Differential issues 2003 SRT

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove a very low mileage 2003 SRT. The car behaved well with no issues. When returned to the dealership, I put reverse to park the car and a series of alarming metallic noises started coming from the rear of the transaxle. The dealer suggested it is a sticking brake calliper. I am suspecting a shot differential. What puzzeld me is the fact that when driving at full blast, everything appeared normal. Do 2003 SRTs suffer from diff problems?

I did not buy the car.

Any views greatly appreciated

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers are prone to being abused/misdriven. What kills the rear diff is wheelhop. Owners that do not know how to lift the throttle, when the rear wheels are bouncing up and down on a hard take-off. When driven properly, you'll likely never break a stock diff - even with a lot of extra power.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than guessing, you should have gone back and fourth a few times with someone standing back there to replicate the sound and pinpoint where it was coming from.

If your interested in the car then go back and do that and you could also have them put it on a lift to inspect.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mine used to clunk pretty hard when backing up out of a parking spot at high steer angles slowly. I think it was just a mix of cold oil and sticking clutch packs. Seemed to quiet down some more with a fluid change though. Haven't heard it lately, but it also hasn't been really cold like when it was first happening.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the 03's had some issues with diffs. I would drain the oil into a clean pan and look for metal flakes or chunks. If it is the original diff with higher miles then most likely it's shot. I replaced 2 failed diff at VOI 12 and both were 03's.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes the 03's had some issues with diffs. I would drain the oil into a clean pan and look for metal flakes or chunks. If it is the original diff with higher miles then most likely it's shot. I replaced 2 failed diff at VOI 12 and both were 03's.

+1. In addition to looking at the oil, see if you can sneak a small rare-earth magnet up into the driver side drain hole, pushing it along the bottom of the case and forward an inch or two. Pull it back out (with the string you previously attached to it) and if you have chunks of gear teeth on it, there's a good chance that the spider gears are toast.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had my diff fluid changed a couple months ago with 30,000 miles on the car. Don't know how the other owner drove it, but my mechanic didn't see anything out of the ordinary in the old fluid.

You didn't buy the car, smart move, as there are plenty of these cars out there.

OP
OP
M

mad prof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Differential issues 2003 SRT– update

Thanks to all for suggestions. I went back to the dealer and took the car for another test drive. Again, all went pretty well. I listened for noises or clunks from the rear, but all appeared normal.

On my return to the dealership (Main Dodge / Chrysler Dealership in Toronto), I had my wife reverse the car with full lock on the steering wheel, so I could hear for any noises.

Serious noises came from the diff and the car slightly jumped every time my wife lifted the clutch.

I suggested to the dealer to lift the car up in the hoist. He agreed, but he did not let me near any tools. I turned one wheel in the forward direction and noticed the other wheel remaining static. Then, I tried to turn the wheel in the reverse direction and the both wheels seized. There was a metallic noise from the diff indicating something wrong with the gears inside!

The dealer was embarrassed and suggested a rebuild differential, should I decide to proceed with the purchase. Car has 9.342 klms.

Since the Viper is a present for my wife, I walked away from the transaction, knowing that there might be other skeletons in that car.

I will report back when I get one.

Greatly appreciate all your input.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suggested to the dealer to lift the car up in the hoist. He agreed, but he did not let me near any tools. I turned one wheel in the forward direction and noticed the other wheel remaining static. Then, I tried to turn the wheel in the reverse direction and the both wheels seized. There was a metallic noise from the diff indicating something wrong with the gears inside!

Yikes!!!

Good luck with your on-going search...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang