dissapointed by use of cast pistons in SRT10

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does anyone know the reasoning behind PVO using cast pistons instead of stronger forged pistons in a 500hp motor. i read they're lighter but are they better in some other ways? does the comp coupe use the same pistons? i hope i'm missing something here and i hope it's not cost savings.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They probably looked at the design and determined that the benefits of forged pistons (strength) were outweighed (pun intended) by the benefits of cast (lighter, better seal to cylinder bore, slightly quicker revving, etc).

I'd like to hear the offical word, but I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about it as a limiting factor.

OP
OP
E

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks mike and marv s. i feel a little better. the specs i read on this board only said cast aluminum alloy, no mention of eutectic cast. from what you have said can i assume that the pistons are cast eutectic in the srt10 and the comp coup. if so the only drawback would be you wouldn't be advised to put a blower or turbo without changing to forged pistons. please correct me if that is not correct.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't remember which magazine had it, but I am pretty sure VIPER magazine addressed this when the cast pistons first came out in the 2000 model year Vipers. I do remember that they said that the hypereutectic cast pistons were supposedly 38% stronger than forged, while lighter weight and providing a better seal. I also know that every single source I have read suggests that supercharging or NOS on these pistons are a no-no. Nonetheless, I think there are a few supercharged creampuffs out there and it will be interesting to see how they fare.

Chris

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quality hyperuetectic piston is good for 1000+hp guys - contact Keith Black and get the proof. relax.

The only reason forged pistons have any advantage is they can handle detonation better. So what - if you detonate that badly, the forged units won't last much longer anyway! There's no excuse for severe detonation on a modern EFI engine - that's what knock sensors and computer engine management is for.

NOS and Boost are fine with hyperuetectic pistons provided the engine does not knock/detonate severely... and that comes down to good engine building, good parts, good tuning - especially good engine management. They are not recommended for NO2/turbos etc because most guys push the limits and don't take the time to tune properly....

Many hot rodders are bozo's lets face it - they spend heaps of money on go fast goodies that someone told them over a beer works; they bolt it on without blueprinting, and then wind up the timing to see how fast they can get it to run - then wonder why it goes bang.. and cry over their next beer before going out and spending more money to do it again. Thats why manufacturers get reluctant to recommend anything short of full race parts.

Viper owners tend to be more discerning, and I'd expect any Viper tuner worth their salt would not sell a setup that detonated. No detonation = no problem for any likely street application!

I'd run hyperuetectic pistons anyday over forged units for a car that gets street driven a lot. Forged pistons operate at wider clearances that make them noisy. I'd take the lighter weight, the better seal/more power of the hyperutectic. Run em with a tight quench (around 0.040") in a blueprinted engine and you'll have a real crisp road weapon.

The real question about boost or NOS is not so much if they are forged or hyper but in their design -

are the crowns strong enough for very high combustion pressures, are the pins strong enough for high stress, are the top rings too close to the top to seal boosted power - that is more relevant - and I don't know as I've not seen an SRT10 piston. NOS Viper engines don't need high rpms - and high power at low rpm produces a lot less stress than high rpm power PROVIDED the NO2 is injected at correct ratios per load and rpm - and this comes back to good engine management including NO2 management. If the pistons melt - 99/100 its a bad setup/bad tune - not the pistons fault!

My guess is there is plenty in reserve from a factory piston for up to 10psi boost. If 10psi is a problem - I'd be pretty disappointed with Chrysler. Chrylser have a history of over-engineering and on a flagship performance model I hardly think their pistons will be maxed out at 1hp per cube. IMHO

If you want to run over 10psi in any non factory turbo/blown engine you should be using top shelf racing pistons in any event, so factory piston becomes irrelevant.