Differential failure prevention

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My earlier inquiry may have gotten lost in the current differential failure thread. As you read the long history and comments in the other differencial failure thread I am left with the opinion my 2004 SRT with 5000 miles is likely to have a differential failure regardless of how it is driven sooner than later. Moreover it appears it's not IF but more like WHEN it will fail. What can be done preventatively to modifiy the weak pins or whatever else is causing theses failures. Obviously Dodge is not about to take this on voluntarily.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say that there is certainly cause for some concern, however I would also venture to say that these failures are more isolated than one would be led to believe. As has been mentioned before, those with problems are FAR more likely (100%) to post than those that don't. Thus the perception could be a bit skewed, in that the problems may not be that widespread. While it certainly sounds like it is an issue, I don't think it is inevitable on every SRT-10 by a long shot. I spoke with one tuner and they said they have not had a problem with any of the SRT rear ends on the cars they have worked on - and there are a LOT of them.

While it is still a cause for concern, I can't see that it is an issue that will befall that many cars. As I furiously knock on my wooden desk top...

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a VCA poster boy once again the feedback is so much more concise and technically on point on this site versus the Corvette sites. Your response is very much appreciated.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also spoke with a well known reputable Viper tech today that sees many Vipers thru their shop, and I was also led to believe that this problem is not as widespread as one might think....and I too say this as my knuckles bleed from banging on my desk :2tu:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easiest way to prevent differential failure.....

Don't let WANTED drive your SRT! :shocked:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The answer is fairly simple, don't change gear ratios and don't add power. The stock 3.07s are pretty strong, the 3.55s are not. If you have a 2003, don't power shift. You must change the 2003's diff pin to a harder one. The 2004 is better, but not much. Change your fluid regularly. As soon as you can afford it, change your diff to a Quaife. The hydro-lok in the stock diff is very, very weak and will likely fail if the car is driven aggressively.

Good luck,

Dan

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HA HA HA JOHNBOY :D

I WILL HAVE MORE TO ADD TO THIS POST SOON - STAY TUNED :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

HA HA HA JOHNBOY :D

I WILL HAVE MORE TO ADD TO THIS POST SOON - STAY TUNED :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I knew you would see this! You need to email the guys number....I never got it.