Dipstick Oil Leak?

kenbrackins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

Searched forum but can't find anything on my problem. I have a slight oil leak that comes up after driving(2004 16k miles). After careful inspection, it looks like its leaking around the base of the dipstick tube. Must be an O-ring gone bad. I saw where many people had the problem around pan bolts but I don't think thats where mine is coming from. Anyone have a similar problem. I don't won't to disturb the seal before I am sure thats where the problem is. Thanks so much for any advice.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no o ring. The dip stick tube is an interference fit. You may want to check the oil pan gasket (just above the dip stick tube). If it is the tube you can remove it and add anaerobic sealer to the base.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Very easy to fix as the tube is held in place by the lower right valve cover bolt and as Garron said, there is no o-ring or gasket. Unbolt it, wiggle it out, clean off the end, slap on some high temp rtv, put back in place and your leak is gone.

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I had a dipstick leak in the past too and fixed it as above.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kenbrackins, don't know if you're still posting here. I think I might have this same issue, my 03 with 31,000 has had a mysterious leak for a couple years now. I have another post out there about it, and I think it's either the pan gasket, or the dipstick. Looking with a flashlight at where the dipstick tube enters the pan, I can certainly see wetness, and around the seems of the pan My leak actually drips off the AC compressor hose, just a few drops at a time, and only after the engine has warmed up.

Just wanted to see if the dipstick was actually your problem. I'll be getting my car on a lift at a buddy's house soon, and we'll probably just replace the pan gasket (I have one on order from VPA), but I was curious as to the outcome of your situation. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960