
M

mystic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Slower, no, I don't think so. Depends on who is driving. 415(R/T) vs 450 (GTS) correct.

Mike

[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sure they dont perform as well as the GTS. 450 and 415 is a big difference. How do the 96 RT10 take modifications? say heads, cams, nitrous, exhaust, etc.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mystic
I'm sure they dont perform as well as the GTS. 450 and 415 is a big difference. How do the 96 RT10 take modifications? say heads, cams, nitrous, exhaust, etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The readon I say this is because I "heard"( don't really know for sure) that the torque band is more level across the entire RPM band than the Gen II. Again, I have not dynoed my car yet so I am only going from what I read here. But with performance so close, it boiles down to the driver.. I hope to find out at VOI 7.

Mike

Viper 8 R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my beautiful White RT-10 with Blue stripes @ 20k miles to buy a new Silver RT-10 because of the following:
- More HP: (450 vs. 415, stock);
- NACA-ducted hood with Louvers cools much better aand breathes better than Smoothie (Gen I) hood;
- Power Windows (= more free trunk space & more cockpit air flow, as the Lexan side curtains only slide 1/2-way open);
- '98 RT has lockable doors-(and door handles!);'96 had neither.
- Factory CD player(with automatic Volume curves!), adjustable pedal cluster, rear window defroster, and dual Airbags on the '98, vs. factory cassette, nothing, and nothing on the '96;
- Factory Warrantee on the '96 was about to expire;
- Polished, clear-coated wheels looked much better than brake-dust-stained white wheels on the '96;
- '96 Needed paint; '98 came in Viper Bright Silver Metallic with Clear Coat!!
- My Gen II RT also had better fit, finish and no rattles than my Gen I - - a testament to the 'GTS'-style influences!
......"Need I Say More?"

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper 8 R:
I sold my beautiful White RT-10 with Blue stripes @ 20k miles to buy a new Silver RT-10 because of the following: ........rear window defroster on the '98 RT ....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think so........

Dont forget the forged wheels and stronger, stiffer frame.........

Viper 8 R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pace Car Pilot -- The reference to Rear Window defrosting is TRUE! My '96 would fog (not frost), and my Gen II RT will NOT .

Anyway, Mystic, the point IS: [GenI RT]+[Upgrades] = [Gen II RT].
usa-clear-s.gif
Worth the bucks to trade up, IMHO.

R/T-10s 4EVER

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question,

On a '96 R/T is the red with yellow trim/wheels version special in some way or is it just another paint combo??

I'm just starting my search for my first Viper and I saw one of those for sale. I had never seen one before.

Thanks for any help

J

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim H - SHAME on you for leaving the "sweet 96 RT" club...

Shoot me an e-mail privately if you would, would like to discuss your sale of the 96 RT...Where on the Central Coast are you?

Over the labour Day weekend my wife and I went on down to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara...By the reception we got everywhere we went, I had the impression the good folks on the Central Coast area had never seen a Viper before!!!

Per the last post, the Red & Yellow 96 RT was a special colour combo for 96 only. The 96 RTs have special one year only colour combos/stripes/accents....There was only the Red& YEllow, Black with Silver Stripes, and the MOST favourite White with BLue Stripes offered in 96...

I must say, I don't think I can ever part with my baby, but I have occasionally thought about the possibility of installing electric windows...

Would doors from a 97 fit my 96? Could I buy some used doors and modify them...? Keeping my stockers...It does seem like a lot of work for the return...hmmmmmmmmm

Tomer

Jack

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ask myself the same question last year. I started with the intention of finding a green '95 with air. At the time it looked like I could find a clean 15-20K mile car for around $38K to $40K (today that's probably more like $35K to $38K) A gen II RT or GTS was $50K+ (under 15,000 mile). I talked to a former ZR-1 owner who traded to a Viper and one of the repair shops on the east coast. Both tried to convince me that the gen II "upgrades" were more than worth the price increase over gen I. The thing that finally did it was my wife's insistance that if we were spending that much money for a car it better have roll-up windows
laugh.gif

In defence of the gen I cars, I'd have to agree with some enthusiasts who consider them more pure to the original concept

Jack Janney
'97 blue/white RT/10

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why you guys would want a car that has no roll up windows or external door handles, that's just plain crazy.
grazy.gif

BTW mystic, they forgot to tell you that there ain't no cupholders either!
eek.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_